Blackburn Buccaneer Ejection Seat

JohnT

As I have pushed my way onto the Buccanneer GB I thought to make a start try to find out what I have let myself in for and do some research. I knew the ejection seat had to be a Martin Baker product and have found out that not only is it a Mark 6 but a Mark 6 BSB 2.  I have also seen mention of an MSB 2 as well?

I found photos of said seat seat (BSB 2) but am wondering about any possible differences that may be obvious between the seat as fitted to a Royal Navy S2 and an RAF S2. 

I think the navy navy seat could still work under water following a failed catapult launch but was that deleted in due course in RAF service and would any mods be something to worry about when doing the model?

I can get a resin seat which says it’s a Mk 6 but the description ends there. 

I wondered if anyone on here had worked on them or if anyone could throw more light on this

All help much appreciated as always

The seats definitely evolved during the 1960s to early 1970s, due to changes in hood jettison, then MDC and canopy breakers on the head box. I seem to recall that they started out with Mk4s and went through 6s.

However, is there any visible difference to seats fitted to an RAF or RN jet of the same service time, I don't know.

There used to be some brilliant info on this on Buccaneers.co.uk but that site seems to have gone now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

The seats definitely evolved during the 1960s to early 1970s, due to changes in hood jettison, then MDC and canopy breakers on the head box. I seem to recall that they started out with Mk4s and went through 6s.

However, is there any visible difference to seats fitted to an RAF or RN jet of the same service time, I don't know.

There used to be some brilliant info on this on Buccaneers.co.uk but that site seems to have gone now.

24 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

The Royal navy seat would have additional pipework on the sides for the underwater ejection system.

Selwyn

Thanks Chally - I figured something like that.  I tried to get that site you mentioned but as you say it seemingly gone now more is the pity.

There is a good look into the pit of an RN one on one of the walkarounds in here.  I was surprised that instead of the "all black" seat I expected the seat in the RN aircraft at least was mostly light gray colours.  

Selwyn - many thanks for that too.  I was thinking of doing an RN machine and also an RAF one.  The answer might be that if I ever get them finished not to put them side by side for comparison !

I have some books on the Bucc and an Aeroguide but they are in storage while we move and build a new place so can't access them at present.  At least the GB isn't till 2020 and the planners cant take that long can they ?:shrug:  Even when I get them I doubt they will have that level of detail.

Thanks guys

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

There is a good look into the pit of an RN one on one of the walkarounds in here.  I was surprised that instead of the "all black" seat I expected the seat in the RN aircraft at least was mostly light gray colours. 

Don't forget most surviving ex Navy S.2s saw lengthy service with the RAF so the seats are likely their version, even the one in the Fleet Air Arm Museum is well and truly RAFised.

S.1s would have had the earlier seats. I have APs somewhere but I don't think they say much about the seats.

The nice FAA Bucc at Ellington was an early test aircraft, wonder if that has the Navy seats.

This prompts a question, give that some of the Navy jets were pressed quickly into RAF service (216 Sqn for example), I wonder if they retained the Navy seats for a period?

• Like 1