This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

@Skodadriver I do agree that Jackson Pollock has something about his work that isn't quite as random as the method would make you think. I can't say his work appeals to me but there is a certain something to it, like there is an image or idea trying to get out. To me art is mastering your materials/tools to the level you personally need, whatever they be and then saying something deep and meaningful, beautiful or entertaining that will last in the minds eye for a long time afterwards. There is a meeting point in there though where technical proficiency balances with 'the message'. You can be a brilliant handler of your medium and dull as ditchwater with what you have to say or you can be 'average' with your medium and produce exhilarating passages.

I think it encompasses all creative processes from music to painting, sculpting, carving, writing, model/diorama making or even blethering on Britmodeller. I guess the key thing is that you have to say something with your work and, above all, it's the thought that counts.

Personally I'm a fan of Dali. A brilliant traditional and intuitive handling of paint on canvas and a totally crazy way of looking at the world colliding in incredible images. I remember, as a very young kid, just staring and staring at Dali paintings and trying to figure out where you could find that incredibly odd and interesting world he painted and, even though I haven't looked at one in some time, I can close my eyes and bring it all back fresh in my mind.

16 hours ago, JohnT said:

Right you lot of philistines stop it now. Everyone pull the unfinished models off the shelf of doom and bury them in the garden and send the photos to the guy and place on Farcebook. That will get the art critics going :wicked:

You should see the artistic masterpieces my dog makes with bones.... :)

I think that there are a lot of "modern art" artists who are taking liberties with what they are passing off as "conceptual art". Pickled calves, a pile of bricks, unmade beds and the one that really got me.......a pile of dirty nappies (diapers for those on the other side of the pond). If that constitutes art, then I could have filled a whole gallery one night after eating a dodgy curry:puke:.

To answer the thread title; no, not art, just waste disposal and a partularly idiotic method at that.

Edited by 3DStewart

This is not art. It's media-savvy, attention-grabbing, pretentious, ridiculous bovine waste-material and is about as useful (actually, I take that back.... bovine waste is good for making roses grow).

I remember an art teacher telling me many years go that modern art can be produced from anything you want, just as long as no-one has produced anything similar. To me, that is a VERY poor criteria to use in judging the merits of a piece of art.  

These modern "artistic" endeavours are about making large amounts of money and becoming famous - nothing more.

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.

5 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

...............actually, I take that back.... bovine waste is good for making roses grow.

Chris. 

Nah Chris, try horse, far superior!

16 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Nah Chris, try horse, far superior!

I'll have to take your word on that one, but thanks for the tip!

Chris. 

Chris tech bit!?!! Bovine is 'cold' doesn't do the plants much good, Equine, is 'warm', e.g. holds heat, so better for plants.

This is brought to you as a public information broadcast...........:wicked:

2 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Chris tech bit!?!! Bovine is 'cold' doesn't do the plants much good, Equine, is 'warm', e.g. holds heat, so better for plants.

This is brought to you as a public information broadcast...........:wicked:

by an expert on the subject

Nah Frank, I bow to your far superior knowledge on the subject.....after all you've had FAR more practice.......:whistle: :kissing2:

14 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Nah Frank, I bow to your far superior knowledge on the subject.....after all you've had FAR more practice.......:whistle: :kissing2:

Nope, never grown a rose in my life! 🌹

Kudos to the OP for originating a potentially very interesting discussion, to which some have replied with interesting points then I read some other replies and realised that had we been in the late 19th Century the impressionists, Van Gogh and others would have been slandered as useless timewasters whose works would have been quickly forgotten (that is how many actually saw them in their days) and really, I see little point in discussing at that level...

Edited by Giorgio N

There is a difference though. The Impressionists, cubists, Van Gogh etc. were doing what they did despite the fact that it wasn't putting bread on the table because they were driven to do it and didn't care what the world thought of them. They were 'reaching' for something and exploring the unknown. They were essentially 'outsider art' where there is a sense that, nowadays, all you need is a gimmick and you are set for life. I mean, does getting someone to bury an old aircraft really and truly say anything to anyone? 

1 hour ago, Beardie said:

I mean, does getting someone to bury an old aircraft really and truly say anything to anyone? 

In the real world if you want an aircraft you have to buy it and if you build a house you have to buy the land so going on those two,yes it means he's got more money than sense....

Every morning, I climb out of a work of art, but SWMBO always ruins it by saying "isn't it about time you made your bed?" When I had a young family, we constantly had a work of art in the utility room, but that was in the days before disposable nappies. Out in the garden, there was another work of art, but I ruined that by turning it into a brick wall. So to me, these people who are fooling the (rich) gullible are not crating art. Admittedly, some of them are artists as can be seen when they produce something with a brush, paint and canvas. But in no way can they be compared to impressionists. They were real artists. They actually produced something that takes talent. Anyone can arrange a pile of house bricks. Although, on the brick theme, I do recall once seeing a pile of bricks that someone had arranged to look like the Gresley A4 Mallard. Now that took skill.

John.

Who's the fool though; the artist for making the minimum effort for the maximum return, or the collector who finances them? If someone were to offer me a large sum of money for a pile of bricks or my unmade bed, I'd be happy to conciser myself an brilliant artist.

These days art is about money, not aesthetics.

Giger was certainly a talented artist and was clearly saying something with his images. Not exactly beautiful or restful images but beautifully executed in what, when he did it, was a unique style and not one that is easy to replicate.

On 09/02/2019 at 13:08, bentwaters81tfw said:

We would have liked that MiG 21 for our collection. The 125 was ex 32 Sqn and pristine until that 'artist' got hold of it. :mental:

It was potentially still flyable, you can find it in the 'Walkaround' section.

I know what I would like to see buried in that hole.

It was in very good condition and did not deserve being buried;

z04.JPG&key=07a23fbf0fe432d9ed19c262a227

Interestingly while they were making it "art" they were pressing various buttons inside and managed to set the EPIRB off much to the annoyance to the Dutch coastguard. 

Julien

1 hour ago, Julien said:

When were computers first used to design aircraft,when they were done on paper with pencil and ruler they are works of art because someone had actually designed it (so somebody's just buried a work of art which was more like art when people could see it).....

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:20 AM, azureglo said:

this piffle is

I went to Art College ,took a couple of years out from aircraft and get it out of my skin …………… The place was leaping with that kind of piffle as you correctly put it. I couldn't get my head 'round most of these "concepts" . When I got to my desk after the previous "conceptualists" had played at being Rodin or Monet it was like a bomb had gone off with sand and other stuff all over it. Their work was like really clever pseudo revolutionary philosophy meets custard pie fight versus cave painting . It's all art of course by definition but some art is actually done by an artist with no axe to grind and needs no explanation.. Ask yourself Do I like it or do I hate it ,it's that simple . Not interested in the artist's agenda . That's just a turn off IMO

Unfortunately I believe that real 'art', like we human beings, is analog in nature where the modern world, and some of it's inhabitants are becoming very much digital. All the quirkiness of the analog world is being phased out in favour of the cold, hard Yes/No world of digital.

One of the reasons that I believe that 'Artificial Intelligence' will never be anything but artificial is because it is based on digital computing which is basically a box full of on/off switches wired cleverly to give what appear to be 'intelligent' responses to inputs where animal intelligence is analog and takes 'leaps of faith' and blind jumps to create and doesn't rely solely on Yes/No but also includes maybe/just maybe/it's worth a try/ I wonder what happens if..../this feels like the right choice and a myriad other possibilities.

3 hours ago, Julien said:

z04.JPG&key=07a23fbf0fe432d9ed19c262a227

Interestingly while they were making it "art" they were pressing various buttons inside and managed to set the EPIRB off much to the annoyance to the Dutch coastguard. 

Julien

Now this I would put in an Art gallery.