1/72 Eduard L-39C - Now Uzbek air force!

Modelraynz

Hey folks!

I recently had a go at building an Eduard L-39. Thought it would be a tamigawa shake-n-bake, but was not so!😣 ....

SO.... having to start over; I thought id sign up here - hopefully incorporating all the lessons i learnt first time round! 😎

My subject will be an afghan air force L-39 from the early/mid 2000's:

201947_196437390487329_1760120606_o-X2.j

Ill be using the second kit from the 'third world combo' plus decals from Linden Hills excellent decal sheet, have also done a quick and dirty paint match from the previous attempt using an old damaged decal:

Start-XL.jpg

Edited by Modelraynz
new subject
  • Like 5

Have a version of this kit lurking deep in the stash so will be watching your progress with particular interest and stealing tips whenever possible :) 

• Like 1

hiya!

Small update: I found the cockpit a bit fiddly to get aligned properly the first time, so I cut out the small locating tabs and put some more robust ones in their place. I also need to add them for the front-seat rear bulkhead:

IMG_0112-X2.jpg

for the rear bulkhead i added two lots to help align properly:

IMG_0113-X2.jpg

I also raided the plastic instrument panels for my first aborted attempt: so i fashioned some new ones from the included PE, stripped and placed on plastic card ( i am quite useless with PE!, it always seems to stick up at the edges! so i bulk up and sand the edges to avoid the 'metal on plastic' look! )

IMG_0119-XL.jpg

Edited by Modelraynz
links
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, Col. said:

Interesting start. Are the fit of the cockpit and wheel bay parts too vague as kitted?

Not really, but it is possible to slightly misalign everything; adding up to a wonkey interior and making the  closing of the fuselauge in a tidy manner difficult!

On my first attempt the problems i noticed were:

- rear bulkead width is a tad short and fiddley  to align across all axis.  The newguide strips on each side ensures the piece is glued straight on at correct angles, not slabtibg off to a side.

-  the slant of the rear tub does not match to the rear bulkhead; is a gap (so cant buld the tub assembly as one piece a la airfix hawk and merge together). Ensuring the tubs sit on the guide pins but beneath the side insulation diddnt go well the first time and one side of the tubs was slightly higher!!!

- similar for the front tub,  rear bulkhead; its slightly under-width so can catch on the side insulation if not set at a correct angle and throw everything  off!

Hopefully  that makes sence! Im probably overcorrecting it - ill try and take photos tonight to demonstrate! 

• Thanks 1

very pithy update today, but been a busy work week, just filling out the front-rear bulkhead so there's no gaps!

IMG_0128-X2.jpg

IMG_0126-XL.jpg

Since Im hoping to do a K-8 in a similar scheme; ive decided to do an uzbek example for a bit more variety!

uz4-X2.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

hiya,

Funny you should ask - Was just about to post an update! 😄

a friend donated a spare cockpit and IP's, so set about finalizing the pit:

IMG_0143-X2.jpg

IMG_0135-XL.jpg

added some throttles and sidewall coaming as the insulation on the sidewall should be more recessed:

2-X2.jpg

on reflection the only parts I really needed to modify were;

- the aids to help the midsection and rear bulkheads be properly aligned and the tabs to help with fuselage fit (worth it).

the side console 'shelf's' in the end diddnt really work out, and ended up cutting them down anyway to fit everything in!

IMG_0159-XL.jpg

IMG_0151-XL.jpg

IMG_0152-XL.jpg

the bulkheads were a bit excessively weathered with a panel wash - i make mine from tamiya smoke/acrylic thinner, though really searching for a good general purpose 

cockpit wash that ads depth but dossn't look too dirty!!

just have the burner can to go, add some weights then close up the fuselage! 🙂

Edited by Modelraynz
  • Like 4