Takom Late Panther A Buildlog

Thank you for your kind comments. 

The build of the lower hull interior is complete (i am very pleased to say) and I have documented my progress with the attached pictures.  Once the upper and lower hulls are glued into place you will only really be able to see 30-40 % of the interior but I am not willing to go through the drama of cutting up the upper hull so that the interior is more visible. 

eOnM0BX.jpg?1

BokLkLO.jpg?1

CPz2K3R.jpg?1

This is all you will be able to see !

wDqMu7t.jpg?1

I have modified the drivers vision port with clear plastic

9nEzku5.jpg

Radio done 

C59El14.jpg

J52LUMf.jpg

Thanks for looking

S

• Like 5

Thank you for your comments

The upper hull has been fitted and glued in place, only minimal amounts of filler were thankfully needed.  

UPRyKdr.jpg

saOVitI.jpg

yPXLCLv.jpg

In the next few updates the Panther will be getting dressed with zimmert 

Thanks for looking 

S

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Soeren said:

Hey there , it is looking great. Is this a atak zimmerit for the meng kit?   

It's the Atak zim for the Tacom Kit (ref 35069) It went on rather more quickly when I discovered that you can apply it with tamiya extra thin cement rather than super glue

Lower hull is almost completed 

wsSS50N.jpg

RhpG2f2.jpg

Thanks for looking

S

• Like 5

All dressed up for sure Jack and looks like the belle of the ball. 

That ATAK stuff is the only way to go for zimmerit. I tried a 1/35 Panther A with Elmer's Wood Putty and a Tamiya rake and it turned out

just so so. I used ATAK zimmerit on two 1/16 King Tigers and it's the only way to do zimmerit. So much less work

and do over and more do over and mess and it looks like the real thing. You can even beat it up and break

off chunks to make it look like it's been to the wars.

Does ATAK give you a resin mg blister and resin gun mantlet? They do on the 1/16 King Tigers and even the rear

hatch for the turret. Sure glad they did because that mantlet on the Porsche turret would be a real joy to try

applying home made zimmerit. It must be fun to space all of those pieces to make the tools racks fit or did they

give you large pieces with cutouts for the racks?

Anyway, sure looks good and since it's an "A" it does need the zimmerit.

Take care,

Lloyd

I surely agree for the 1/16 scale atak zimmerit. In 1/35 scale they sure make a fantastic job. But the eduard pe doesn't look to bad either. I tried it on my afv club tiger and it was about 6 pieces on the mantle that conformed quite well.

Interesting to read that the Tamiya cement works for this type of resin Zimmerit. You sure it will last? 

Edited by Soeren

23 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Does ATAK give you a resin mg blister and resin gun mantlet? They do on the 1/16 King Tigers and even the rear hatch for the turret. Sure glad they did because that mantlet on the Porsche turret would be a real joy to try applying home made zimmerit. It must be fun to space all of those pieces to make the tools racks fit or did they give you large pieces with cutouts for the racks?

Atak provide two mantlets and MG blister. The tool racks were challenging to get right and I used the kit plastic ones as templates. The ones I will attach will be made from brass

20 hours ago, Soeren said:

Interesting to read that the Tamiya cement works for this type of resin Zimmerit. You sure it will last? 

It's on their very securely, highly unlikely to fall off 

On 27/04/2019 at 14:09, Soeren said:

Very nice. Is this from am PE kit?

Yes all details are in post 1. 

Ok I have been progressing with the front fenders, while they aren't quite finished I decided to do an update anyway. I am still deciding on whether to add in the extra long fenders and if I should add some damage to the tank. The zimmerit is all rather mint so I may end up with having a well looked after Late Panther A, perhaps  sunning itself in Italy 

Single fender added with supports visible

VnVNLqE.jpg

The fenders in bits

5oOyOaf.jpg

Both on 

oz8z9c1.jpg

Vg0BEt8.jpg

I honestly don't know about the extra long fenders if the tank looks better without them. Let me know your opinions

S

• Like 4

Looking really nice JK.....I like the extended fenders/mudguards. Not something you see very often. I don't see anything wrong with a less than worn Panther in field....I mean they "sometime" get new one's......I imagine it's like when you get a new car......you try and keep it dent free for as long as you can....:smirk:

Like the project a lot......:yes:

S

43 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

impressive build, good pics as well, what do you use for the close-ups?

Thank you for your comment. Images before April 10th taken on Samsung Galaxy S8 plus and later ones with the Galaxy S10 plus. I tried using my Sony Alpha 65 SLT and the images were nowhere near the same quality even in micro mode. 

Samsung have done a good job with the phone 📱

• Thanks 1

@Jack Klugman Looking really nice 👍. Will be a shame to add paint !

24 minutes ago, Jack Klugman said:

Made some more progress, this time installing the side skirts and the support brackets. These really aren't fun to build or install. 

st7f1Vq.jpg

Bylo3Mp.jpg

Thanks for looking

S

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DanReed said:

Missed you on armorama but am glad to see that you are still active.

Dan

Thank you all for your continued comments. I can't remember the reasons why i left armourama, I think it was something to do with them refusing to allow me to become a kit reviewer after doing detailed build logs for 7 years as I "clearly did not have enough build experience" and that was after them asking for people to undertake more kit reviews. Plus it was at the time when photobucket was going through their image ransome stage and my entire legacy and build logs on the site was gone. Seemed like a natural time to quit.   

Anyway, progress has been rather slowed down because I now have to build lots of things in brass and solder them.

PraENwP.jpg

Rr8MSUI.jpg

To make the brackets to fit the tracks to the hull will take me at least a full day to make and fit

Thanks for looking

S

• Like 3