The Brummagen IPMS Beer Mat Challenge – RS Models 1/72 Avro Rota C.30

• 6 months later...

Erm It’s been a long time but I am back after a long summer recess. Welcome back all and hope you had (for those who attended) a great time at Telford.  Me and fellow members of the Brum IPMs certainly had a good un and it was great to meet up with fellow Britmodellers, and in particular the American contingent: Procopious, Navy Bird and Cookenbacher - upstanding gentlemen they all are too.

Anyroad nothing like a spot of Telford to get the mojo juices flowing so it’s back to the bench and time to fire up the thread again. Last time I mentioned that I’d remade the levers as my earlier attempts were a little crude and over scale. Well here they are:

IMG-4974.jpg

Next I glued the bulkheads in place and added some wiring. Because there are no location pins I added a few strips of plastic. I also drilled out location holes for the under carriage and overhead rotor pylon.

IMG_5717.jpg

Then at long last it was time for some paint. First the interior got a coat of HU100 red brown which is an approximation of the interior colour of the doped fabric (according to some sources). This may amount to some artistic license as some were probably painted all in cockpit green. Nevertheless I feel it adds a little colour and depth.

IMG_5738.jpg

I then embarked upon a rather tedious and time-consuming exercise of masking the ribs which proved akin to masking a WWII greenhouse canopy.

IMG_5743.jpg

The ribs aren’t particularly well defined or moulded so It's not possible to get the sharpest of finishes. Arguably it would have been less hassle just to use a hairy stick. Still it helps being slightly mad to embark on such an undertaking.

IMG_5747.jpg

I will be adding a coat of Klear and then a wash so given its diminutive size and lack of visibility when closed it should look quite passable. That said I feel it adds more interest than just overall green.

Here are the other bits and paints used:

IMG_5752.jpg

I did have one casualty and that was a piece of the foot rest pinged off into oblivion midway through spraying. I have yet to find it and doubt I ever will, but I lack the inclination to make a new one just yet.

Next will be coat of klear, wash and a matt varnish; finish off the IPs and painting minor details, belts then sticking stuff in place.

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Me and fellow members of the Brum IPMs certainly had a good un and it was great to meet up with fellow Britmodellers, and in particular the American contingent: Procopious, Navy Bird and Cookenbacher - upstanding gentlemen they all are too.

Fooled 'em again!

27 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

I then embarked upon a rather tedious and time-consuming exercise of masking the ribs which proved akin to masking a WWII greenhouse canopy.

I did this once with a Wellington and about lost my mind. Respect.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cor; fine reward for all that tedious masking Tom.

Another top notch multi-media interior.

4 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

it should look quite passable

Passable?  Passable?  I s’pose the Fury was ‘passable’ too eh? :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just caught up on this Tomo (not sure how I missed it) and following now…

Great stuff it is, lovely i/ps and controls… can't wait for the next episode :) 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 10:19 AM, AdrianMF said:

Nice to see this back on the bench. A bit of dark wash would really make the stringers pop out visually?

Regards,

Adrian

As per Adrian’s advice I applied a wash and gave it a coat of Alclad matt varnish. It perhaps looks a tad grubbier than I would prefer, but given the moulding quality and the fact that much of it will be hidden, yet glimpsed I’m okay with it. It certainly gives it more definition.

IMG_5762.jpg

The forward bulkhead received the same treatment.

IMG_5763.jpg

Here is a better view of the cockpit floor after having a dry wash and some black gloss and blobs of klear in the compass.

IMG_5766.jpg

gave the IPs a dry brush then picked out a few details. I glued small pieces of clear acetate to the backs of the IPs and applied a coat of black. The macro close-up is pretty unforgiving and they look a bit grubby. Okay they’re not Eduard jobs but they do look better than the close-up suggests – but I would say that wouldn’t I 😉 Anyroad better than the original kit offerings.

IMG_5775.jpg

Finally I can start assembling the pit and get the fuselage joined up. More next time.

• Like 9

Splendid to see the Rota back in circulation Tomo and my goodness but  that colourful interior looks like nothing less than a piece of Soviet constructivist art. Looking forward to seeing this progress: the signs are on it being a good 'un. 👏

• Like 1

OK, I'm gonna ask…

2 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

I glued small pieces of clear acetate to the backs of the IPs and applied a coat of black.

Why clear acetate if you're gonna paint in black? 'tis a mystery…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CedB said:

OK, I'm gonna ask…

They usually have little white bits on them to represent the markings on the dials, though that doesn't seem to be the case here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

OK, I'm gonna ask…

Ced. The painted side was on the rear facing side not the side we see so as to give a semblance of a lens in front of the dial when the light catches it at a certain angle. Well it seemed like a good idea at the time...

• Like 1

Ah, thanks Tomo :) 

I thought you were going to try to scratch some detail onto the tiny, tiny dials. Been there… that way madness lies :mental:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

I was tempted Ced, in the words of Nietzsche “I gazed into the abyss”, but sanity prevailed... just..

I tried to think if I could scratch some detail onto 1/72 dials when I built a chipmunk several years back - but had an outbreak of sanity and didn’t.  Didn’t think it was possible to get anything fine enough or neat enough..  Inkjet printing onto photopaper or decal sheet wasn’t up to it either as I recall.

I think them-there neat shiny black dials will look more than good enough.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome back all and a belated Happy Christmas. I finally got back at the bench and glued all the internal bits ‘n’ bobs in place:

IMG_5801.jpg

Next I added the vertical hanging belts as they are shown in this picture (thanks and copyright to hochmuth):

Cockpit2.jpg

However, while they are visible in the shots below, once the fuselage is closed up they are nay on invisible.

IMG_5850.jpg

This was a tad annoying so I took some artistic licence and added extra belts to the seats (care of take-away tin foil) which look much better as seen in the three shots below.

IMG_5881.jpg

It was quite a faff to get everything lined up and fit the IP panels in place. The kit originals barely fit so it’s hardly a surprise, having used them as templates that my versions were tricky to fit too.

IMG_5886.jpg

Anyroad I got there in the end.

IMG_5892.jpg

Sorry for the repetition and somewhat blurry focus. I now the foot pedals are far too close to the fore seat, but it’s for someone with short legs…:winkgrin:

Roight up then, now that stage of the faff is complete, I can get her zipped up and move onto other stuff. The empennage should be reasonably straightforward, so that’ll be my next task.

• Like 10