Takom Late Panther A Buildlog

Hello All,

I have just discovered this forum and decided that I would start a build log of a Tacom Late Panther A with quite a few aftermarket parts.

I have been posting in Armourrama on and off since 2010 but gave up on the forum in 2017 and have not posted anything much since.  Below is a small selection of dozen or so build logs that I started on the forum over the years.   My builds are still there should you choose to look them up.

Most are heavily modified by aftermarket parts.  

Dragon Late Tiger 1 with scratch built interior

ScA35oo.jpg

ETK3fHs.jpg?1

Dragon Grille H

OejEFyu.jpg?1

Dragon Grille H and Panther G

nDlP3sS.jpg?1

Dragon Stug 3

xIOOybv.jpg?1

RFM Sturmtiger – out of the box with aftermarket tracks

808YFsp.jpg?1

Training Panzer 1

0wRQGet.jpg?1

Panzer 1 A

C3RjfoT.jpg

Anyway on with the current build:

Tacom Panther A late

17dtMyE.jpg?1

Friulmodel Panther Tracks

Fr2XsUS.jpg?2

Atak Zimmerit Panther A (Daimler Benz Pattern)

lL604LC.png

Aber 35K02 Super detail Set

7xl29EM.jpg?1

I hope that this build is of interest

Thanks

S

• Like 16

Really nice to see such a detailed work on interiors. Most impressive. Training variant of Panzer I caught my eye especially.

I've desired Takoms Panther myself so I'm going to follow this build with great interest. 
Additional Aber upgrade promises nice detail work on this one.

• Mike changed the title to Takom Late Panther A Buildlog

Thank you for your kind comments. 

The build is progressing well and all out of the box so far. I have to say that Tacom have done a wonderful job with this kit,  its a real treat working on something other than the traditional "U" shaped hull design. 

jf4yT6a.jpg?2

Exceptional engineering 

• Like 5

Looking good so far Jack.

Yes the multi piece lower hulls are nice although I found it a bit tricky to get the

torsion bars, axles and the second hull side all lined up at the same time. 

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

Hello All,

I have been progressing the model and jumped slightly ahead and built the Maybach HL230

W0RLxs0.jpg?1

Ok that's the 1/16th one from my Jagdtiger. Here the kit part

OdpirFj.jpg?1

I have tried not to go nuts over the details on the engine as you won't see much of it when its installed but it does come together well

nFYwnzt.jpg?1

I have also constructed the ZF AK 7-200 transmission/gearbox

EflDnVM.jpg?1

and further progressed the hull. Please note the sidewall is held on with tape. 

NEWv1Qa.jpg?1

Disappointed that it has so many ejector pin marks in areas that will be difficult to get too. That will make clean up a challenge. 

Thanks for looking

S

• Like 12

Forgot to say that these two arrived the other day 

I am getting a bit obsessed by the Panther and its variants, I also have a Dragon Jadgpanther G1 early around somewhere bought cheaply too (I did not realise it needed that "square" zimmerit so it remains unbuilt). I will be like Soeren soon 🙂

FR8weUF.png

9IRoeiH.png

Its highly unlikely that I will be using the clear parts with the Panther D model, it's a shame because you need to leave so much detail off the exterior to fit them. RFM got it perfect with their sturmtiger. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Beautiful job on the 1/16 engine. Now that you have teased us....where is the 1/16 Jagdtiger????

Pictures please, I'm sort of a 1/16 fan

Lloyd

Lol here you go:

The Jagdtiger has been in a rather large box for the last few years although I can't really remember why I stopped the build process now as its 90 % built. Maybe after the Panther A I will complete it. 

I started the build after I left Armourrama so no build log unfortunately 

KrOxeu4.jpg

l1ANbkP.jpg

g0sSBnH.jpg

5qop6UR.jpg

OtzIEF0.jpg

uRa0wsb.jpg

kTT4Kdb.jpg?1

0QDlNkR.jpg

orPKzyU.jpg

ZZY5BF4.jpg

3mWve0x.jpg

I am on leave for the rest of the week so hopefully I can make lots of progress on the Panther

Thanks for looking

S

• Like 9

WOW!

That Jagdtiger looks great. I see quite a bit of scratching and especially like the driver's seat. 

I have built 2 of them OOB, well started 2 and completed one that is and I love the look

of the 1/16 Jagdtiger. I know it wasn't a very practical AFV in real life but there's something about them

that I find appealing, maybe the brute power look, a real beast.

Yours is looking really good and maybe you should start a separate thread to show it off and too bad

there is no build log but you can start one from here, hint hint.

Hurry up with the Panther so you can get back to the big stuff.

Thanks for posting all the pics.

Take care,

Lloyd 

Edited by BlackMax12

Thank you for all the kind comments on the Jagdtiger, I will probably review the project after this Panther build and complete it. Unfortunately 1/16th scale is not really for me, it's just too hard to display when you don't have that much storage space, which is why I have no plans to buy the excellent Trumpeter Panther G even though its my favorite tank probably of all time. 

On with the Tacom Panther A, I have been building up the hull and attaching all the details ahead of painting. I plan to 1) spray the entire interior Tamiya hull red fine surface primer and 2) the required areas German cream white. Airbrushing over the hull red I find gives a more consistent colour, however it's crucial that they are all painted at the same time in my experience to ensure a perfect colour match as I don't tend to spray thick layers of paint. 

The fit of the hull will be critical to this project being a success as it looks like it might be a real pig if you misalign even a single element. The modularity of the hull which makes super detailing easier is also the main flaw of this model's design and while I was putting it together for this build log I was wondering how many of these tanks have taken the 70mph challenge after being thrown at a wall by an annoyed builder.  

3qagriR.jpg

10Fa2LN.jpg

HtUdWWm.jpg

Thought I would drop in a few more images of other historic projects I have completed, I also really like the Panzer 1 

Painted Training Panzer 1 – No tracks yet !

6NouAkl.jpg

Unpainted Flak Panzer 1 – Heavily modified Dragon Kit

ION1tXu.jpg

wGBQkkY.jpg

Thanks for looking,

S

• Like 10

Hello,

A very quick update, the hull is largely completed apart from a few bits of scratch building I am about to undertake it will soon be ready for priming and painting. 

3D21P4I.jpg

I have completed the main gun ammo stowage 

rX6ikC7.jpg

And placed zimmerit on the rear hull

2Vp3tLA.jpg

Thanks for looking

S

• Like 7

Hello all,

A quick update on the Panther, the hull is primed Tamiya hull red and the transmission and various other bits have been added. It's all rather factory mint condition at the moment, that will change

q4dUlc8.jpg

Thanks 

S

Edited by Jack Klugman
  • Like 6

Holy heck, what am I looking at in here. Your jagdtiger is amazing... Wow! Wow wow wow. 

AND WOW SOME MORE! These models you have worked on are beautiful 

For your weld seams, did you use styrene strips? Sorry, a very new model maker here. 

1 hour ago, KonigsStreegan said:

Holy heck, what am I looking at in here. Your jagdtiger is amazing... Wow! Wow wow wow. 

AND WOW SOME MORE! These models you have worked on are beautiful 

For your weld seams, did you use styrene strips? Sorry, a very new model maker here. 

Thank you for your kind comment. I used Milliput to make the weld seams, the jagdtiger had some very prominent weld seams and since the front of the superstructure was a few mm out it was a useful edition.  

1 hour ago, Jack Klugman said:

Thank you for your kind comment. I used Milliput to make the weld seams, the jagdtiger had some very prominent weld seams and since the front of the superstructure was a few mm out it was a useful edition.  

Superb results. Thank you so much for passing on the knowledge. These details are oh so satisfying to see.