Miles Master Magna Models

Avereda

6 minutes ago, Col. said:

This looks as if it could be 'entertaining'. Nice squadron choice by the way :speak_cool:

“For experienced modellers only”, “Not suitable for children”. Entertainment guaranteed.

• Haha 3

On 2/10/2019 at 4:26 PM, mackem01 said:

This will be good. Unusual choice with interesting markings. Always have time for any build of an Eastern European Allied squadron - kudos to them all.

On 2/13/2019 at 7:47 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

Watching this one!  :popcorn:

I have the MkII version from Magna in The Stash, so I'm very interested in this one.

On 2/13/2019 at 10:23 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Two Magna kits in the same GB, now there's something you don't see every day !

Look forward to seeing this one progress

cheers Pat

Pleasing optimism all round, let’s see what’s in the box then. Some nicely detailed resin for the main fuselage and wings;  a one piece cockpit, again nicely detailed; two types of vac-formed canopies (less detailed); white metal propeller and undercarriage parts; decals for the instrument panels; a decent set of instructions.

47103680571_5156d47f79_b.jpg

47103680891_a79d6efcd7_b.jpg

My experience with vac-formed canopies has been unsuccessful thus far so this could be painful, also I may go for painted decal strip for the detail as a bit of an experiment. White metal I know nothing about so any advice will be welcome.

• Like 7

I was given a great tip regarding vacform canopies first fill the inside with Blu-Tack to support the canopy, then with a new blade score along the line you wish to cut. Don't cut through it just keep scoring, eventually it will go through and you can remove the excess.

cheers Pat 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 10:19 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi

Have you had a chance to make a start on this yet, I am hoping to follow you with my Magna Henley.

We are all in this together !

cheers Pat

Indeed, a bit behind schedule but all the resin is off its blocks now. The wings will require a fair bit of surgery and one of the tailplanes is in need of repair. All in all not too bad, it takes a fair bit of nano-sawing to get the wings of the blocks mind you.

40353070783_1a57db0de4_b.jpg

The cockpit looks like it’s going to be a bit of a fiddle so don’t hold your breath for the next update.

John

• Like 6

Good preperation work there John. The effort you've put in at this stage will pay off as your project progresses.

Looks like a good start John. 

You might want to make a couple of spars to strengthen the wing to fuselage joint. Brass rod drilled into each side is the best strategy. 

Use epoxy glue for the main structure and superglue for the white metal. The superglue can be a bit brittle for resin to resin joining. 

HTH

Colin 

On 3/8/2019 at 4:32 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Great start John

I have painted a couple of bits of mine to give the illusion I have actually made a start !

cheers Pat

Cheers Pat, still no paint yet but steady progress here.

On 3/9/2019 at 7:52 AM, Col. said:

Good preperation work there John. The effort you've put in at this stage will pay off as your project progresses.

Thanks, hopefully the prep will pay off

12 hours ago, Colin W said:

Looks like a good start John. 

You might want to make a couple of spars to strengthen the wing to fuselage joint. Brass rod drilled into each side is the best strategy. 

Use epoxy glue for the main structure and superglue for the white metal. The superglue can be a bit brittle for resin to resin joining. 

HTH

Colin 

Thanks for the tip Colin, spars seem to be the sensible way forward - I hadn’t considered epoxy so thanks for that.

A small amount of progress, I’m going to have to build the wing joints up a bit as they got a bit butchered during the removal process. If I do another one of these I don’t think I’d cut the the wings flush from the casting block, it strikes me that the better option would be to cut through the casting block and then trim and sand to fit.

46434917535_be540687c2_b.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about the same stage as you with my Ar-81. I have a very brittle yellowed canopy. I came up with the idea of covering it with Tamiya masking tape. This has made it easier to handle. Now the real problem is gluing it down flush with the sides.

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

I'm about the same stage as you with my Ar-81. I have a very brittle yellowed canopy. I came up with the idea of covering it with Tamiya masking tape. This has made it easier to handle. Now the real problem is gluing it down flush with the sides.

The canopy seems a long way off at the moment. I’ve got as far as prep for primer but I’ve got a short wait until the Alclad primer arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for the primer. In the meantime I’ve had a go at adding some support for the wings.

46791740544_6d0aef86a8_b.jpg

Looks like it might work.

46791740554_f5ae783228_b.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Some haphazard progress to report. I’ve got bored of waiting for the Alclad primer to arrive so I’ve taken the plunge and primed the internals with thinned Mr Surfacer 1500. Then sprayed with Vallejo Grey-Green, then some detail, then dropped on the floor and run over with the office chair. When the swearing stops I’ll attempt repairs.

46889669624_1f7525337e_b.jpg

47560787252_cf25cf00d9_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Cockpit repairs undertaken and repainting has commenced, a remarkably easy fix as it happens. Also had a first bash with metal parts, the prop looks like it’s going to buff up ok.

33745773798_858721928d_b.jpg

33745773968_6630de2463_b.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

A good save with the seat repairs.  I'm impressed by the buffing too - did you use a power tool?

Thanks Cliff, just sandpaper and skinny sanding sticks (Albion Alloys) for the buffing. Now you come to mention it I have got a Black and Decker ‘Dremel’ style tool which I might dig out.

I’m currently waiting for Alclad Primer and Microfiller to arrive from Wonderland but there’s a bit of a delay - are there any alternatives for priming resin?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Avereda said:

Thanks Cliff, just sandpaper and skinny sanding sticks (Albion Alloys) for the buffing. Now you come to mention it I have got a Black and Decker ‘Dremel’ style tool which I might dig out.

I’m currently waiting for Alclad Primer and Microfiller to arrive from Wonderland but there’s a bit of a delay - are there any alternatives for priming resin?

I'm big fan of those Albion Alloys sanding sticks too - although I always seem to wear out the fine grit ones, long before I use up all the coarse ones.  I suppose I should see whether you can buy the different grits separately, rather than just keep buying a mixed bag like I always do!

In my experience any primer will do for resin (Tamiya, Halfords etc. etc.).  The most important thing is to give the resin a good scrub with warm soapy water first (followed by a good rinse), to remove any release agent from the surface.  Thereafter, I've never had any problem with paint adhesion on resin.  Good luck!