Fairchild Canada Super 71, Modified Execuform vacuform 1/72

31 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Could this be why models are never in the same sentence as art? as in paintings, sculptures etc? Something I've wondered.

That doesn't diminishes model-making and its products in the least.

Model-making is a very complex, elaborate, skill-demanding, historically-significant refined craft.

Many things are not art, but not for that reason are they less of what they otherwise are.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Moa said:

That doesn't diminishes model-making and its products in the least.

Model-making is a very complex, elaborate, skill-demanding, historically-significant refined craft.

Many things are not art, but not for that reason are they less of what they otherwise are.

Kinda what I thought. I guess I've always wondered why at model displays, (in my experience) I've never seen art people show an interest. Maybe they do, just don't say anything perhaps. Whatever it is, just thought the two groups could or should work together, maybe some do already. Could be the same as why some restore buses instead of cars to. Similar yet different.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Kinda what I thought. I guess I've always wondered why at model displays, (in my experience) I've never seen art people show an interest. Maybe they do, just don't say anything perhaps. Whatever it is, just thought the two groups could or should work together, maybe some do already. Could be the same as why some restore buses instead of cars to. Similar yet different.

It's a case of Whatever Makes Your Bum Hum.

Chris

• Haha 3

What a magnificent beast! I can only imagine trying to see past that long nose on landings and take-offs- big brass ones on those bush pilots. An incredible build and very realistic finish. I agree with Jonners' comments regarding the cowling; that must have taken a while. One question, Moa- are the skis laminated wood? The design kinda looks like a Boeing 40B on steroids. Well done! Almost has an art deco look about it, with all that silver dope and polished metal. 

Mike

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

What a magnificent beast! I can only imagine trying to see past that long nose on landings and take-offs- big brass ones on those bush pilots. An incredible build and very realistic finish. I agree with Jonners' comments regarding the cowling; that must have taken a while. One question, Moa- are the skis laminated wood? The design kinda looks like a Boeing 40B on steroids. Well done! Almost has an art deco look about it, with all that silver dope and polished metal. 

Mike

I agree with your observations, it does have a smidgen of art deco in it.

You will see the styrene skis in the third photo of the building process (5th photo from the very beginning I think) at the head of this post.

Cheers

11 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Could this be why models are never in the same sentence as art? as in paintings, sculptures etc? Something I've wondered.

Many years ago as a child. I was at an art and crafts exhibition. Mostly kids stuff the usual dodgy papier mache creations and various none to well made  but colourful craft objects sitting on some tables. A disappointing bunch I thought. Amongst them all were several very nicely made models that stood out in terms of how well they were built and painted. An Airfix Boy Scout, I recall was one. 

A man and woman arrived. She commented on how well made the models were. He dismissed her comments with an airy wave of his hand saying they were just kits, easy to make and paint. In effect they were not art. 

I thought he was harsh and didn't believe it was as easy as he thought based on my own hamfisted efforts. But I suppose he was right that it wasn't art. 

Edited by noelh

40 minutes ago, noelh said:

Many years ago as a child. I was at an art and crafts exhibition. Mostly kids stuff the usual dodgy paper mache creations and various none to well made  but colourful craft objects sitting on some tables. A disappointing bunch I thought. Amongst them all were several very nicely made models that stood out in terms of how well they were built and painted. An Airfix Boy Scout, I recall was one. 

A man and woman arrived. She commented on how well made the models were. He dismissed her comments with an airy wave of his hand saying they were just kits, easy to make and paint. In effect they were not art. 

I thought he was harsh and didn't believe it was as easy as he thought based on my own hamfisted efforts. But I suppose he was right that it wasn't art. 

Guess it comes down to who sees it. Someone would love a framed painting of a Super 71 while someone else would love the model in a snowy diorama. I'm not very good at portrait painting but an artist me not be good at models.  To each their own I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelh said:

Many years ago as a child. I was at an art and crafts exhibition. Mostly kids stuff the usual dodgy papier mache creations and various none to well made  but colourful craft objects sitting on some tables. A disappointing bunch I thought. Amongst them all were several very nicely made models that stood out in terms of how well they were built and painted. An Airfix Boy Scout, I recall was one. 

The way it was expressed was harsh, but he was correct, I am afraid.

That something (a craft in this case) is difficult, laborious, or time consuming, does not make it art. No matter how well made. Nor makes it art that it may need exceptional skills.

And as it was said before that something is beautiful does not make it automatically art either.

Nor is in the eye of the beholder (preference is, though). That you think of something in a certain way does not affect the objective, intrinsic quality of it. It affects you.

Art is defined by many aspects, and in some cases agreement on what is, and what it is not, is difficult or conflictive. But our little models are not the case, no matter how much one may like them, how well they are made, how accurate and so on and so forth. They are not art.

There are fundamental misunderstandings about art, three of the most common being:

1) That something that replicates reality faithfully is automatically art

2) The something that requires exceptional skill is automatically art

3) That something beautiful is automatically art.

Nobody tells an engineer how to make a bridge, but for some reason.... :hmmm:

Now you may think what you wish (as you will, and you are righteously entitled to), but I will go back to the building board, to dealing with lunch, and a pending translation 😉

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

What I meant by my question was what were the skis on the real airplane made of? Sorry for the ambiguous wording.

Mike

Oh, sorry:

Although some sources would want you to believe that they were made of Vibranium, and others of Adamantium, not to mention the usual deranged that claim that they were made by Fëanor in Tirion, they were actually made of laminated wood and some metal reinforcements.

• Thanks 1

To Moa the Shaolin Modeling Monk extraordinaire,

I love this build and have been incredibly impressed with the build quality and eclectic subjects you've done. I signed up to Britmodeler expressly to write this post to you. I hope you don't have any objections but your work needs to be broadcast to the world so I posted a link to your posts on Hyperscale.

Here is the link: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/the-world-needs-to-know-about-this-master-modeler-t502738.html#p2635445

I only posted that yesterday and you've gotten over 630 views. Thanks for all your posts. Your craftsmanship is inspirational. Like I said on Hyperscale no sniveling about kit fatal flaws or some missing detail.  Your doing scratch building and vac kits. Awesome. 

Jeff Oliveira in Calif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Oliveira said:

I love this build and have been incredibly impressed with the build quality and eclectic subjects you've done. I signed up to Britmodeler expressly to write this post to you. I hope you don't have any objections but your work needs to be broadcast to the world so I posted a link to your posts on Hyperscale.

Here is the link: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/the-world-needs-to-know-about-this-master-modeler-t502738.html#p2635445

I only posted that yesterday and you've gotten over 630 views. Thanks for all your posts. Your craftsmanship is inspirational. Like I said on Hyperscale no sniveling about kit fatal flaws or some missing detail.  Your doing scratch building and vac kits. Awesome. 

Jeff Oliveira in Calif

I read that just this morning, during my daily visit to Hyperscale forum.

Chris

59 minutes ago, Jeff Oliveira said:

Jeff Oliveira in Calif

Wow, Jeff, let me thank you for your kindness and interest.

I am afraid your praise far exceeds my skills.

I see this in a two-fold way: to give more exposure to lesser-known types of a more romantic and what we may call more humane period of aviation history, and....having lots of fun!

I appreciate your enthusiasm and I hope that your fellow modelers enjoy these efforts too.

All the very best, Jeff

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

More exceptional modelling skills on show, Moa.  A real beauty.  It must have been a pig to land.  The pilots forward view looks practically non-existant.  Would you consider building a Fairey Long Range Monoplane?  Strictly speaking a military aircraft but not used in a miltary fashion and would sit with your collection very nicely, I reckon. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Fantastic work, this is most impressive and shows what skill and patience can create from some very basic parts. Lovely!

Thanks, Jörgen, you are most kind.

2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

More exceptional modelling skills on show, Moa.  A real beauty.  It must have been a pig to land.  The pilots forward view looks practically non-existant.  Would you consider building a Fairey Long Range Monoplane?  Strictly speaking a military aircraft but not used in a miltary fashion and would sit with your collection very nicely, I reckon. 

Thanks!

I have had a folder on the Fairey Long Range for years and years, never actually getting at it, because of the borderline nature of the subject that you mentioned.

I am aware that many racers and record planes were sponsored by the military, and I had build some of them.

It's a "feeling" thing.

I rather build a Bleriot 110:

https://books.google.com/books?id=T-IDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA807#v=onepage&q&f=false

Or a Gasuden Koken:

Tokyo_Imperial_University,Gasuden_Koken.

I have already built the Tupolev Ant-25:

And have another one of those horrid IKAR kits to build the twin plane that had the blue fuselage.

So I think I will give the Fairey a pass for the time being.

Sorry :unsure:

1 minute ago, Moa said:

Thanks, Jörgen, you are most kind.

Thanks!

I have had a folder on the Fairey Long Range for years and years, never actually getting at it, because of the borderline nature of the subject that you mentioned.

I am aware that many racers and record planes were sponsored by the military, and I had build some of them.

It's a "feeling" thing.

I rather build a Bleriot 110:

https://books.google.com/books?id=T-IDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA807#v=onepage&q&f=false

Or a Gasuden Koken:

Tokyo_Imperial_University,Gasuden_Koken.

I have already built the Tupolev Ant-25:

And have another one of those horrid IKAR kits to build the twin plane that had the blue fuselage.

So I think I will give the Fairey a pass for the time being.

Sorry :unsure:

The Bleriot 110 is a new one on me but looks very interesting.  I'll have to look that one up and take a look.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

The Bleriot 110 is a new one on me but looks very interesting.  I'll have to look that one up and take a look.

Link to the SDASM Flickr photostream (go there, several images):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/bleriotzappata

A downloadable NACA PDF on the subject:

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19930090426.pdf

52 minutes ago, Moa said:

Link to the SDASM Flickr photostream (go there, several images):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/bleriotzappata

A downloadable NACA PDF on the subject:

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19930090426.pdf

Thanks Moa.  That is one huge aeroplane for somehting with only one engine. 

• Like 1