H builds The BAe Hawk T1 FINISHED

Hockeyboy76

2 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Fab job mate. You were right, you definitely can't beat a camo-wrap

Everything looks cool in camo wrap!

A few more decals to go, then I can fit the u/c, finish the cockpit and wrap this build up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/16/2019 at 12:02 PM, Silenoz said:

Nice job you have... better than most childhood dreams...

The model is looking good too btw...

Thanks dude. I did work in Belgium for just over 3 years back in 2001, a little NATO place near Mons. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The seats look great with the tape belts added bud. The end results just keep getting better and better, I think that you are starting to get the hang of this modelling malarkey. :P

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

The seats look great with the tape belts added bud. The end results just keep getting better and better, I think that you are starting to get the hang of this modelling malarkey. :P

Thank you kind Sir, high praise indeed from the King of 144 :worthy:

My ambitions seriously outweigh my skills. :pilot:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Thank you kind Sir, high praise indeed from the King of 144 :worthy:

My ambitions seriously outweigh my skills. :pilot:

You never improve if you don't push yourself a little further every time.  😉

• 2 weeks later...

Disaster, the super glue I always use has decided today to fog the canopy 

resized_f0b61634-cb91-4d1b-a3fd-041ddcb6

Not sure what to do with this now. Tempted to make a canopy cover. 

• Sad 2

Canopy cover is a good shout or get some of that 'snow' for dioramas and model it on a winter day.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Canopy cover is a good shout or get some of that 'snow' for dioramas and model it on a winter day.

Canopy cover made from Tamiya tape and painted in Hum 31. Looks exactly like the ones we used when road moving them.

resized_a1793f28-edc4-41e8-93cb-44f68e9c

Had a little accident while doing it, dropped the model and the scalpel, automatically closed my legs to save the model and managed to stab myself in the leg with the scalpel. Model is fine. Leg is sore:violin:

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'm liking your update due to the canopy cover and saving the model hitting the floor rather than due to the stabbing incident :crying:

Edited by Col.
  • Haha 1

That's a great recovery H, and a cracking idea from @Col. which has been stored for future use when needed.  I had a similar scalpel incident a couple of weeks ago when trimming a part, I ended up juggling with my scalpel and attempted an appendectomy, the blade was lodged in the New Delhi through a new T-shirt. :owww:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

nice result, can't the fogging be polished away?

Fogging is on the inside of the sealed canopy. Easier to cover it. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76

Finished. I had enjoyed the build right up until the canopy faff. Will be building more Hawks later as I have a Red Arrows theme stuck in the back of my mind. 

resized_97e2e92f-7ac4-49d0-b14a-a69b1a28

More pics in the gallery. 

• Like 2

Looks great mate, I'm still liking the canopy cover. I will look forward to your Red Arrow themed builds. 

Re canopy, I don't know if you dipped it in Klear before gluing it in place, but that can help to reduce the risk of fogging when using superglue to fix them in position. Alternatively you could try one of the canopy glues like Deluxe Materials Glue n Glaze or Pacer Formula 560, they take longer to set but it is easier to remove the canopy should there be any issues.

Another product that looks good for restoring clarity of clear parts is AK Interactive's Gauzy Agent, I haven't tried it myself yet but the reviews seem promising. HTH  

• Thanks 1

Shame about the canopy as you have done a great job with the painting and decaling. Not a mark of silver anywhere. 

Looks good and probably more realistic with the cover. 

Colin 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your kind comments guys,

@nimrod54 , always dip in Klear before painting and glueing. I have bought some Humbrol Kristal clear to use for my next build & have heard good things about Guazy agent. 

@Colin W, the Hawk was well glossed before the decals went on, then Matt varnish, then a coat of Klear. Luckily I knew what a hawk canopy cover looked like. 

• Like 1