Yet another Alclad question

rkp111

Hi, planning on building a

P-51 using Alclad polished aluminum. Can I get by without clear coating it for the decals, I have seen clear coat over the polished aluminum takes away from the reflectivity of the finish

Thanks

As a rule I will always use clear kote but I can understand you not wanting to use it, after all the paint finish will be smooth anyway, but it does give protection to what is a very delicate paint and if you need to get the decal to conform to any detail or airframe shape then a setting solution may be needed in which case it may well damage the underlying Alclad if not protected with a coat of varnish.

As you also mention it will probably diminish the high sheen you are trying to achieve.

Do a test run on an old kit if in doubt.

Here's what Alclad's own instructions have to say:

"REGULAR ALCLAD can be masked over and painted. Decal solutions can be used with REGULAR ALCLAD, but are not recommended for HIGH SHINE ALCLAD"

I wouldn't call it "delicate" if it can be masked over and painted. If you are going to clear coat it prior to decaling, I'd suggest using Alclad's own ALC-600 Aqua Gloss.

Thank you for your input, do you think there's a better alternative to Alclad I have only been building WW 1 planes for the last couple of years, many years since my last p-51

I've not used the polished aluminum, but the chrome is extremely fragile--touching it will damage it. I do use MSI Micro Set and Micro Sol on other Alclad paints.

In any event, a clear coat isn't needed if you already have a gloss or smooth finish. I use Mr Color paints, and they go on so smoothly that I'm not in the habit of clear coating them before decals. I do clear-coat after decals to protect the decals from handling. Here's a recent build done exactly that way.

dnl42 makes a good point. The rationale for a clear coat prior to decal application is to create a smooth surface on matt paints. If the surface is already smooth, you don't need a clear coat.

As to an alternative to Alclad the only one I know of is to use Testor's Model Master Metalizers. As I see you live in the US, you should be able to find them easily — on-line if there is no hobby shop near you.

3 minutes ago, Pin said:

AK interactive extreme metal.

The only real alternative to Alclad, and I tried many

Ah. I forgot that one. And I think Vallejo has a line of metallic paints as well.