This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Hmm now I'm a big fan of most Art: I make regular pilgrimages to MOMA, the Prado et al as well monthly visits to the Tates and RA. But this conceptual artist has just got my goat...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/WxZ5Ys5RTfcqq9wK7CwyjY/the-man-who-buries-planes

His rationale, for those of you too appalled to read through this piffle is:

"These burials play with systems of power and question brute masculinity, elegantly reflecting environmental issues and globalisation. There’s an end of the world quality to what Hiorns creates. He describes it as a gesture towards changing the status quo; changing our relationship to planes"

In the words of Lord Gnome,

"Pass the sickbag, Alice."

Ach it's the typical modern. 'oh so clever'(NOT) tosh that sells. Great lazy way to make money and a name for yourself. You don't have to make the plane, you get someone else to dig the hole and you get someone else to pay for all the materials and then you make yourself sound 'cool' to all the idiots with big wallets. I would stick this in the same pile with Damien Hirst and Anthony Gormley. I have to say that I would also put Banksy in the same pile. I find that that 'international man of mystery' is not at all interesting and his supposed wit and wisdom are very much for the simpletons of the Twittersphere. Your average newspaper cartoonists creates more intelligent social commentary and probably spends more time over it.

If I had a real Mig 21 it would be proudly on display in the garden not buried in a hole !

Beardie will probably have seen the Scottish lady comedienne I refer to but there was a television comedy sketch show up here on BBC Scotland and whenever someone started on something or was spinning a tale she would sniff loudly three or four times and say “aye, definitely”

And I could smell it just reading the article

a final thought.  Perhaps Marty (aka Beardie) and I could engage in a collaborative art project burying pseudo art intellectuals alive demonstrating thereby the agony of the artist suffering for their art in the face of the ignorant proletariat. I’m up for it. :wicked::D

John do you not mean that she would say " I smell 'nasty human waste products'?"

I am definitely up for the project you mention. 

Indeed my recollection was not 100% 

if anyone want a laugh just Utube search Karen Dunbar   I can smell ........

Edited by JohnT
Fat fingers and autocorrupt

So once all that metal has corroded and contaminated the land, Who gets to clean it up?

BTW, 'Ee's a looney.

We would have liked that MiG 21 for our collection. The 125 was ex 32 Sqn and pristine until that 'artist' got hold of it. :mental:

It was potentially still flyable, you can find it in the 'Walkaround' section.

I know what I would like to see buried in that hole.

Here's hoping he'll do the same with an A380....

Edited by Vince1159

The big problems with art.... it's already been done...

dump-p38s.jpg

P-38 Lightnings being dumped and buried after V-J Day at Clark Field

or, for a grand art gesture...

6301888959_b63e4a5d30_o.jpg1945: HMS PIONEER ditching planes off Sydney after WWII - Fleet Air Arm Archive 1939-1945 [RN] website. by Horatio J. Kookaburra, on Flickr

4943. At the end of the Pacific War, carriers of the British Pacific Fleet dumped hundreds of surplus aircraft, perhaps more than 1000, at sea off the Australian east coast as the massive tasks of demobilization began. Peter Dunn's Australia at War website refers to 700-800 aircraft dumped during nine disposal voyages by the carriers HMS PIONEER, HMS PERSEUS and HMS SLINGER off Noosa on Queensland's Sunshine Coast, north of Brisbane in 1946.

The photograph above shows surplus aircraft being dumped from HMS PIONEER, a 13,400 Colossus Class maintenance aircraft carrier. 

so...whose going to tell him

What an absolute tete de Richard!! No doubt that other pretentious wazock, Saatchi, has already got his cheque book out.

Right you lot of philistines stop it now. Everyone pull the unfinished models off the shelf of doom and bury them in the garden and send the photos to the guy and place on Farcebook. That will get the art critics going :wicked:

51 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Here's hoping he'll do the same with an A380....

Like with the Australian Air Force simply burying 23 of their old worn out F-111's in an old mine site at Swanbank in November 2011. It was cheaper to bury them than scrap them !

Hmm, I buried a dead hamster a while back, I wonder if I can apply for an NEA grant...

Nah, I didn't get enough publicity I guess.

14 minutes ago, Tzulscha said:

Hmm, I buried a dead hamster a while back, I wonder if I can apply for an NEA grant...

Actually yes as long as it was a Siberian ‘Amster and no one smells a rat

Did he get a waste disposal licence?, or is that why the site, mentioned in the radio 4 article, in the East of England undisclosed?

8 hours ago, azureglo said:

“Pass the sickbag, Alice."

Agreed 

8 hours ago, Beardie said:

I would stick this in the same pile with Damien Hirst and Anthony Gormley. I have to say that I would also put Banksy in the same pile.

You forgot Andy warhol ? 

Oh there are many who could go into the pot. A lot of Jackson Pollock's included. It seems to be a 20th/21st century sickness which, I think, stems from the introduction of the camera and the sense that 'art' needs to find something to say that can't be captured by a camera if it's to stay a money spinner. The world is still full of talented craftsmen, painting, sculpting, carving and even, dare I say it, model-making but it doesn't bring in the big bucks. The reality is that, except for a select few, it never did and even then it was usually after they were dead and their work had become 'limited edition'. For every Da Vinci there were thousands of other brilliant artists who never made a living at it and who are unknown now. 

IMHO. Mr Hiorns is nothing but a vandal, I completely concur with above opinions as to what would constitute suitable alternative hole fill.   <_<

Steve.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Agreed 

You forgot Andy warhol ? 

Nah, he's alright,  Bowie wrote a song about him.

Well the artistic element may be questionable. But it could be argued that at least they avoided the fate that befalls most retired aircraft. The scrap man's torch. 

2 hours ago, Beardie said:

Oh there are many who could go into the pot. A lot of Jackson Pollock's included. It seems to be a 20th/21st century sickness which, I think, stems from the introduction of the camera and the sense that 'art' needs to find something to say that can't be captured by a camera if it's to stay a money spinner. The world is still full of talented craftsmen, painting, sculpting, carving and even, dare I say it, model-making but it doesn't bring in the big bucks. The reality is that, except for a select few, it never did and even then it was usually after they were dead and their work had become 'limited edition'. For every Da Vinci there were thousands of other brilliant artists who never made a living at it and who are unknown now. 

Must admit I'm a fan of Jackson Pollock. Seeing one of his huge canvases in the flesh (so to speak) is quite an experience and he did invent a new technique! There's a very good Oscar nominated biopic of Pollock called with startling originality "Pollock". The film was a labour of love by Ed Harris who directed and starred in it. It's well worth a look and fills in a lot of the background about Pollock the man and how he came to create his art.

Unmade beds and sharks in formaldehyde are the sort of "art" that gets my goat. At least you don't have to look at a buried aeroplane.

I think it's also fair to say that because an artist produces some rubbish it doesn't follow that everything he/she produces is bad. There are also quite a few artists who are having a laugh, Marcel Duchamp and his "Fountain" being one of the best known examples. 

Brian Eno once said that art isn't a thing, it's a process that happens between someone and something. What is art for one person may be rubbish to another. I'm inclined to agree.

I can't say that burying aeroplanes does anything for me, but I'm guessing that some of the art I love would leave most people feeling the same way.

Vive la différence!