Supermarine Type 224 "Spitfire" - 1/48, Heritage Aviation Models Ltd

Absolutely stunning Andrew. A beautiful finish and presentation. There is just one tiny thing which would make it absolutely perfect - that antenna wire looks slightly loose and overscale. I would replace it with EZ line or similar.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 11:19 AM, gingerbob said:

There's no better way to put it!  (I, too, have one in the stash- as a Spitfire boffin, I'm morally obligated.)

If you'll forgive a little "constructive feedback", while I think you did a superb job on the "dirtying" under the center section, I wonder about it being spread so broadly across that area?  I guess what I mean is, does it fit the "logic" of where the dirt/grime would come from?  I notice that you don't have any particular dirt streaks thrown up by the tires (sorry, tyres).  Please understand that this isn't meant to sound harshly negative, just something my eye picked up on and I think worthy of contemplation.

I noticed the tyres right off (in a good way!)- they look like rubber things that have actually rolled across some dirt/grass/paved ground, Even on a spit-shined (pun, if not intended, gladly accepted) company pride-and-joy, it would be hard to avoid them looking like they've actually rolled.

Nice little bit of "life", too, to have the spinner cap off.

Does it make me want to grab my kit and set-to?  Nope, still chicken!

I am sorry for a very late answer, but I forgot about it honestly...
Thank you for your constructvie feedback, I appreciate it a lot! About that motor oil under the center section - I used a photo as a reference. It's not 100% accurate, but I added some author's touch. And secondly the tyres (I apologise for that ;)) - you are right, I forgot to do any dirt streaks, I made just the dust effect od the tyres themselves. It's a good point and suggestion for improvement :)
I'm glad you like the life in it.

That's an absolutely stunning rendition of this peculiar looking aircraft.  All those years of effort have certainly paid off.  The paint finish is absolutely convincing.

It seems incongruous that such a design could come from the man who penned the S.6B and the Spitfire.  Did the cooling through evaporation system ever work, I wonder?  The mechanic looks like he is having similar thoughts.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot!
It worked in the S.6b pretty well, but the application on this Type 224 wasn't much effective. It had problems with breaking the pipes with steam in high altitudes and many small illneses was connected to that too. But they had no other engine option in that time.

You are right with the mechanic though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...