Takom Late Panther A Buildlog

Armorama's loss.....our gain.....love the build.....certainly conforming my intent to have a my 2020 new project a full interior Panther, probably the Bergepanther.

Really enjoyable build blog.......:yes:

• 2 weeks later...

How is it going Jack? Have you taken up your steelworker's err....brass worker's career full time yet?   I can't imagine

trying to solder these tiny 1/35 pieces. The pe in 1/16 scale is tedious enough and if it can't be super glued then it

gets missed. Solder and I are like figure painting and I, just not happening.

Hope you can get started on your Jagdpanther soon. I have a G1 and a G2 in the works and I could use some tips.

Take care,

Lloyd

6 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

How is it going Jack? Have you taken up your steelworker's err....brass worker's career full time yet?   I can't imagine

trying to solder these tiny 1/35 pieces. The pe in 1/16 scale is tedious enough and if it can't be super glued then it

Hope you can get started on your Jagdpanther soon. I have a G1 and a G2 in the works and I could use some tips.

Take care,

Lloyd

Try resistance soldering it is easier!

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235035815-takom-spz-abt-505-tiger-ausf-b/

post #9 and #24

Edited by Bozothenutter

On 24/05/2019 at 03:00, BlackMax12 said:

Take care,

Lloyd

Everything is going well if slowly, the hull is about 98% complete 

2sckg1g.jpg

5brog62.jpg

ZFrG0n2.jpg

The only real additions left are the brass chains, which I might leave off until the turret build is completed. 

Soldering is straightforward enough if you have the right leaded solder and flux. 

I have no idea what I am going to do after the Panther A tbh  

• Like 5

Looking good Jack. You have lots more patience than I for all of that photo etch, especially soldered but it sure doe look the part.

You said you had a 1/16 Jagdtiger didn't you and some Jagdpanthers? One of those would be nice to see, especially with your

skill set any of them should turn out great.

Take care,

Lloyd

Hello,

A photo heavy update I am afraid. After finalising the hull I have started and almost completed the turret

There are a few fitment issues which I have to resolve which prevents the turret from sitting flush with the hull. 

iSgRs3s.jpg

dbXxypz.jpg

fr4fKGn.jpg

Turret Interior with main gun

fBIJOdt.jpg

2bY7Tgl.jpg

Muzzle brake, soldered obviously ! 

jvNrzRi.jpg

Exterior with mantlet

K0bcyBf.jpg

Turret with Gun

c9DEeIg.jpg

Not much PE in this section at all so progress is rapid and its starting to look like a tank now.

Thanks for looking

S

Edited by Jack Klugman
  • Like 6

On 01/06/2019 at 19:00, BlackMax12 said:

Looking good Jack. The zimmerit, metal barrel and all of that dreaded photo etch sure

add to the overall look.

Keep them coming, waiting for that Jagdpanther too.

Lloyd

Thank you for your comment. 

A quick update the build is more or less completed and the turret will now be painted before final assembly 

00E4ObW.jpg

geE9gbN.jpg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

Jack

What is the bracket beside the right storage box, between the exhaust and the box on the rear plate? Never saw that on any Panther model or

maybe just missed it.

Lloyd

Fuel/water stowage, this Panther G has two, that particular installation would have been impossible on mine given the distinctive three exhausts on the final versions of the Ausf A.   

It probably was a field modification ?

3LdJbcx.jpg?1

Edited by Jack Klugman
  • Like 1

Thanks Jack.

You're probably right that must have been a field mod as I have never seen it on a "G" or actually any

model of Panther before. Looks good though but I won't buy a photo etch set just to get it and scratch

building one is beyond me.

Take care,

Lloyd

14 hours ago, Jack Klugman said:

Fuel/water stowage, this Panther G has two, that particular installation would have been impossible on mine given the distinctive three exhausts on the final versions of the Ausf A.   

3LdJbcx.jpg?1

Hello Jack. Been following your build on this Panther. Think it is a craftsman build, very well done. The photo above got me thinking all day. I saw it recently in an article, but could not come up with clues. Now I'm at home and first thing I did was clicking the correct links.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/panther-hard-edge-camo-in-normandie-pz-regt-i-24-u-t13834-s10.html

Maybe you know it, but it sure gives some good insight on this photo, and of other Panthers. 

I'm very intrigued by this particular Panther G shown in your post. Will follow along.

Have a nice day,

Robert Jan

On 6/6/2019 at 8:34 PM, Jack Klugman said:

3LdJbcx.jpg?1

Just wanted to confirm....it was a field modification by the crew....not sure why move it away from the side location fitted at the factory. Maybe protect it somewhat at the rear; as you see these tubes peppered in many photographs, and cleaning the barrel with shattered gun rods could be difficult....I suppose.

Really enjoyable and sharp build blog and certainly on my re-read list when I choose my final full interior Panther one day.......:thumbsup:

Some Panthers and especially Jagdpanthers had the tools re-located to the rear plate also. Note

that this Panther only has 4 spare track links on the side and doesn't look like it has the hangers for the 

normal six. Lots of variations on a theme.

Lloyd

On 09/06/2019 at 19:30, BlackMax12 said:

Some Panthers and especially Jagdpanthers had the tools re-located to the rear plate also. Note

that this Panther only has 4 spare track links on the side and doesn't look like it has the hangers for the 

normal six. Lots of variations on a theme.

Lloyd

I think the tank has the normal track hangers but they were not utilising the first and the last one to stow track for whatever reason.  

Anyway he turret floor is done

U9QSCJj.jpg?1

PZ4z6U7.jpg?3

Thanks for looking

S

Edited by Jack Klugman
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

Sorry I have not posted in a little while but that did not really mean that I stopped the project.

So I sprayed the tank hull red and kind of finished it.

5TKjDn6.jpg

I chose to represent a Panther Ausf. A from the 2. Kompanie/Pz.Rgt.6, part of the Panzer Lehr Division in Normandy, July 1944. She was knocked out by the Americans who took several photos of her:

jPm0T4m.jpg

eTd5fOX.jpg

And here she is:

xmN05qR.jpg

2v4HghV.jpg?1

iHNpqZh.jpg?1

UrR4Zcg.jpg?1

Bk7fyvu.jpg?1

OWLjENL.jpg?1

h45csyQ.jpg?1

VFHlLJV.jpg?1

Panther A alongside an older Dragon Late Panther G