Takom Late Panther A Buildlog

Hello,

Another Panther update. The lower hull is almost completed and I have painted the hull sides but I have to touch up some paint and add in a few minor details. The engine firewall is inplace and I have added a mild enamel wash to make the tank look like its had some service. This tank will have been in combat for only a few months either in Italy, Russia or Normandy (I have not picked out a scheme) so I am not going to go nuts making the interior look too far gone. 

After painting everything is sprayed with Tamiya TS 80 Flat Clear to protect the paint from the enamel thinners (which can damage Acrylic paint)

ebUwcBI.jpg

fMS1F78.jpg

ilUVvFA.jpg

u2Mhn2c.jpg

Thanks for looking

S

Edited by Jack Klugman
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Sorry that it's been a while since the last update. I have almost finished the lower hull, the engine (not pictured) is primed along with some stowage boxes and the ammo containers and ready for final painting. Its my plan to completely finish the lower hull, including all the photo etch before I start the turret. 

ZB2vk2l.jpg

moolpB0.jpg

This is all that will be visible after the upper hull is glued in place. I am going to hopefully install the radio in a way that i can remove the drivers and radio operators hatches on and off.  

D3d8NYf.jpg

Still loads to do

S

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Yetifan said:

Wow, welcome to the forum. Really looking forward to the rest of this build 🙂

Thank you for your kind comment. 

Really boring update, been working on the Panther Tank ammunition and my god was the process very dull, refinish all of the shells to remove slide molding marks, paint them, repaint them because the brass did not go on well the first time, stray them black, respray the brass again, and add the decals before a coat of Tamyia Clear. 

Thinking of building my next Panther empty  🙂

OhM1yz0.jpg

• Like 4

Well you know they occasionally did run out of ammo, but more likely it was gasoline that went dry.  You

could cut the shells apart and just leave the empty brass casings, no need for decals and doesn't matter

if the brass looks a little beat up.

It's looking great though. Hurry up so you can start your Jagdpanther or maybe for a change you

could have both going at the same time.  (just a thought)

Take care,

Lloyd

20 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Hurry up so you can start your Jagdpanther or maybe for a change you

could have both going at the same time.  

I don't really think I could do that, then again I have a uncompleted Tamiya motorized 16th King Tiger as well as a Trumpeter 16th Jagdtiger waiting to be completed.    

Here is the Panther with the ammo installed, next painting and installing the engine. 

jwkeLwN.jpg

• Like 6

Looking good Jack. Aren't there some vertical shell bins to come yet though?  Good news is

you only have to paint the actual shells as the casings can't be seen inside the bins.

I think the 1/16 Jagdtiger should be next, waiting for that one.

Take care,

Lloyd

On 07/04/2019 at 17:25, BlackMax12 said:

Looking good Jack. Aren't there some vertical shell bins to come yet though?  Good news is

you only have to paint the actual shells as the casings can't be seen inside the bins.

I think the 1/16 Jagdtiger should be next, waiting for that one.

Take care,

Lloyd

Yes indeed, the shell bins just need to be finalised and installed. 

I have been working on the engine and its almost there along with the "coral snake" tubing that sits above it in the tank

eIeMFq5.jpg

It's a shame the vast majority will be hidden after installation 

Thanks for looking

S

• Like 3

Jack

That engine looks great, give it some gas and let's hear how it sounds.

Have fun stuffing that engine into place. I'm pretty sure they placed it on the floor of the engine

compartment and built the tank around it. I know it wasn't fun on my 1/16 King Tigers to get the engine

mounted. On the second KT I did just that, mounted the engine and added the side walls after.

On my 1/16 builds of two King Tigers, two Panzer IVs, Russian T-34 and SU-100 I was able to make the upper hull

removable. I couldn't manage that on the 1/16 Jagdtiger though but the roof of the fighting compartment comes off so

some of the interior is visible. I managed  to do it on this 1/16 Panther G I'm working on, which I'll finish some day.

I've tried the same with some 1/35 full interior kits with mixed results. The worst of all was a WW1 Mark V (Takom??)

with full interior as absolutely nothing was visible after it was sealed up. It's like the Academy 1/32 helicopter I spent 

over $500 on resin interior parts and photo etch only to hide it all when both sides of the fuselage were joined.

Full interior kits are nice but are they worth it??  I'm not entirely sure but the attempts I've seen with full interior and

clear hulls and turrets are pretty Mickey Mouse too. I had an AFV Club T-34 with clear upper hull and turret and ended

up adding texture to the absolutely smooth clear parts and then painting them. One of my Trumpeter 1/16 King Tigers

came with optional clear upper hull and turret and those parts got junked right away.

I guess it all boils down to if you are willing to put in the time to complete the interior. There are some insane things 

like the 28 hoses in the 1/16 King Tiger engine compartment and only 8 are ever visible even with the upper hull removable.

It is fun to build the interiors and it is rather educational but it's also pretty tedious, especially when you make an "oops".

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

Your works is very nice, I also build interior kits. I usually remake the hinges of hatches and make them moveable, then glue upper/lower hull together for a perfect exterior looking. 

Edited by wangmm2047
Fix my pic's problem again.

Hello All,

I am sorry for the very slow progress of this build, I just seem to be very demotiotivated to do anything these days.

Anyway the engine is installed, it was not too bad but I agree that I should have installed it when the hull was still open  

GoAAt3M.jpg

The ammo boxes are installed for illustration only and a few other bits that will need to come out for painting. The plan is to finish the entire lower hull over the next 7 days as I am on leave from work. 

Thanks for looking

On 08/04/2019 at 21:43, Redcoat2966 said:

Just wanted to ask......are all the colours from the kit instructions or are you also checking out a specific book on the internals and colour specs wtc.

cheers

Simon

I guess you are talking about the engine. To be honest I have just been looking at other builds online I just thought the the colour scheme looked cool. Is it accurate, i have no idea.

S

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Looks great Jack.  The shell bins complete the look, even without paint, those glaring holes didn't

add anything before. Looks a lot more finished, cramped but complete.

That engine install is a bit of a job alright but it turned out ok. I usually have quite a bit of touching

up scraped paint after I stuff the engine into one of these. As far as color goes I usually use Tamiya German Grey

for the engine, don't know how accurate that is but looks good (to me). Pity that when that huge white air

cleaner gets installed most of the engine disappears.

I agree on the motivation, must be spring fever. I have two 1/35 Jagdpanthers, a Panther G and two 1/16 Panthers

started but can't seem to sit down at them for more than an hour. The great outdoors beckons for yard work

or I even built a new fence in the back yard this week. It appears to be the wrong season for modelling.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

3 hours ago, Jack Klugman said:

Hello All,

I am sorry for the very slow progress of this build, I just seem to be very demotiotivated to do anything these days.

Anyway the engine is installed, it was not too bad but I agree that I should have installed it when the hull was still open  

GoAAt3M.jpg

The ammo boxes are installed for illustration only and a few other bits that will need to come out for painting. The plan is to finish the entire lower hull over the next 7 days as I am on leave from work. 

Thanks for looking

I guess you are talking about the engine. To be honest I have just been looking at other builds online I just thought the the colour scheme looked cool. Is it accurate, i have no idea.

S

Wow that looks amazing.