Air Anglia G-AMPZ using Airfix Dak.

Spad

Hi all

A bit later coming to this than some others so apologies for that!

Some years ago (46.1/2 to be exact) my primary school organised a day trip to Norwich Airport where we took a 1 hour jaunt around Norfolk in one of their Daks - being a well trained nerd (Dad was RAF aircrew!) I recorded the registration as G-AMPZ.

This is her on the day.

46130164142_5300ae51ba_k.jpg

We flew over our school and also my home and my trusty Kodak Instamatic captured this view of a Victor on the 57 Sqn pan and the corner at the top of our road about 100 yds from home.

46130219292_50f1289826_k.jpg

Strange as it might seem, I took no picture of the school! I did get a pic of the Coltishall Lightnings that were there while the Colt runway was resurfaced but I seem to have mislaid that one - Doh!

I have always harboured an ambition to build a model of that aircraft and having been put right off by the challenge of creating the "AA" on the fin etc I buried the idea. This GB changed all that and the pre-GB chat threw up opportunities to do an accurate representation! Hurrah! Got to love the internet and, especially, the Britmodeller massif!

So, my build for this will use the Airfix Dan-Air release and use the recently released set of decals by 26 that apparently includes all "AA" registrations generated by the aforementioned "chat". 

31727151677_8d6f1359eb_k.jpg

Janneman36 also saw my ramblings in the "chat" and came up with a set (or 2) of his home brewed Transair style gear doors - fantastic! Many thanks Jan!

46275483744_965a2b038c_k.jpg

Well, enough waffle, here's the pic of the materials - a box, a pile of sprues, some 26 decals and on the left, the vac-formed Transair doors

47031753271_3fe88e9bbf_k.jpg

Looking forwards to finally seeing off this itch!

Let the games commence!

ATB

Rick

Edited by Spad
spelling
  • Like 7

Rick

I will be watching this build with greater than normal interest. As you will have seen I have also chosen Air Anglia as my scheme. My build will not start until March so, more than likely, you will be ahead of me.

Paul821

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after a fair period of just thinking about it I'm finally away.

Lots of studying pics of 'PZ and comparing with the kit has allowed me to develop a list of things that need to be done, which need to be specific to 'PZ as all the aircraft in the fleet had small differences between them. Hopefully I have caught the relevant ones so, in no particular order:

1. Most obvious is the line of 8 windows on each side - fortunately the right side already has 7 so that's one fewer to add!

2. Transair doors - vac forms for which I am indebted to Janneman 36

3. Astrodome deleted and faired over.

4. Antenna fit to match pics of 'PZ

5. Delete the little window above and behind the cockpit area.

6. Remove and re-instate the feature just below that window which I believe is a venturi associated with some ASI function - maybe some more knowledgeable types will set me straight on what it is. Either way, on 'PZ it seems to be, uniquely, fitted below the forward access door on the front edge of the prop ice reinforcement (that this aircraft is confirmed as carrying).

Here's the before

33346079108_1f2df38360_k.jpgIMG_20190225_223357 by Rick Smith, on Flickr

And here's the after, with a bit of careful slicing and re-gluing with the window filled with superglue/talc. needs a little cleaning up around it in its new location.

33347099598_9806f79371_k.jpgIMG_20190226_223933 by Rick Smith, on Flickr

• Like 5

I want to build her with the passenger door open and use either the kit-supplied hook-on step (seen one pic of her with it attached) or if time permits, try to scratch some passenger steps. Problem is, my 11 year old brain didn't record all the details though I do recall it being very curved and smooth inside, maybe in a pale bluish grey with white seat heads. Then, lo and behold a google search threw up this find!

@adey m I came upon your build thread of the Academy 1/144 Dak, in these markings, and you had taken some interior shots, bless you!

Chuffed!?! I'll say as the interior shots confirmed, more or less, my memory but also highlights there is a bulkhead to the rear of the seats - with a curious window on the port half.

Does anybody have any pics or info on the design of the seats - I will build one or two seats for the very rear of the cabin, but no more as nothing else is likely to be visible further forwards.

Charging ahead now!

• Thanks 1

Hi Spad.

Seeing you move your venturi prompted me to check where the one was on my Entex kit.  It looks like it's too high. 

I was blissfully ignorant of this up until 5 minutes ago.  So thanks a bunch! :winkgrin:

• Haha 1

@CliffB Ha! So sorry chap! 😉

Loving your build.

I shouldn't worry too much as I have seen pics (somewhere) with very high venturis; they seem to wander around the airframe - in some pics I can't even find the darned thing!

Does anybody have any references (pics/dwgs) of the area directly opposite the passenger entry door on an airliner?

• Haha 1

jv DOORS OPEN

Is this of any use?

Forward of the half removable bulkhead is a galley unit, aft of that is baggage stowage. The aircraft, in this case, is G-AGJV.

Regarding the Venturi, its position did vary from airframe to airframe though I believe this happened when ex-military airframes were civilianised.

• Thanks 1

@jyguySplendid! That is a very clear pic - I will presume that they were all pretty much the same in that area (even thought his one doesn't have the bulkhead right behind the seats)

Many thanks

R

• 2 weeks later...

Got some work done now.
As per jyguy's excellent checklist on AA Dakota configurations I have now added 3 more windows to the 13 already in the kit - 2 more at the front and an extra one to the rear on the left giving me 8 each side

46618513444_c3f1937dcd_k.jpgIMG_3804 by Rick Smith, on Flickr

The extra seats at the front are ahead of the normal bulkhead position so I guess the navigator's position is deleted - would explain the missing letterbox slot that normally appears just above and behind the venturi. To replicate this I took a guess and sliced the internal racking and added a new half bulkhead on the left side. I know it won't be seen but I'll know it's there! 🙄

Not e the two slots in the floor for the original bulkhead position.

47287518942_61b824dc61_k.jpgIMG_3805 by Rick Smith, on Flickr

Next up, that rear bulkhead and some seats.....

All for now tho'

• Like 3

Hello Rick,

the picture below is the right configuration with a extra emergency door added....

The one in my pic is going to be the PH-RIC from Transavia ,it never flew as such but was sighted at Lydd in 1967 and was actually G-AMPZ..

This kit was allready once in full color untill i managed to ruin the paint at one point and is a shelve queen untill i pick it up again....

47317596832_ddd3e2c84e_b.jpg

Cheers, Jan

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that tip Jan - I had missed that completely!

Been a while since I posted but I haven't been idle - though must admit progress has been slow.

Finally got some decent clear through-the-door shots of 'MPZ, albeit not in AA service but enough cross checking seems to indicate it didn't change much from that time. So I've busied myself with a bit of structure opposite the pax door - though seeing this pic I might have just gone a bit heavy on the gauge of plastic card!

47465500252_b5ef779af8_k.jpgIMG_20190401_181625 by Rick Smith, on Flickr

I've also added a bit of framing around the loo door as that seems to be visible in the interior shot in adey m's post. Bit much? Probs! Ho hum - need to curb this if I  am to stand any chance of finishing this thing on time! So I've decided to not recreate all of the seating....just something that may be seen through the door.

That's all for now as no more pics but I have been joining tailplane halves and wheels etc.

ATB
Rick

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

OK so life has got in the way a little and I am dropping behind on both the build and the reporting.

Here's a couple of pics from just before closing up the fuselage.

Front end - not much detailing as little to be seen. I could have sworn I had a set of 1/72 seat belts so made do with painted tape (no time to ait for a set from Hannants!)

47643213231_31f6af5466_k.jpgIMG_20190419_143510 by Rick Smith, on Flickr

Here I've added a couple of scratchbuilt seats to give an impression if viewed through the open passenger door.

33765800078_a09cde5c62_k.jpgIMG_20190419_143455 by Rick Smith, on Flickr

Next stop, assembled fuselage - or so I thought!

• Like 3

Has anybody noticed this odd characteristic on the fin of their Airfix kit?

47643216181_8495648ecd_k.jpgIMG_20190402_191625 by Rick Smith, on Flickr.

If you look really closely you might make out some changes in the vertical panel lines along a horizontal line roughly in line with the top of the lower hinge. There is also a small step in the leading edge at the same point - almost as if the mould was damaged and that's the repair insert. Nothing serious as a quick pass or two with a scriber and sanding stick and it's more or less invisible. Just thought it interesting....🤔

• Like 1

So there I was mentally prepping to close up the fuse and I kept returning to a pic which showed a cargo net in the rear space behind that galley. Shall I, shan't I!?!

Well you know the outcome - of course I had to have a go! Tamiya tape painted same blue as the seats.

32737148837_3c0ab2a187_k.jpgIMG_20190419_181326 by Rick Smith, on Flickr

Blimey that was a testing little job!

Pleased I did give in but I hope never again - all it wants to do is stick to itself!

Anyway all closed up now so I can't fiddle anymore and full steam ahead with airframe etc

• Like 2

On 4/23/2019 at 9:03 PM, Spad said:

Has anybody noticed this odd characteristic on the fin of their Airfix kit?

If you look really closely you might make out some changes in the vertical panel lines along a horizontal line roughly in line with the top of the lower hinge. There is also a small step in the leading edge at the same point - almost as if the mould was damaged and that's the repair insert. Nothing serious as a quick pass or two with a scriber and sanding stick and it's more or less invisible. Just thought it interesting....🤔

Yes i have this on all my 14 Dakota’s ...

Your effort on the interior looks very good👍

cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

A fair bit of progress has been made recently. To be honest its all about boring assembly and fill/sand cycles so not really much to record so nothing to show during that lot really. However, all assembled and ready for masking.  I guess most fun was had around the three new windows to make the 8 each side configuration. Glazed with Evergreen Clear Styrene so it glues in nicely with normal cement. A couple of pieces of microstrip were added inside the aperture to stop it all dropping inside.

46955672954_0c8bf577bf_k.jpgIMG_20190428_003615 by Rick Smith, on Flickr

Also occupied myself with a hollowing out the ends of the exhausts as they are pretty large and look really odd with solid ends

46828400305_5cfa2f61e6_k.jpg

Masking then paint next.

See you later!

• Like 2

Liking the progress.  Would love a set of those Transair  undercart doors though!!   

That notch at top of the fin LE, is that not where the aerial wire connection goes? On the other half of the fin(fuselage half) its moulded in place so it fills that notch.

12 hours ago, Paul J said:

Liking the progress.  Would love a set of those Transair  undercart doors though!!   

That notch at top of the fin LE, is that not where the aerial wire connection goes? On the other half of the fin(fuselage half) its moulded in place so it fills that notch.

Thanks Paul J appreciated!

Actually the doors are not mine - I was very kindly supplied them by Janneman36. Depending how I get on with them I may have something spare so if you can hang on I'll pass on whatever I have left (subject Jan's blessing of course!)

Re the fin, I was referring to a faint step change in panel lines with a change in the leading edge directly in line with that - approx level with the top line of the lower rudder hinge.

Cheers

Rick

Edited by Spad
updated detail
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spad said:

Thanks Paul J appreciated!

Actually the doors are not mine - I was very kindly supplied them by Janneman. Depending how I get on with them I may have something spare so if you can hang on I'll pass on whatever I have left (subject Jan's blessing of course!)

Re the fin, I was referring to a faint step change in panel lines with a change in the leading edge directly in line with that - approx level with the top line of the lower rudder hinge.

Cheers

Rick

A yes!!  I see it now. Very subtle though it took a good hard study of you good pic to see it. I'll take a look at my unbuilt one and built ones to see.

• Like 1

Aargh! Disaster!

Just as I thought I had the topside of this thing I have to leave it for a week - overseas trip beckons (and, no, I can't take it with me before anybody asks!)

Oh well, managed to get the glazing masked off and some primer and gloss white onto the cabin roof. Tamiya white primer and Tamiya TS-26 spray decanted and airbrushed.

47745089411_c5ba765f95_k.jpg

I might be able to get some masking done and a base black on for the Alclad lowers - have to see how packing and travel arrangements go.

Blast it - thought I might actually finish a GB again! I'm back on the 11th so may get some more done before the deadline but I don't believe I will finish it in time - sorry guys!

Rick the p***ed off (believe me!)

Oh no that’s such a pain Rick i feel for you.

Gotta say the workmanship is top notch on all of this build.

Am loving how you’ve drilled out the exhausts; pure precision.

• Thanks 1