Ooh-err missus, my Pink Spitfire got some lovely snaps of your Brest

With a title like this I'll be so disappointed if I don't get a @CedB visit in my near future!!

R7059 - built as Mk 1 - first flew Eastleigh 1st Feb '41. Delivered 6 MU 7th Feb. 14th March '41 to Heston Aircraft limited for conversion to PR Mk 1G. 1st May '41 delivered to 1 PRU and based at RAF St Eval for 'dicing' missions watching German battle Cruisers in Brest harbour. (Description stolen from one of @Iain (32SIG)'s post on LSP, thank you Iain.)

Well this is what we are aiming for, pictures were found on a cursory Google search for Spitfire PR MkIG R7059 and are posted as fair use and for comparison and cricism with my build.

Spitfire-PR.IG-RAF-1PRU-LY-R7059-St-Eval-Cornwall-England-1941-01AIRCRAFT OF THE ROYAL AIR FORCE, 1939-1945: SUPERMARINE SPITFIRE.Spitfire PR IG v2

From these photos I can see no evidence of patches over the Browning muzzles so I have left these in PRU Pink, and I can see no evidence of stencilling or walkway lines so didn't do any of that either!

The kit was the old Tamiya MkI with a MKV Oil Cooler and windscreen and a Pavla PRU canopy.  The PRU Pink was Hataka's take on this contentious colour and is light enough for my eyes when compared to the B&W images above.  The panel lines do seem quite pronounced against a light background colour so I have applied a grey Flory wash to enhance them on my effort.

Let's show the dog the rabbit:

I found the Hataka paint difficult to work with as it dried on the tip of my H&S Ultra far too often.  I tried W&N Flow Enhancer that just made it spider all over the place (as did Tamiya X-20A) so as I fancy doing another PR Spit but in Camoutint (also in the Hataka PRU Range) I have got some Hataka thinner in to see how that goes.

The serial and tail flash decals came from the Pavla conversion set with the the Squadron codes from an old Almark PRU set (strange they weren't included in the Pavla set as I couldn't find any references of R7059 without the LY).  The roundels were from a generic Xtradecal sheet.

The seat was from Ultracast and Eduard MK.I P/E was used to enhance the cockpit.  Unfortunately the foam I used to mask the cockpit reacted with something and stuck to all the cockpit surfaces and in future loo roll will be used for this.  It also reacted with the canopy so it's not quite as crisp and clear as I'd like but I just want this one to be done!!!  The furry cockpit was indeed a sight to behold!!!

The final matt coat came from W&N.

Also with this being such a light colour I kept leaving fingerprints all over the place which I had to constantly rub off with cotton buds.

All gentleish C&C welcome, thanks for looking in.

Chris  

• Like 71
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2019 at 6:59 PM, Retired Bob said:

Very nice pinky Spitfire, weathered to perfection.  I have had the same problem with Hataka paint, dries very quickly both in the cup and on the needle.

Bob

Thank you Bob and sorry to hear it wasn't just me.  I will be having another go with the brand, however I will use their own thinners next time.  Will do a WIP for the Camoutint Spit, just don't know quite when.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:10 PM, RMCS said:

Brilliant 

On 2/10/2019 at 10:47 PM, stevej60 said:

Great work Chris,very different to the usual Spitfire scheme's.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:45 AM, Mig88 said:

Smashing job and great finish! Nicely done indeed!

Miguel

Thank you for your compliments Richard, Steve & Miguel.  Glad you all liked it.

On 2/11/2019 at 5:28 AM, Learstang said:

Very nice! This very aeroplane is in my future, from the AZ kit of the PR MkIG. It will be interesting to see what I end up using for the light pink finish.

Regards,

Jason

Going through a fascination with PRU Spits at the moment myself.  If the Hataka would behave itself then I'd recommend it highly Jason as I think it's a convincing shade (if you can be convinced by verbal descriptions of a colour rather than by a physical specimen), however it's a 3 Stars out of 5 for me at this point.  Roll on the Camoutint and see if we can push that score up.

Looking forward to seeing your variation upon the theme.

On 2/11/2019 at 5:23 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good looking Pink Spitfire :thumbsup: ... that just sounds funny to say.

Dirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty Boy, in your box!!!!     Thank you Dennis

On 2/11/2019 at 10:38 AM, stevehnz said:

A very good looking PR Spitfire, albeit a bit weird looking with those funny roundel placements, why ever did they do that?

Steve.

Thanks too Steve, perhaps the placement is to confuse the eye as a potential attacker may see the roundels and lose the correct sense of the range its target is at as they're not seeing what they expect to see?

Thanks also for those who took the time to "Like" my work, it is appreciated.

Chris  

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Fatcawthorne said:

Going through a fascination with PRU Spits at the moment myself.  If the Hataka would behave itself then I'd recommend it highly Jason as I think it's a convincing shade (if you can be convinced by verbal descriptions of a colour rather than by a physical specimen), however it's a 3 Stars out of 5 for me at this point.  Roll on the Camoutint and see if we can push that score up.

Hi Chris

I too became interested with PRU Spitfires, I bought one of the Pavla conversion sets (U48-57) which was made for the old Airfix Mk 1, I started to convert the newest Airfix Mk 1 but changed from a pink PR1G to a dark blue PRVI with SEAC roundels, this aircraft, with Voakes air filter and the name "the Flying Scotsman" is stalled pending me finding more info on camera fit etc.  I have disarmed the wings and test sprayed the Hataka dark blue, with the ensuing drying problems,  I will finish it this year.

Bob

• 10 months later...

excellent build. Did you unearth anything on why the wing roundels were placed as they were?

I can only think it was to further hide them, and perhaps to reduce them being used as aiming points, but I've never seen any explanation for it

Bruce

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It is a thing of beauty and a tribute to the brave men who flew them.

From what I've read, the navigation could be difficult,  and let's not forget there were no guns, cockpit heating,or back up from a wingman.