Elco 80 Motor Torpedo Boat

Derek A

The guns really look nice, especially the Bofors (some nice detail here). If I were you I would forget about the woodgrain. I doubt if any grain would have been visible on the plywood used. Two stills from "PT-305: The ride of a lifetime" , plywood is being applied to the hull of a Higgins PT boat :

jKoQiuy.png

CovIt38.png

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 2

I don't know how you get along with PE and superglue, but with me it's guaranteed to fill the swear box.  I can never seem to get it wright, with thin superglue I either apply too much which then seems to take for ever to take hold or too little which sticks solid at first touch!  I've tried the thick super glue too with much the same results.  This, of course, assumes the part isn't already stuck to me or the tweezers, or that the superglue hasn't dried in the time it takes to pick the part up!  It's now got to the state where I'm sure I have superglueitus and as soon as I go anywhere near it I start to shake and break out in a cold sweat!  Something had to change.

A fellow modeler asked on Fb whether anyone had tried Jewelry Glue and by some strange coincidence I had also thought about giving it a try and had already ordered some.  It duly arrived and I have been testing it on this Elco 80 project, all the PE in the gun pics was applied using it.  So how did I get on.

B-6000 is labelled as a Multi-purpose glue and comes in a small tube much like thin superglue, it also came with a syringe type applicator.  I thought great that will work the first time but God knows how I'll unblock it later!  I need not have worried, just pull the dried glue off the end and away you go again!.  The glue is perfectly clear and has a consistency like a contact adhesive, that is to say thick and sticky!  It can be applied in small amounts and does have a tendency to string but any stringing is easily removed.  It has excellent 'grab' properties holding parts in place with ease, I've even dropped an assembly after placing a part and it didn't budge!  You now have a couple of minutes to push and prod and slide it around, when you happy just leave it.  I made a mistake and placed the left hand part on the right and didn't realise it until I came to apply the other part some 10 minutes later.  Panic set in but again no problem, I was able to pull the part off, wipe of the glue and replace it in the correct place.

So, there you have it, I'm actually enjoying using and placing PE into this project and the swear box is empty!  Below is the 50 Cal turret from the Elco 80 complete with PE and the glue that has restored my sanity.

33434343488_41eaf5cd48_h.jpg

All of the above is a personal opinion, but would I recommend it?  Yes, I would it's worked for me but you may hate it.  If there's one thing I've learnt from the various Blogs and Fb Posts on modelling, one man's meat is another's poison, but if you have superglueitus it may be the answer to your prayers!

Edited by Derek A
  • Like 4

On 3/5/2019 at 2:40 PM, Arjan said:

The guns really look nice, especially the Bofors (some nice detail here). If I were you I would forget about the woodgrain. I doubt if any grain would have been visible on the plywood used. Two stills from "PT-305: The ride of a lifetime" , plywood is being applied to the hull of a Higgins PT boat :

Regards

Arjan

Great pictures, thank you!  I haven't quite given up on my plans to show a little wood grain in badly worn areas but it's no longer the priority!

On 3/5/2019 at 11:49 AM, s.e.charles said:

interesting "follow-along" for me.

Q: which company manufactured the wood grain etch stencil?

thanks

They are RB Productions stencils http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_117&products_id=369.  They are quite good but difficult if not impossible in a confined space!

• Like 1

One other thing on the use of Jewelry Glue, if you think something needs to be held with superglue for, say, strength, then a couple of small dots of jewelry glue to hold and position  and then apply the superglue.  Much easier!

• Like 1

The B-6000 glue sounds interesting, I will give it a try (I noticed that our Chinese friends also stock it 😉). I suspect it's similar to Gator's acrylic glue which I often use as an alternative for super glue (only for parts with a sizeable contact area). Even when this glue has set parts can still be lifted off fairly easily after having soaked in water for an hour or so.

Regarding the Elco plywood deck, many deck fittings had a large sheet metal base plate for reinforcement.  Italeri haven't reproduced most of these plates which I consider the most annoying shortcoming of the PT 596 kit. The base plates on the foredeck and around the hatches are really hard to miss once you focus on them :

f0qTK3v.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arjan said:

The B-6000 glue sounds interesting, I will give it a try (I noticed that our Chinese friends also stock it 😉). I suspect it's similar to Gator's acrylic glue which I often use as an alternative for super glue (only for parts with a sizeable contact area). Even when this glue has set parts can still be lifted off fairly easily after having soaked in water for an hour or so.

Regarding the Elco plywood deck, many deck fittings had a large sheet metal base plate for reinforcement.  Italeri haven't reproduced most of these plates which I consider the most annoying shortcoming of the PT 596 kit. The base plates on the foredeck and around the hatches are really hard to miss once you focus on them :

f0qTK3v.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

I wouldn't dream of suggesting that the jewelry glue is the b all and end all, you won't win a war with only one weapon, but it is certainly a useful tool in the box for PE or where you don't want the glue to 'flow', ie on moving parts. 

As for the missing detail of deck plates, I'm not even tempted to try and fix that one.  I don't have the time or inclination to do the necessary research, at 65 life is too short!  Interesting though, and when you think about it, quite logical.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, beefy66 said:

You might have to get a bigger bulb 💡 Derek 

Shine the light as they say :idea:

beefy 

Saw it in a pound shop and couldn't resist!

• Like 1