Tim's Jet Provost JP4 - COMPLETED

theplasticsurgeon

New generation Airfix JP3 kit that you've all seen.

Boxart.jpg

Camo JP4 markings from spares etc - that looks remarkably similar to that being released by Airfix later this year.

Target.jpg

79 Squadron RAF, trainer for Phantom and Buccaneer etc back seaters I believe.

My first build of this kit, which cost me £8 from SMW2016.  Two more in the stash thanks to Aldi.

Here are the parts.

Parts.jpg

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info
  • Like 7

This looks to be another nice kit from Airfix in what appears to be their jet trainer series so sure it'll be a fun project for you :thumbsup:

It's a very nice wee kit, and mine was one of my inspirations for suggesting this GB.

If you're concerned about accuracy, the T.4 boxing is actually a T.3 - the changes aren't difficult and you'll get a warm fuzzy feeling when you get them done. Basically the elevators need modifying, the pitot mount needs extending and there's various scoops to add to the engine cover area. Also, the dividing frame on the canopy should actually be internal, which is the only major modification needed IMO, the rest are pretty easy. My poor build is in the Made in Britain II GB, feel free to look if you desire (I'm sure that yours will be immeasurably superior).

Welcome to the GB!

Great to see the line of early Provosts.

Many years ago there was a magazine called PAM News (as in Plastic aircraft modelling ) who ran an article about building the whole series. I remember making a JP1 from the nose of an Airfix JP3 kit grafted onto a Matchbox piston provost airframe. The jet pipe was added under the tail and the tricycle undercarriage scratch built. 

It came out rather well and was not particularly difficult. The model has since been lost in the mist of time but was a good comparison to the original now sitting at Cosford. 

Colin 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

looking good - Nothing like a good worming session ... on a piece of plastic :) 

Though my sister-in-law would assume that it would involve applying  oral gel to horses !

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Confused 1

On 2/19/2019 at 3:23 PM, Colin W said:

Great to see the line of early Provosts.

Many years ago there was a magazine called PAM News (as in Plastic aircraft modelling ) who ran an article about building the whole series. I remember making a JP1 from the nose of an Airfix JP3 kit grafted onto a Matchbox piston provost airframe. The jet pipe was added under the tail and the tricycle undercarriage scratch built. 

It came out rather well and was not particularly difficult. The model has since been lost in the mist of time but was a good comparison to the original now sitting at Cosford. 

Colin 

I remember buying just one issue of PAM News, for an overview of available Mirage kits.  I probably hadn't started my magazine habit in those days.  Dennis Teague was the editor I think, but I'm  probably wrong.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

Which airframe are you doing? There are some subtle variations in the camo scheme and markings over time, even for what was a relatively small number of airframes. (E.g anti-glare panel, 2 quite different camo demarcations - and one aircraft carried both,  markings, even underwing colours and wing wrap round)

Edited by Dave Fleming

On 2/19/2019 at 3:23 PM, Colin W said:

Many years ago there was a magazine called PAM News (as in Plastic aircraft modelling ) who ran an article about building the whole series.

21 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

XP547/03. I've got several photos of her.

PAM news did a 4 view drawing of XP547 (done by a poster on here IIRC from direct observation of the real thing)