Revell 1:72 Focke-Wulf Fw-200 airliner

This is the first official completion of 2019. Because of the recent snowy weather and the need to move my photo booth downstairs, I'm only just now starting to document the January and early February completions. 

The model is Revell's civil variant. It was delightfully free of the earlier kit's oversized rivets and went together well. It did spend some time on the Shelf of Shame, but only because of the daunting masking job that was required to get all those Black stripes laid down. Although the kit provides these as decals, they seemed pretty thick and matte to me, so I opted for paint instead. There were a couple of minor disasters along the way - lost parts due the model's long gestation, and some paint that pulled up when I took off all that intricate masking. But in the end, I don't think it came out too badly, especially given its history. It is always satisfying to rescue a longtime resident from the pending pile. The markings come from a Print Scale sheet, and depict the Fw-200 as part of the Berlin-New York record flight in 1938. 

This is completed aircraft #503 (1 aircraft, 0 ordnance, 0 vehicles for the year 2019), finished in January of 2019. As always, more details on the blog. 

DSC-1315.jpg

DSC-1316.jpg

DSC-1317.jpg

• Like 48

Well worth the wait and effort resulting in a great finish.   The FW200 airliner along with the DC2 & 3  and the DH91 mark the turn from old style stick and string airliners to the modern era for me.  Dont fancy doing the set by any chance?

Very nice indeed. I bought one recently, but I'll never build it as it's too big for my display case so whenever Roden produce their 1/144 kit (hopefully civil Condor) it'll be moved on. Hoping mine turns out as nicely as yours.

Jeff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Well worth the wait and effort resulting in a great finish.   The FW200 airliner along with the DC2 & 3  and the DH91 mark the turn from old style stick and string airliners to the modern era for me.  Dont fancy doing the set by any chance?

I have a completed DC-3 in Lufthansa markings and a (non-Lufthansa) DC-2. And a Ju-86. Plus I have the DH-91 primered up and just awaiting a bit more moderate weather to get down to the garage and get the Aluminum topcoat put on. Once I get my display cases rearranged (which might not be til summer) I'm planning on doing some photos of related types that I've completed. By then the DH-91 should be all finished barring catastrophe (never out of the realm of possibility here at the 72 Land production facility.....)

Edited by Kevin Callahan
  • Like 1

Being pretty happy with the Fw-200, I've been thinking about that civil He-111C from Roden, the one that got away. One of the few kits I have ever actually trashed midway through. That keeps nagging at me (I'm pretty committed to finish what I actually get started, though admittedly a couple of decades may pass between starting and completing). And I'd love to get the He-116 and Ju-60 from Classic Plane, but I've never made a purchase from their online shop and their website is seriously deficient when it comes to photos of what comes in the box.  Any experience that the collective can pass on would be appreciated. And Planet does a couple of (resin) 20s/30s Lufthansa types. So I'm not done with the Lufthansa classics in 1:72 just yet...

A really good looing model and a nightmare to mask off from what I can see.  I'm doing the same kit at the moment though I've got the decals to do Hitler's personal aircraft. The kit decals are perished beyond use. Tempted by the Danish version as I'd rather not shove swastikas all over it. 🤔

Ah, Kevin, that is lovely :). I built a Revell Condor while still at school in the 1970s and it is a machine that has remaining in my memory with affection ever since. Yours is a beauty :).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2019 at 5:05 PM, HP42 said:

A really good looing model and a nightmare to mask off from what I can see.  I'm doing the same kit at the moment though I've got the decals to do Hitler's personal aircraft. The kit decals are perished beyond use. Tempted by the Danish version as I'd rather not shove swastikas all over it. 🤔

If you can wait a little bit, Ruben Husberg of Lima November Decals is planning to release some Danish Airlines decals for the Focke Wulf later this year.

Cheers

Thomas

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas737 said:

If you can wait a little bit, Ruben Husberg of Lima November Decals is planning to release some Danish Airlines decals for the Focke Wulf later this year.

Cheers

Thomas

Thanks for that. I've actually finished it and it's in the cabinet. Very majestic looking thing, have a spare kit so may do the Danish version one day. 

On 2/18/2019 at 1:16 AM, roginoz said:

That's lovely, Kev.

Why does it look like the u/c's collapsed.......??

Rog

Well, that would be because the undercarriage collapsed right before I took the photos! Actually, the wheel came disengaged from the gear itself. I've since rectified it so it is back to where it needs to be. 

Murphys Law of Model Photography strikes again...

Edited by Kevin Callahan
  • Haha 1

Very nice indeed!

I think I've seen the kit in a few 2nd-hand lots now and again; but never looked in the box.

I think it makes a nice subject as an airliner - quite regal looking.

Is that an unglazed porthole each side of the cockpit, or an optical illusion?

Well done, anyway.

:goodjob::clap:

5 hours ago, kapam said:

Very nice indeed!

I think I've seen the kit in a few 2nd-hand lots now and again; but never looked in the box.

I think it makes a nice subject as an airliner - quite regal looking.

Is that an unglazed porthole each side of the cockpit, or an optical illusion?

Well done, anyway.

:goodjob::clap:

The thing was not quite as finished as I thought it was while taking the photos. Still needs some Kristal Kleer to finish that bit off. 

Actual, it is an intentional design element to allow dogs to stick their heads out the porthole while the plane is in flight. You know dogs....

18 hours ago, Kevin Callahan said:

Actual, it is an intentional design element to allow dogs to stick their heads out the porthole while the plane is in flight. You know dogs....

Ha Ha! Good explanation! 😁

So who knew that pilots were allowed to have their pets in the cockpit!  LOL😄