Trainers GB Rules

Rob G

Welcome all.

Apologies for the long thread, but I wanted to address specific cases raised in the chat thread about aircraft, which is what the majority of entries will be. I’m hoping that at least a few of us will be able to see outside the obvious scope of this GB and add some variety. While I love aircraft and have come to appreciate training types, it would be grand indeed to see some out-of-the-box thinking, and I strongly encourage that.

As always, standard Britmodeller GB rules apply- open a thread in the GB forum, regular updates with progress photos, your entry can be no more than 25% complete before the GB starts - you all know how it goes (ask if you're unsure!).

The Group Build will run from 00:00hrs 16 February to 23:59hrs 9 June 2019 GMT/UTC/Zulu (delete as appropriate).

To specifics.

1.       The GB is open to plastic, resin or metal (not factory assembled die cast) models of ANY vehicle, device and/or situation that is or was used for the training of people in the operation of that vehicle or gaining of the skill, with exceptions as noted below. The scale, manufacturer, addition (or not) of aftermarket parts or decals etc is open to the modeller to decide.

2.       While aircraft are welcome, non-aviation subjects are encouraged, and there are many examples. Driver training tanks, civilian driving school cars, etc. A vignette of SAS soldiers enacting a forced entry with clearly visible blank-firing attachments on their weapons would also be appropriate. A case could even be made for a classroom vignette!

3.       In the case of civilian aircraft, cars, trucks, buses etc, some evidence of their use in a training capacity should be APPLIED to the model – flight school decals, ‘L’ plates, something of that ilk. Please. (I know, I’m harsh.) In some limited case an exception may be made, if supporting evidence is supplied.

4.       Twin seat military aircraft ARE NOT automatically eligible UNLESS they are clearly identified as standard training types or evidence is provided to prove that they were modified for or being used in a DEDICATED training role – therefore, a TF-104 Starfighter or Lightning T.4 (2 seat versions of single seat aircraft) is eligible, but a Vietnam war F-4 Phantom II is not. If in doubt, gather your evidence and present it via PM, please.

5.       Aircraft from Operational Conversion Units, Training Flights, Test and Evaluation squadrons and the like are welcome, even if they are single seaters, as long as their unit assignment is able to be easily discerned from their markings etc (an aircraft that was used for 2 weeks by a unit and never had the unit’s insignia applied is possibly pushing things a little too far). Training and check rides often take place in single seat aircraft that are issued to such squadrons. If you really want to do something nebulous, please PM me and be prepared to provide evidence.

6.       Target tugs, aircraft turrets fixed to truck (lorry) beds, Link Trainers, flight simulators and the like are eligible.

7.       What-if and science fiction subjects are not eligible for this GB. SF builders can take solace in making real space models (the Apollo crews trained in reproduction modules) and I’m sure that there’s other types I know nothing about. The WIFF crew are in Coventry here, sorry.

8.       Training type aircraft in display team colours are not eligible. Despite the usual usage of the type, when used in a display team they aren’t being used ‘for training’, except in the general sense that every military mission that is flown without a direct combat role is ‘training’, and where does one draw the line for that? In the interests of not having to discuss things ad infinitum, I’ve decided on a blanket ban for display teams. Also ineligible are 2 seat training types attached to combat squadrons when they are depicted in either ‘special markings’ ie Tiger Meet colours or if they are built with an offensive war load – practice bombs are fine, clusters of Mk.82 Snakeyes are not.

As always, if there’s any doubt about your choice of subject, PLEASE CONTACT ME via PM and we’ll see what we can work out. I trust that the rules aren’t too restrictive or hard to understand, and I also trust that the spirit of the GB will be plain.

Here’s to a great 4 months, and I wish you all the best in your modelling endeavours!

• Like 4