Mark's 1/72 Airfix Folland Gnat T.1

MarkSH

Hello all,

I'm going to start with the diminutive Gnat T.1 

40070815043_bff0d9d81b_b.jpg

I've had the kit for ages and everything about it is so small including the box that it had fallen into the darkest deepest region of the stash cupboard, so much so that I had completely forgotten about it until the idea of a Trainers GB had been floated.

I'll be doing it completely OOB as per the box art scheme, I have bought a tinlet of Humbrol's enamel fluorescent fire orange in anticipation, it does look good with the silver.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

This one should give you a fun project Mark :) I've read stories of the fit being less than perfect but my experience with Airfix is that taking the burr of the edge of mating surfaces and keeping then paint free helps a lot. Sure you'll master it no bother.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Orange is the new black! Apparently.

Not when you're in a nightfighter it ain't !

My son Dylan has long stalled build of one of these, I might try and use your build to encourage him to finish it.

i look forward to seeing this one progress

I will have to get the moderators permission first and they are a tough group to please :giggle:

cheers Pat

• Haha 2

I'm only really building this to please SWMBO " Why are all your models so dull? dirty brown and green or various shades of dirty grey!" I swear next time I'm going to do an all-over Purple with a feature wall in the cockpit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The only really tricky bit that I found with my Gnat was the fit of the intakes - a second attempt with my other kit will no doubt ease that. Also a little fiddly is fitting the wing to the fuselage, which can be corrected with some judicious filing. With a file, not filler.

That said, I only finished mine a couple of weeks ago, 2 years after the relevant GB closed...

Oh... the masking on the ailerons is a bit fiddly if you're going to follow the prototype, lots of small cut outs. I suggest a new blade and fresh Tamiya tape.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

I Thought I had better make a start on the Gnat, and as usual started with the cockpit. I busied up the seats a bit with some Milliput for the head box, seat back and bottom, copper wire for the actuator handles and some flattened lead wire seatbelts, I have fitted the control columns since taking the photo. I figured that with the main gear so far back there is little chance of it being a tail sitter, but I've been caught out before so I stuck some lead shot in the nose to be on the safe side:

32429326497_ae52a1cba7_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Sorry for the lack of updates, on the Gnat, but a flurry of activity and I have got the basic assembly primed and painted:

46642892295_a207bc6495_b.jpg

I used Vallejo Metal Colour Aluminium over Tamiya light grey rattle can primer

46642892235_8085c9d5e7_b.jpg

I decided that the kit supplied Pitot was too clunky so used the attaching point as the basis for a brass tube replacement:

46642892365_bd3e2c79b2_b.jpg

A vast improvement.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

Evening all,

I sprayed the Day glow orange (Hu 209 Fire Orange) a couple of days a go and let it cure before removing the masking. I thinned it considerably and it was a test to see just how far I could go with the wet coats and to be honest, I thought I'd gone too far but, it has settled down quite nicely with a very glossy finish and very little 'orange peel' effect. I did have a slight problem with the wind screen with what I'm assuming is some solvent or cement on it that can't be polished out,.... there's always something.

Anyway, I'm happy with the paintwork thus far. I have hand painted in some variations on the silver paintwork on a few selected panels:

40628128403_e81bda0782_b.jpg

40628128233_f333f46e59_b.jpg

Time to seal it and put a pin wash in the trenches panel lines.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

Well I very nearly consigned this to the shelf of shame and even considered the bin for a moment all due to a ridiculous and fundamental mistake in the basic construction that I only noticed during the decaling. Can you see the error in the picture of the underside? (see above). 

The only positive is that the error is on the bottom so at least I won't have to look at it, but I'll know its there!

Anyway I eventually decided to continue with the decaling and here is where it stands at the moment:

48014631803_91401e3b91_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

Looking very Gnatty (heh) there Mark!  I managed to lose the pitot (still don't know where it went) for the one that I built a while back and used stretched sprue for it, with the fairing part built up from superglue- yours looks much nicer than mine.

Get this'un finished and into the gallery, man!

(I can't work out your alleged underside error.)

That looks awesome!  I'm glad the Humbrol 209 sprays on well, because it's b&%$er all use for brushing as I am now finding out.  Takes forever to dry and needs 3-4 coats.  That one really looks the biz, though, that silver and orange scheme is really nice.

Al.

• Thanks 1

PS - I can't work out the error you've made either - and I've spent a lot of time trying to get mine to fit together in the last week...  Put us out of our misery!

The error is still bugging me too! I must have got mixed up with the orientation of the views in the instructions and fitted the undercarriage bay cover completely the wrong way round meaning the main gear is angled wrongly, the scoop intake is on the wrong side and facing the wrong way. The worrying thing is the part fits perfectly both ways! and I didn't even notice. What with the error and the solvent mark on the left hand side of the wind shield, I just have to make sure I only look at it from the port top quarter.

41 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

The error is still bugging me too! I must have got mixed up with the orientation of the views in the instructions and fitted the undercarriage bay cover completely the wrong way round meaning the main gear is angled wrongly, the scoop intake is on the wrong side and facing the wrong way. The worrying thing is the part fits perfectly both ways! and I didn't even notice. What with the error and the solvent mark on the left hand side of the wind shield, I just have to make sure I only look at it from the port top quarter.

Do you mean the bit that sits between the main undercarriage legs?  I didn't think that could go both ways.  I had a fight with mine cos it was a really tight fit.  Even with mine the right way, my undercarriage legs are, I think, angled wrongly.  Too straight...

Al.

Morning all,

I am finished with the Gnat. Not a bad little kit overall but a bit fiddly, probably just too small for my great sausage fingers!

Basically as provided by Airfix with the addition of some seat belts and a new pitot from some brass tubing.

48023336351_36075a8192_b.jpg

Gallery pic shortly.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

On 09/02/2019 at 18:14, MarkSH said:

I'm only really building this to please SWMBO " Why are all your models so dull? dirty brown and green or various shades of dirty grey!" I swear next time I'm going to do an all-over Purple with a feature wall in the cockpit!

Maybe remind her about the beautiful Grumman Duck you built too. :lol: Great build Mark and a cracking result.