Airfix Vampire T-11 1/72 Finished

almac

Afternoon all. As the title says I will be building the Airfix  Vampire for this group build. It looks to be a straightforward build so hopefully it should go OK.

Cheers Allan

• Like 5

It's a sweet little kit Allan, goes together a treat. The only gotcha is the main undercarriage- Airfix would have you fit it early in the build and then assemble the rest around it. That's ok (it allows for a solid and exact placement), but it gets in the way and is liable to breakage. A little bit of modification allows it to be fitted last, as makes sense. I can't recall exactly what's needed, but a bit of inspectoring should reveal all.

Enjoy the build, and welcome to the GB!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all. I made a modest start tonight by painting the interior bits Nato black. I'm waiting on some Pavla resin seats to arrive before I go any further. They will certainly test my detail painting skills but I thought I should give it a go as I'll never improve if I avoid attempting difficult jobs. 

potsIFQ.jpg?1

Cheers Allan

• Like 4

Good start Alan and I can understand why you want to go with the Pavla seats; the seats on the real machine dominate the cockpit area and will draw a lot of attention.

• Thanks 1

Evening all. No progress today the packs seats arrived today but they are damaged. The ejection handles on both are broken off. I think they will glue on ok. Ordinarily I would contact the seller but looking at their feedback they don’t appear to deal with problems too well so I think I may waste my time complaining. It puts me off from buying from them again. 

Cheers Allan 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Sorry to hear your bad news about the broken seats, please don't let this put you off carrying on with the build, what you have done so far looks the business.

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat. The broken seats haven’t put me off but I must admit painting them is a bit daunting if I’m honest as detail painting is not my strong point. I’ve also been building the Airfix fortress III which is proving to be a long build for one reason or another. Anyways I’ll crack on soon with the vampire.

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 1:12 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Allan

Any news on the Vampire ?

cheers Pat

Hi Pat no progress yet trying to finish off a Tamiya zero first. I hope to crack on with the vampire next week.

Cheers Allan 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all. Finally got going with this kit last night. It’s taken a while to get the motivation to do it but I’m glad I did as it’s  a superb little kit. I haven’t started the seats yet will do them later and pop them in nearer the end. I spent a fun few hours last night and this is where I got to. 

First up the cockpit before it’s closed up.I remembered to add nose weight as this is a definite tail-sitter.jqOFR76.jpg

Next I closed it up and added the top wings. Tail booms were next. The seams on the fuselage and booms needed tidying up but nothing major.

TTZ04A7.jpg

This is going quite quickly for me with no real issues so far. I should get more done this morning.

Cheers Allan 

• Like 1

Afternoon all. Spent an hour this afternoon on the Vampire and this is where I’m at. Some tidying up to do but nothing serious.

TaIhXiN.jpg

Cheers Allan

• Like 4

7 hours ago, CliffB said:

Rapid progress, but still beautifully put together.  Have you decided on a scheme yet?

Thanks for your feedback Cliff,much appreciated. As to the colour scheme I think I’ll be going with the box art scheme. The other one looks nice but I don’t have the paint. I’ve also just found a starter kit with Australian markings. I have  no memory of buying this one! I think I’ve got too many kits. 

Cheers Allan 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 10:49 PM, Col. said:

Nice work Allan. Have you made any further progress with this one?

Thanks Col. Kind of stalled on this one. My attention has been on other projects but I will get this one moving again this week.

Cheers Allan 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all. Today I managed some to find some time to move this one forward. I painted the NMF with AK extreme aluminium. It highlighted some areas needing cleaned up that I had missed but nothing major. I won’t be doing the  box- top finish as I can’t figure out how mask the area around the wheel well for the yellow bands. With the undercarriage in place It looks very tricky. I will use the Australian markings from the starter kit. I’ll figure out a way to leave fitting the undercarriage till after the painting when I next attempt this kit. 

Anyways the deadline is fast approaching but I think I’ll manage to finish in time.

Cheers Allan 

YdCLxmo.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all. Well I managed to finish this one on time. Earlier in the week it didn't look possible as l had to reprime after attending to the flaws the NMF showed up. The original metal finish was with AK extreme aluminium which sprays easily and looks the part. The problem is the fumes are very strong and Her indoors objected. So instead I used Vallejo Aluminium which being acrylic I found harder to use and not such a nice finish. Anyways it's finished but being a rush job at the end it's not so great particularly the canopy which suffered from paint leaks which refused to come off when I tried to clean it up.

I must point out that the markings are from the Royal New Zealand Air Force and not Australia. I managed to confuse an emu with a kangaroo, must get stronger reading glasses I think. 

Tomorrow I'll take some more pictures in daylight but for now here are a few pics.

Cheers Allan

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

That's an excellent finish. By the way a Emu is an Australian bird. The bird on the New Zealand roundels is a Kiwi. This is our national bird. It is a small flightless bird.

Thanks for your feedback Greg. My apologies for mixing up Kiwi and Emu. 

Cheers Allan