Hello from Southampton, Gateway to the World

Quiet Mike

Hello from another middle aged guy rediscovering modelling after a X decades break ...

I'm a Sotonian, moved here from growing up on a farm after studying at art college here in the 90's. Obviously interested in the wealth of aviation heritage around here! I live less than a mile from the old Supermarine Works on the Itchen, and cycle over them every day on the commute to work.

Also a keen cyclist, especially vintage lightweight bikes. I love that aviation and cycling cross over. The famous Southampton bike maker, Rotrax, started in 1945, and most of the frame builders, and the owner Freddie Prince, were recently demobbed RAF fitters. And Jim Guard, another well know cyclist who started his shop in '48, originally worked for Supermarine from the mid 30's as an electrician, and dd the wiring on K5054, and watched her first flight from Eastleigh in 1936. (I own a 1950 Jim Guard, and a 1948 Rotrax. I'm currently commuting on Jim Guards own bike, and get a kick out of knowing the same hands that worked on K5054 also held these handlebar grips I'm now holding ...

I currently spend more time looking at other peoples kits, than I do making my own, but I'm slowing setting up a little work space in the man cave.

39876875802_101d672186_z.jpg

1:72 Supermarine Walrus by Mike, on Flickr

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 3

I visit Calshot a lot over the winter, as my eldest races at the velodrome in the activites centre now there. (For those that don't know, RAF Calshot was a famous RAF seaplane and flying boat station.) The velodrome is inside a massive 1917 flying boat hanger! There is also a 1913 hanger, now called the Sopwith Hanger, which is the second oldest purpose built hanger left surviving in the UK. Hanger F is now called the Schneider Hanger, and was where the RAF High Speed Flight trainied and tested for the Schneider races. So, I am eagerly awaiting the new 1/48 S5 by MircroMir!

46100290292_41cc94fbd7_z.jpg

S.5 at Hanger F, RAF Calshot by Mike, on Flickr

46136059111_1d2ee40e21_z.jpgS.5 at Hanger F, RAF Calshot by Mike, on Flickr

Edited by Quiet Mike
grammar
  • Like 3

Hello Mike, I'm in a similar part of the world. Live near Eastleigh airport, which is great for the occasional glimpse of a Spitfire, which sends me into a frenzy rushing out into the garden. 

I like your pics, very interesting indeed. 

All the best, Martin.

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum - from another relatively new member and former Sotonian (now living in Australia).  I used to go to Calshot often as a kid, so I love those pics too!

All the best,

Matt

On 2/12/2019 at 8:22 PM, nheather said:

My dad was brought up in Bullar Road Bitterne.  I remember the Jim Guard shop near the railway station well when I used to visit my grandparents.

Cheers,

Nigel

I know so many people with Jim Guard memories! I can't believe I had not heard of him before I acquired the bike.

14532523213_3e355fc18d_z.jpg

124 Macnaughton Rd, Jim Guard Cycles by Mike, on Flickr

14602391884_2649d2e926_h.jpg

Jim Guard Cycles article by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 5:22 PM, Martin Ford said:

Hello Mike, I'm in a similar part of the world. Live near Eastleigh airport, which is great for the occasional glimpse of a Spitfire, which sends me into a frenzy rushing out into the garden. 

I like your pics, very interesting indeed. 

All the best, Martin.

Not plastic, but a recent project with the nipper, which I think you'll recocgnise 😉

46193434855_0cb4d78e99_z.jpg

K5054 Guillows build by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 1