Air Anglia DC3 - ++++ Finished ++++

Paul821

I thought I'd hitch my wagon to this particular (Sky)Train as it departs. My first build will be one of these

DSC02467

as per the thread title I will be modelling and Air Anglia example as I remember these flying out of Stansted in the 1970's.

Decals are courtesy of 26Decals.I the quality of the decals matches the excellent service I had from them I will be well pleased.

DSC02468

Due to a number of other projects on the go at the moment, not least one build in the Nato - Warsaw Pact GB and the fact I have a 11 day break from modelling comin up, this build will be on-hold for a month. During that time I will observe the other builds on the GB and be able to make up my mind on which model to use for this build. The other model will become a Operation Varsity aircraft as this was the only time during WW2 that C-47's operated from my local airfields.

• Like 8

When I was a student I worked at Edinburgh airport - the old terminal at Turnhouse that is. Air Anglia flights were handled by my summer employers. I recall they used F-27’s all week but a DC-3 on a Saturday morning for the Norwich-Leeds-Edinburgh-Aberdeen run and back. One Saturday we had some excitement when the DC-3 came in with a runaway prop as I recall. Always wondered which one it was now and if after some 45 years if I recall the emergency correctly. 

Looking forward to to your build as have one of these and an F-27 plus the Air Anglia decals for both to do one day. I’ll tag along if I may

• 1 month later...

Having returned to the UK after two weeks away, and a couple of days catching up,  I now can come back to this GB. The build may be slow as there are a number of other projects in hand at the moment. The first task was to establish which of the two kits I would use. So I copied the decals and cut out one of the cheat lines and windows.

DSC00871

Looking at the two fuselage sides together

DSC00872

You can see that the windows on the Airfix (lower) kit are deeper than the Italeri, by about 1.5mm

Overlaying the copy of the decals

DSC00873

They seem to be a good fit to the Italeri model. Added to which it does not have the astrodome and also has a preset cut out for the missing window.

As a result the Airfix kit will return to the stash for a future build. This may or may not appear in this GB

• Like 1

Paul

Before you make that call

I think you may have the cheatline upside down there - the tapering part goes down under the flightdeck windows onto the nose.

Also, have you noticed that the window glazing for the Airfix kit includes frames so the apertures in the fuselage side are unnaturally large as a result?

As a last thought, you could just use the plain cheatlines and cut the windows out after application - that's the route I'll be taking as I never like to trust decal to match kits! 😁

• Thanks 1

As is the custom here is the sprue shot.

DSC00879

Rather bereft of parts compared to the Airfix kit. However that suits my build style. Unlike @Spad I will not being ensuring that all details are correct. I only ever saw the Air Anglia DC3's in the air so as long at the resulting model does not have too many paint flaws and looks right viewed at a distance where it seems about 4 inches long I will be happy.

• Like 3

This is not an early candidate for this year's Blitzbuild but 40 minutes later it's starting to look like a DC3

DSC00880

Actually there are only 15 parts in this dry build - the only parts glued are the internal bulkheads. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know where the last 10 days have gone! Actually I do what with 1:1 modelling (better known as house renovation / extension) and various evening meetings time has slipped by.

The DC3 returned to the workspace today. This time I got my copied decals the right way round and taped then to the fuselage.

DSC00883

This them allowed by to get the masking tape in the right position. The weather forecast for tomorrow here is remaining warm so I hope to get to get the first upper white sprayed, Most probably Halfords appliance white, I cannot remember whose build it is, but thanks for the suggestion of cutting the floor out to allow for windows to be fitted after painting - most helpful.

• Like 5

At the moment I am stymied by the weather. Least week the temp' was up to 16 c so I got the upper fuselage white coat on., finished the wings and engines. So ready for the metallic coat and the temp drops to 4 c. My spray painting tends to be in the garage with the door open. so progress is on hold. Currently Sunday looks reasonable..

Here it is at the moment: as usual the photo shows flaws I missed

DSC03634

The wings are not attached to allow the windows to be fitted after the painting and decals. For the first time I am also using cling film to mask the engines and wheel wells.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I should try the cling film masking method.

I don't know the results yet!

The way I am working is to actually incorporate the clingfilm into the build. That is into the nacelles as the engines are installed. I don't think it will work where you have delicate parts. This is an ideal test bed,  The theory is that it is flexible enough to pull out once the paint is on.

• Like 1

Moment of truth after masking, including the clingfilm experiment.

Upper white is Halfords Appliance white

Lower - Humbrol aerosol Silver

DSC03630

There are faults but I m happy. The clingfilm worked well.. Wings not attached as  the windows are going to be fitted after the decals. The build will be on hold until the weekend as I need to get some Decalfix.

• Like 4

This post comes with two warnings  mainly to myself. Although I thought I was out of Decalfix I discovered I did have some so resumed this evening. I started with the right side to avoid the door etc.

DSC03631

Woops...

1)  As I have not used 3rd party laser printed decals before I was unaware of how thin they were and the demarcation between the upper and lower paints can be seen.

2) I did not notice the extra window at the front. I have attempted to cover it using the extra lining. with limited success.

Oh well you learn from your mistakes

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

The other side went on well, so I am now entering the final stretch on this one. However rather than learn from my mistakes I thought I would through the next technique out for comment. As I said in the thread I left the wings unattached so the windows could be added after painting and the first application of decals. I now have three choices:

1) The Windows in the decals have lined up so I could leave the model as-is and not insert the windows.

2) Insert the windows behind the decals

3) Cut the windows out and then insert the windows

Any thoughts and ideas gratefully received.

Hi Paul,

option three should have my preference as without those windows it would feel right and coul get damage those decals because they are going to tear in the ende, and the second gives you air between  the windows and decal..

This also will look wierd ..

But i have another wierd idea!! Can you fill the windows from the inside with kristal clear when you leave the decal untouched..

When you do this you don’t have to cut your decals..

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

8 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Can you fill the windows from the inside with kristal clear when you leave the decal untouched

Physically I could manage that, my only concerns would be: a) that capillary action might lead to the kristal clear seeping under the decals and b) would there be any interaction between the kristal clear - decals and Decalfix? 

The best way might be to test it so watch this space.

• Thanks 1

Hi Paul, I glazed a DC2 once using just clear decal.  It looked great to start with but within a few months started to tear (I think of its own accord).  So personally, I'd probably cut the decal out from the windows and re-glaze (with the kit parts or Kristal Klear, as you prefer).  It's going to be a smart build whichever way you go!

On 4/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, Paul821 said:

1)  As I have not used 3rd party laser printed decals before I was unaware of how thin they were and the demarcation between the upper and lower paints can be seen.

Oh well you learn from your mistakes

Ooh! That's confirmed my worst fears I was wondering if they were opaque enough or going to be a little see-through. Looks like it's not just you that will learn from you - though I wouldn't exactly call that a mistake - just a fact of life with these decals, surely?

Looking good though, all the same! :like:

• Thanks 1

After the warm weather I thought I'd move into my summer quarters (aka the Garage) this will be for the last time as this time next year I will be in the middle of moving house - that is if the planning department at the local council approve our plans - I ask myself was buying a listed building a good idea?

Anyway back to modelling.

Thanks to @CliffB for his remarks about decals, as a result I decided to cut the windows out and indeed the decals has started to become brittle.

Here is the current state - not much to see...

DSC03635

Windows fitted, with some filed with Deluxe Materials Glue 'n' Glaze. If the glazing is OK then tomorrow the wings can go on along with the final decals.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot believe how long it is since I posted an update. Anyway with only seven days to go until the chequered flag on this GB, I hope I have picked up my paintbrushes for the last time.

Current state

DSC03659

Black leading edges masked and painted as well as anti-glare on the nose. There was some creep of paint on the nose but I has been touched up and does not look too bad at normal viewing distance.. For once it looks better in the photo than in reality.

Fairly confident that it will get finished.

• Like 2

I will subject this to a final inspection tomorrow but I am happy with the result, despite a number of flaws & inaccuracies.

DSC03660

• Like 5

Pictures in the Gallery.

Firstly thanks to all those who have placed likes by my posts, and aso those who have given me tips through their own builds. All most appreciated.

Although this build took much longer than anticipated to bring to completion I enjoyed it. The final build has a number of flaws and inaccuracies but at the end of the day the aim was to produce a model of an aircraft I saw 40 years ago and have no photo's of my own of. I looks like the DC3 I remember and that is enough for me.

Main issues:

• did not check opacity of decals and the demarcation between the upper and lower surfaces take time.
  • never assume you have fully pressed down masking tape
  • It could have done with some seats and close up you can actually see that the interior Is empty.
  • One thing I still have not got correct is painting the yellow on propeller tips. Both getting a good coat of yellow and also a regular size on all six faces,

Although the group build is over I still have the Airfix model n the stash and that will become an Operation Varsity example in time for the 75th anniversary next year.

Now a short break from GB's until D-day and Frog sessions set off.

• Like 2