Curtiss Tomahawk IIB

Ready for inspection is my latest build Airfix's 1:72 Curtiss Tomahawk IIB. The kit was a gift I received for Christmas, and apart from my homemade stand and my decision to use Vallejo acrylics, the aircraft is built straight as it comes from the box. There was very little flash, and there was quite a nice amount of detailing in the panel lines etc. I was a little dubious as to how well the sharks mouth decal would fit and settle, but my worrying was for nothing as it went on smoothly with a splash of Micro Sol. All in all it was a nice little kit to build, thanks for looking.

IMG_20190210_153200

IMG_20190210_153200

IMG_20190210_153210

IMG_20190210_153230IMG_20190210_153234

IMG_20190210_153240

IMG_20190210_153247

• Like 26

Hi Michelle,

what a great build! 

It is a slight pity though, that you have followed the painting instructions from Airfix, who shamelessly misled you into painting the spinner in black instead of red!!!

Was your kit of the starter variety with paints, etc?

If that was the case, then you have been had by the manufacturer who is trying to keep the necessary paints as few as possible.... Disgraceful! So they scrap the red, and put black, a paint already needed for the prop , the wheels, etc...

Anyway, it is still a beautiful model.

JR

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Michelle,

what a great build! 

It is a slight pity though, that you have followed the painting instructions from Airfix, who shamelessly misled you into painting the spinner in black instead of red!!!

Was your kit of the starter variety with paints, etc?

If that was the case, then you have been had by the manufacturer who is trying to keep the necessary paints as few as possible.... Disgraceful! So they scrap the red, and put black, a paint already needed for the prop , the wheels, etc...

Anyway, it is still a beautiful model.

JR

Thanks Jean, it is indeed a starter kit and a straight from the box build. Maybe a little more research is needed in future.

Thanks again,

Michelle.