AMT Ertl P-40N 1/48

cger

Here is another of my builds from 2018:  a P-40 Warhawk from 45th Fighter Squadron in the Pacific, with the famous 'Geronimo' markings. 

The Hasegawa kit is difficult to find at reasonable prices, so I purchased  an AMT kit on Ebay. I had read that the overall shapes are ok. I spend some efforts improving the cockpit with

plastic strips etc and riveted the kit with a wheel from RB productions. The kit decals went directly to the trash can, fortunately I was able to get spare markings from the Hasegawa kit. 

The painting is done with Gunze Aqueous colors. I did a small base by making resin copies of photoetched PSP plates.

I hope you will like it,

P1060080

P1060082P1060076

P1060079

P1060084

P1060083

• Like 27

Great build and finish!  It looks like you added the canopy rails as part of your cockpit work.  Did you do anything else to the cockpit?  I can't really tell from the photographs.  I'm guessing those are aftermarket tires too.  I only know this because I've built several of those AMT P-40s and its clones, although I've never used the AMT kit decals so wasn't aware how bad they are.  I actually like the AMT kit; pretty decent as far as accuracy, as you mention, although not as detailed as the Hasegawa offering .  And sure a lot easier to build (at least for me) since it doesn't have all those inserts and plugs that take time and effort to clean up. 

Thanks for posting yours!

Cheers,

Mark

hi Mark,

thanks for your comments, in the cockpit I scratch build the seat, the gunsight and the back armor and improved a little the sides. And you are right, the tyres and propeller blades are from Ultracast. The AMT decals for the stars were ok, but the nose art one was horrendous,

best,

Christian.