My Sabre builds...

I have noticed a number of modelers on BM that seem to have long running threads of their builds and thought that that would be very useful for my finished Sabres. So here we go.

IMG-7085.jpg

F-86A Sabre 'Miss Louise, 4th FIW, USAF, Kimpo AFB, Korea, cir. 1951.

Built from the Hobbycraft kit; backdated the wings, pylons moved inboard, correct gun-sight fitted, got rid of the tail plane actuator fairings, Pavla canopy. Humbrol Metalcote Polished Aluminium enamel paint. Decals from Matchbox kit.

20170519_210401.jpg&key=db25bd17b1237cb1

TF-86F 2-Seater Sabre Trainer

Fuselage is a Vacform by Falcon. Everything else came mainly from a Hobbycraft kit and spares bin, wings backdated, pylons moved inboard, correct gun-sight fitted. Humbrol Metalcote Polished Aluminium enamel paint. Hobbycraft decals, serials and such were DIY. WiP here: 

IMG_7681.jpg&key=239bf53cad2c568610b8073

Canadair CL-13 Mk.2 Sabre. Aircraft '19241' of 421 Squadron, 2 Wing, RCAF, Grostenquin, France, 1954.

Hobbycraft kit with backdated wings, pylons moved inboard, correct gun-sight fitted. Humbrol Metalcote Polished Aluminium enamel paint. Model Alliance decals.

IMG_7848.jpg&key=0ae0c054b3db0c88edde3e9

F-86E Sabre. 'Lt Col. Ed Heller' aircraft 'HELL-ER BUST X', 16th FIS, Korea, 1953.

Hobbycraft kit with backdated wings, pylons moved inboard, correct gun-sight fitted. Humbrol Metalcote Polished Aluminium enamel paint. Kit decals.

20181222-194155-1.jpg&key=00c3fd992ff267

F-86E Sabre. 'RUTH I' No. 2 "Flying Cheetah" Squadron of the SAAF, Korea.

Hobbycraft kit with backdated wings, pylons moved inboard, correct gun-sight fitted. Humbrol Metalcote Polished Aluminium enamel paint. Kit decals. Microscale decals.

Stuart

• Like 52

• 1 month later...

Here is my recent addition to the Sabre collection.

IMG-8384.jpg

CA-27 Avon Sabre Mk30, A94-901, RAAF, 1954/55.

Tasman fuselage with Academy kit with mods. Decals from various pots to present the first production aircraft.

WiP here:

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 30

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

I'm glad you posted the recent one Stuart as I'd missed the previous post, lovely Sabre collection. 

Cheers Roger. I think the next Sabre subject will be a fighter-bomber variant.

Stuart

• Like 1

A lovely collection of Sabres there Stuart and it's always nice to see kits built by modellers who have a serious interest in their subject. I've got a 1/48 Mk.5 RCAF Sabre build lined up in the queue and threads like this only want to make me elevate it further.  Now can we please have some decent OOB early wing Sabres in both popular scales, there's so many great schemes to choose from! So what's next? 

Cheers and and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

Beautiful collection Stuart never "nailed" a natural metal sabre might have to try Metalcote.Favourite is the RAAF version that's a lovely finish.

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2019 at 10:34 PM, Courageous said:

it'll be a Hunter

Very wise choice Stuart!

I just got back from3 weeks in Japan and thought you might be interested in one of the kits I picked up for the stash. I'd not seen it before, It's made by Doyusha and it appears at first to be aimed at younger builders as wings and fuselage are each largely one piece mouldings, but they do contain some very neat scribed detail, and at first glance it looks like a respectable model. I only actually got back late last night so I've not had a chance to check for accuracy against any drawings etc. You may already have it, but others might have a view on the accuracy or ease of build?.

20190417_16262020190417_162633

If you don't have one you might want to look out for it.

Terry

• Like 3

Nice collection of Sabres.  I tried Humbrol Metalcote from a tinlet but could not get it to polish up. Did you use the spray can ? What do you think of metalcote?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

It's made by Doyusha

Never heard of them, so I haven't one in the stash. I'm sure you'll let us know in due course.

Now that you're back from your swaray in Japan, maybe you can turn hand to some plastic?

2 hours ago, twinpin said:

Did you use the spray can ? What do you think of metalcote?

I used the rattle can but I can't say I liked the finish that much. It never looked shiny like you see in the videos but I started with it and kept with it for conformity sake. In hindsight, I should've gone with another paint.

Stuart  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

They are all outstanding builds, but I really like the SAAF F-86E version! (Slightly off-topic- did you get my comments on the SH F-86H fuselage length?

Cheers Mike and yes, Martin forwarded your PM, thanks.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

great work especially on the TF-86. :worthy: I would love to build one of those someday. 

Cheers. We all want to build many things but alas, we don't always have time to build them.

Stuart

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Courageous said:

Never heard of them, so I haven't one in the stash. I'm sure you'll let us know in due course.

As @Tony Edmundson suggests, it seems to be a re-issue of the Hobby Boss release, and all that was not good with that! I picked it up for the equivalent of less that £4 so will have to see what can be made of it sometime.

12 hours ago, Courageous said:

Now that you're back from your swaray in Japan, maybe you can turn hand to some plastic?

I have a lot of catching up to do, as I've been away from serious modelling for close to 9 weeks now. Prior to japan I was working away from home for 6 weeks. Looking forward to some time at the bench now!

Terry

• Like 2

Thank you for your comments on metalcote.. I used Humbrol 11 acrylic, brush painted, on a USAF Airfix Sabre and was quite pleased with that result. {Posted January 2018}.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2019 at 16:51, Terry1954 said:

Very wise choice Stuart!

I just got back from3 weeks in Japan and thought you might be interested in one of the kits I picked up for the stash. I'd not seen it before, It's made by Doyusha and it appears at first to be aimed at younger builders as wings and fuselage are each largely one piece mouldings, but they do contain some very neat scribed detail, and at first glance it looks like a respectable model. I only actually got back late last night so I've not had a chance to check for accuracy against any drawings etc. You may already have it, but others might have a view on the accuracy or ease of build?.

20190417_162633

If you don't have one you might want to look out for it.

Terry

Sorry to Hijack Stuarts excellent thread but that looks like a rebox of the HobbyBoss easy kit.  Does not look to bad when built up, I have made a couple.

Julien

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1