Italeri Grumman TBM-1C Avenger

Hi everyone,

This is my first completion of 2019, it's the Italeri's boxing of the Academy kit. Stunning moulding, full of interior detail and some

excellent panel line and rivet detail on the external surfaces. On the down side the instructions were terrible, very vague requiring 

a certain amount of guesswork. Also the decals were unusable, they were very thick and did not conform so I replaced these with 

a Tecmod set.

For this build I gave MRP acrylic paints a go and was pleasantly surprised, they sprayed excellently with a lovely smooth satin

finish... I think these will be my paints of choice from now on.

Any C&C welcome.

DSC_9518

DSC_9517

DSC_9519

DSC_9520

DSC_9521DSC_9522

DSC_9525

Thanks for looking, gazza 

• Like 62
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much people, very kind words.

4 hours ago, Toryu said:

This looks very nice. Great attention to detail and a convincing finish! Two questions: Which scale is it and did you paint it with hand brush?

Thanks Toryu, it is 1/48th scale and it was airbrushed.

• Thanks 1

Gosh that is good.  Am I right in thinking this was originally an Accurate Miniatures kit?  I have one in the stash and if it turns out half as good as yours I'll be amazed (and fairly pleased).

Splendid job.

Mark

Edited by MarkH206
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MarkH206 said:

Gosh that is good.  Am I right in thinking this was originally an Accurate Miniatures kit?  I have one in the stash and if it turns out half as good as yours I'll be amazed (and fairly pleased).

Splendid job.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Yes it was a Accurate Miniature mould, there is a manufacturer's stamp moulded inside the fuselage, or was it the wing, and dated 1995 if I remember correctly.

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A really impressive job on that. How did you find the Techmid decals, they appear to have conformed very nicely?

Steve.

Cheers Steve.

The Techmod decals were difficult to use, they seemed very brittle and took a lot of repeated soakings of Micro-set to get them to conform. In fact quite a few split and I had

to touch them up with a brush. I gave up with most of the stencil data as they silvered so badly, despite going onto a nice glossy surface. All in all a bit of decal nightmare with this build!

Cheers everyone, gazza l

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, stevehnz said:

What I didn't want to here, hopefully the ones I have will be OK with some MS decal film, warm water & bedding in Klear. :unsure:

Steve.

Sorry to disappoint! The decal I had real problems with was the port fuselage stars and bar, this not only sits on a compound curve but also a protruding air scoop. 

Well, good luck Steve. 😉

• Sad 1

Superb work. I've used MRP paints once and they were superb, pity they're solvent based, a bit more involved for clean-up and the smell reminded me of the old enamels!

Used Techmod decals twice, never again, same problems as you, my sympathies!

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Thanks 1