H builds The BAe Hawk T1 FINISHED

Hockeyboy76

I did say I was going to build something with proper trainer colours, raspberry ripple all the way, none of this new fandangle black rubbish. But I have the new Airfix Hawk with the camo wrap and Everything looks cool in a camo wrap. 

I will post some pictures soon. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

...Everything looks cool in a camo wrap.

Whilest I do like Raspberry Ripple there's no denying that :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Popcorn? Are you not joining us John?

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

He is, he just doesn't know it yet...

:fight:

Oddly enough fellas I have just had a rummage around looking for some better parts for the Prowler (no joy there though) and came across this. 

46327100554_56c2d6cd85_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Photos

resized_9424d9ef-4549-4c41-a26b-ce2c3bf0

resized_b2627a90-568e-4a60-8c7d-3b460b9b

So as previously mentioned I will be build XX353 in all is glorious camo colours, but I do have a bit of history with XX256. It was the last aircraft I road moved whilst on crash and smash just before leaving the RAF. We road moved it from Warton to Valley after it diverted there due to a bird strike IIRC.  And here it is on the back of my trailer

resized_4972fb52-a8be-420c-bb47-6aa05602

Well the front and “back wings” as I called them (just to wind up the techies) and the tail. 

• Like 5

A bit of progress on the cockpit today

resized_1e8ea2fe-ca2f-44d6-8349-7d3d8a74

I did also have these to use

resized_984cfb32-88b7-4565-a68e-a18435e2

The etch for the pit looks good although if I used the dials, the aircrew would not get their legs past the centres and the pit walls already have detail. I will keep it for the Matchbox Hawk I have. I will be using the pitot. 

• Like 4

Making progress on the Hawk too

resized_2e381a89-6b42-4bd7-886c-98b590ec

I did forget to drill out the attachment points for the sidewinders which I was planning to fit. I can find no pictures of them fitted to xx353 so I will keep them and mount them on a Red Arrows Hawk build I’m planning for later on in the year. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

What's happen to this one, it looks nearly finished ?

I love the pictures of the 1:1 scale one !

cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

Work and DIY projects, hope to make some more progress soon.  I was more used to seeing hawks like this

resized_b4972154-fba0-44ab-84f4-59f08428

I road moved them from Boscombe Down to Vector in Gosport where they were first stripped of paint, then road moved back to Boscombe for “work” then road moved back to Vector for re-painting, then road moved back finally for reassembling. You would be lucky if the plastic sheet covering the cockpit survived the journey in one piece. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Let me get this straight, you also get paid to do this !

You lucky lucky sod, (other more emotive wording is available :giggle:)

I got to empty a septic tank last week that had last been touched when dinosaurs roamed the earth, fortunately photos are not available  :sick: :repuke:

Do you get to move over any other aircraft apart from Hawks ?

cheers Pat

• Haha 4

@JOCKNEY

Hi Pat, I used to get paid for it, then I left the RAF after 22 years, so can’t do it anymore, but had 10 fantastic years road moving pretty much anything in the UK armed forces that flies, from Spitfires through to the 4 fake F35s that the navy have in culdrose. I will see if I can find a picture. I also picked up the pieces when they crashed. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 1

H@JOCKNEY and anyone else who is interested,

resized_7c02e0e0-fd5f-45b1-913e-9ac6c6dc

Fake Spitfire, IIRC this is RAF Digbys gate guard after being resprayed at Cranwell, after putting this one back in place we removed Cranwell’s one and took it to the paint shop. 

resized_e589a696-e7fc-4293-a1e5-56facf5a

The first of 4 Fake 35s for the Navy. This one has IBCs inside that can be filled with water to adjust the weight for “tug” practice. 

resized_e1d0c6b4-b91e-4768-a0e6-739e4104

Real Tonka, I believe this was the one taken to London for the RAF 100 celebrations. 

ed519cd0-c5e9-48ad-ba82-398a6093db22.JPG

“Lucy”, With the artwork removed for some reason. Had to recover her from Leeds Bradford airport IIRC after engine problems. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...