That's one big wing! 1/48 RB.57F

On 2/10/2019 at 2:26 PM, Retired Bob said:

Okay, was it a case of take set of Canberra wheels then scratch build a RB.57F on top of them? :whistle:  Very impressive model. :worthy:

Except that I bet he used some aftermarket wheels!

What I'm especially (or "even more") impressed by is that I can still remember when you started this one, "Kid".  And thank you for the group shot- I hate it when people post one of a group but don't do the group!

- "Wish I Were Retired" Bob

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I also wondered if the wheels were aftermarket, but seeing as the intakes were light fittings and the wings from a bath panel I thought Canberra Kid must have used some parts of the kit.  If he had banged his head  as many times as I had working on Canberra's he might not be so obsessed. 

I had to work for 46 years for that epithet. :penguin:

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, tonyot said:

It was great great to see this wonderful model in the plastic/fibreglass for real on Sunday John,........ you have surpassed your already high standards,.... it looks fabulous mate!

Cheers

Tony 

Thanks Tony, it was fab to see and catch up with you mate! 

9 hours ago, MickE said:

looks great, well done.

Thank Mike

8 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

now that's a real whopper of a scratch - great work

Thank you, it was a fun build.

John

• Like 1

6 hours ago, F-32 said:

Absolutely superb work

Thanks!

3 hours ago, gingerbob said:

What I'm especially (or "even more") impressed by is that I can still remember when you started this one, "Kid".  And thank you for the group shot- I hate it when people post one of a group but don't do the group!

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

I also wondered if the wheels were aftermarket, but seeing as the intakes were light fittings and the wings from a bath panel I thought Canberra Kid must have used some parts of the kit.  If he had banged his head  as many times as I had working on Canberra's he might not be so obsessed. 

I had to work for 46 years for that epithet. :penguin:

The wheels are a mix as you can see from this photo, I helped out a modeler in Poland with some info, in return he did me a photo etch of the B.57 hub. I combined the hub with the kit wheel and fellow SIG member Gary cast them up. 

BKZsVA.jpg

@Retired Bob I too have banged my head on that door, perhaps not as often as you but enough to know what it's like :) 

John 

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, canberra kid said:

Thanks!

The wheels are a mix as you can see from this photo, I helped out a modeler in Poland with some info, in return he did me a photo etch of the B.57 hub. I combined the hub with the kit wheel and fellow SIG member Gary cast them up. 

BKZsVA.jpg

@Retired Bob I too have banged my head on that door, perhaps not as often as you but enough to know what it's like :) 

John 

Hi John

Those wheels look very good, perhaps you should start a new business with your friend and produce them!

Yes that door, and the bomb beam in the bomb bay.  To remove the ejection seats out of the bubble canopied Canberra's you had to dis-arm, partially dismantle the seat, and then take them out through the doorway.  Refit was a reverse operation, T4's were double fun.

Bob

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi John

Those wheels look very good, perhaps you should start a new business with your friend and produce them!

Yes that door, and the bomb beam in the bomb bay.  To remove the ejection seats out of the bubble canopied Canberra's you had to dis-arm, partially dismantle the seat, and then take them out through the doorway.  Refit was a reverse operation, T4's were double fun.

Bob

Thanks Bob, unfortunately I got pipped at the post by some Ruski outfit that have done, I must say two types of very nice Martin wheels. I've got one set of them just to check them out but I'll continue to use mine. The set change was a nightmare, but easier than taking the canopy off and back on! Did you ever work on the T.4's with bucket seats, a much easier job I would imagine.

John   

On 15/02/2019 at 19:20, canberra kid said:

Thanks Bob, unfortunately I got pipped at the post by some Ruski outfit that have done, I must say two types of very nice Martin wheels. I've got one set of them just to check them out but I'll continue to use mine. The set change was a nightmare, but easier than taking the canopy off and back on! Did you ever work on the T.4's with bucket seats, a much easier job I would imagine.

John   

Hi John.  To quote Bony M, "Oh those Russians", Though they do make some nice wheels.

My experience with "The Mighty Canberra" was at Marham in the 70's & 80's, working on B.2's,B.6's &  E.15's of 100 Sqn and T.4's of 231 OCU.  Not sure about T.4's with bucket seats, as far as I can recall they were just MB Mk.2's with the r/h one able to swing forward to allow the Nav to get in the back.  I can only recall the canopy being removed once, after a crack had developed.

Bob

14 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi John.  To quote Bony M, "Oh those Russians", Though they do make some nice wheels.

My experience with "The Mighty Canberra" was at Marham in the 70's & 80's, working on B.2's,B.6's &  E.15's of 100 Sqn and T.4's of 231 OCU.  Not sure about T.4's with bucket seats, as far as I can recall they were just MB Mk.2's with the r/h one able to swing forward to allow the Nav to get in the back.  I can only recall the canopy being removed once, after a crack had developed.

Bob

ah, I didn't realise you were a youngster, the bucket seat T.4's were right at the start around 1955, they weren't around long before MB got the bag seats sorted.

John

4 hours ago, canberra kid said:

ah, I didn't realise you were a youngster, the bucket seat T.4's were right at the start around 1955, they weren't around long before MB got the bag seats sorted.

John

I always thought the bang seat in the Canberra's driving position was Heath Robinson to say the least, I heard that on the test flight, because the bang seats had not been ready to install,  Roly Beaumont flew the prototype sitting on a wooden box, or is that another fake news from 49. :hmmm:(formerly known as urban myth)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Absolutely outstanding and a joy to watch your build develop too.

Just curious as to what you used for your antena cable?

Thanks Mike, I use nylon thread for my aerials, I did try Lycra but I've found it tends to breakdown over time.

John