Endeavour's Longboat 1:50 scale

Jase

Sometimes I sit at my desk and find I am just not in the mood for what is sat in front of me.  I have been working on Plastic and resin kits exclusively for 18 months now which has lead to a growing need to get some relief from a wood kit again.  

Not wanting to tackle anything to large as I plan to get stuck into a much larger wood kit once I have a couple of other builds done. Endevours Longboat by Artasina Latina fits the bill nicely.  Now as a rule I don't buy Artasina Latina kits as they are not being on accuracy, but they do have very good instructions and are generally good kits for beginners and intermediate builders.  I actually won this in a competition on another forum that I seldom visit these days as it spends more time reposting the newspapers that anything to do with modelling!

As this is my first wood kit build on this forum I will take a bit more time on my way of working, as we all do things differently..

One of the nice things about AL kits, is that the box art is always the actual kit, so you know what your getting.

40085324193_84e448ad04_k.jpg

The box content is the usual mix in an AL kit a mix of good quality woods some ply parts, pre stitched sails and a box with the thread, pins, cast metal parts and other bits n bobs required for the build.

46326327034_6ef03fcfca_k.jpg

The build starts with the removal and clean up of the keel frame.  It's worth flicking through the instructions to establish if any of this part will be visible on the finished model.

After removing from the ply sheet the tabs were smoothed flat with a small file.  The for mast brace (just behind the number 2 on the pic below) will be visible on the end kit so this area git sanded with fine sandpaper to remove the laser burn and the open grain of the wood.

33175028648_858ed3647e_k.jpg

The various ribs go in next, clean up followed the same process, there is a small part of each rib visible once the build is complete, so again they got some extra attention.  each part was dry fitted prior to gluing in place, I am using Aliphatic wood glue.  I am also using a magnetic board as a keel jig to help ensure the ribs get set at a perfect 90 degrees angle to the keel frame.

Once the Ribs are in there are two stern formers and 4 bow formers to be added.

40085398063_6648602581_k.jpg

47050315941_59545a7365_k.jpg

The assembly is then moved to my keel jig before further building.

47050347961_a712a88f89_k.jpg

There is some ply parts to be added next, these include a false deck, forward and aft bulkheads and rails, these all need to be fixed in place to add rigidity to the Frame before we fair the hull.  To help keep the rails in the correct place while the glue dries I used some mini pegs as clamps, these have the advantage of not damaging the wood.

46326314214_36cb18f4d7_k.jpg

47050360551_d467bc1f47_k.jpg

Jase

• Like 10

Nice work Jase, as you say, “we all work differently”. I’m (slowly) working my way through the Corel kit of the Endeavour and is my second wooden kit and it’s good to see the approach that others take. I’ll be following this with interest. Regards Ian

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Watching with interest (and slowly plucking up courage to try a wood boat in the future:unsure:)

Rob

18 minutes ago, David Hallsworth said:

My aim eventually is to build a nice wooden ship.  This looks very good so far and will be watching with interest. 

Thanks for posting it. 

I can highly recommend the Caldercraft kit of the Scooner Pickle as a good first build, its a hily accurate kit with very detailed instructions and plans its a good 6 - 12 month project that has a bit of everything masts yards simple rigging and an introduction to making shrouds

I will post some pictures

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

At this point it is worth pointing out that this is a plank on frame build which is more difficult than a plank on bulkhead mild as it is more fragile.  interestingly the rail inserted inside the frames on the instructions picture shows that it has broken and been repaired. it is very fragile and has broken on me 6 times now.

so on with the build next stage is fairing (shaping) the bow and stern frames to get the shape correct for the planks.  I use Permalinks-Grit tools for this task its much quicker than sanding and they do not clog, I have both corse and fine and hade them some years now.

46375263865_c82c767b93_k.jpg

46566748824_a7b7724ecf_k.jpg

46375241675_558ac012bf_k.jpg

Once this was done I ran a bead of adhesive along all the joints just to add strength.

32348114067_5c8a33de45_k.jpg

Next task is to plank the hull.  This kit is double planked, I recommend getting a kit with double planking if you have not done a wooden ship before as first planking slows you to get away with things the second planking won't, like gaps.

So these are the tools I primarily use other than clamps but I will discuss them as I go.

• Brass nails
  • Nail pusher, I recommend  one with an adjustable stop
  • pencil
  • steel rule
  • micro saw
  • nail pulling tool
  • micro plane
  • medium grit sandpaper

In addition a clamp or vice for holding the wood strips wile shopping them.

46566709464_dd1cdc5dd0_k.jpg

we have to bend the planks to the shape of the hull before fitting them, there are a number of ways to do this, mechanical plank benders, electric plank benders, soaking in water but for me stem is by far the easiest and quickest method.

take a look at this video I did for my HMS pickle project that explains how this is done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQNlNPw1J8

Jase

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...