Duke of Edinburgh ship ?

AlCZ

The Duke of Edinburgh was captain of HMS Magpie from 1950 to 1952.

HMS Magpie was a modified Black Swan sloop.

White Ensign Models used to produce kits of Black Swan sloops in 1/700th and 1/350 scale.

Atlantic Models still have a Black Swan sloop, HMS Stirling, in their range: see http://atlanticmodels.net/index.html

Also have a look at:   https://starling-models.co.uk/en/49-royal-navy-1919-1945?p=3

Whelp was a War Emergency class destroyer and so the ex-WEM kits of Venus or Scorpion would suffice.  I suspect Wallace to be similar in appearance to the Tamiya Vampire but you would also need to convert it to Wair standard, as an anti-aircraft ship.  A significant job.

The modified Black Swans are quite a bit different from the Black Swan class, despite the class name sounding like a Black Swan with an extra gun or something equally minor. They are different lengths (by around 30ft IIRC) for starters. If hoping for a Chinese injection moulded kit then it's unlikely that embarking on a relatively pricey resin kit to saw in half is really where this will end up going.

References I have seen indicate that the Black Swan class and the modified Black Swan class both had overall lengths of 299'6" - so I fear Jamie may have mis-remembered something, or have different references to me.  The differences were in the armament, but as the war went on, this varied dramatically, even amongst the survivors of the four ships of the original class.  Tripod masts were replaced by lattice masts, and electronics fit varied.  However, with reasonable references, converting a kit of one modified Black Swan to another (eg STARLING to MAGPIE) is possible.

He also served as a midshipman on Ramillies, Valianr, Kent and Shropshire, so with Warspites around and County class cruisers coming from Flyhawk and Aosima, conversions should be possible.  An R class battleship would be pretty unlikely, but I do have a resin Royal Oak which I could part with.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 12:16 PM, Graham Boak said:

He also served as a midshipman on Ramillies, Valianr, Kent and Shropshire, so with Warspites around and County class cruisers coming from Flyhawk and Aosima, conversions should be possible.  An R class battleship would be pretty unlikely, but I do have a resin Royal Oak which I could part with.

I have the same list of ships that he served on as well, and as I have a thing about collections I am making as many as I can in 1/350.  I have Whelp from Atlantic Models converted from Venus already in work, I have Magpie from WEM (Starling) almost finished, I have two Trumpeter QEs, one will be Valiant, and have Cornwall on pre-order from Trumpeter to make as Kent, though I could wait for Kent.  The hard one is Wallace, so to make it I have two Showcase Vendetta kits to combine into one.  This conversion means making the extra length of the Thornycroft type leader as well as the WAIR AA conversion.  Et Voila, I have my five, though would love to add Ramilies and Shropshire as well, especially as that is my birthplace.   I suppose a passable Shropshire could be made from Cornwall, but a lot of effort. 

Also, don't forget he stoked boilers on RMS Empress of Russia. 

• Like 1

I look for relative cheap plastic kit, ships are beautiful, but expensive and hard to built(many p.e. wooden decks etc..), when you can a good looking kit... A few years ago i can built a whole  WW 2 Japanese fleet, (Japanese ships are beautiful)but when i saw a price tag i forgot it on 1 minute...

• Like 1