Hawker Henley Target Tug 1/72 **FINISHED**

JOCKNEY

This is my Hawker Henley, I originally started a Formaplane Vacform version, then was gifted the Magna Resin one instead, this is the ideal chance to build it.

IMG_3851

Good luck everyone !

cheers Pat :cheers:

• Like 10

I had a dream about one of these things last night! :blink: Except it was in Royal Navy Pacific Fleet colours and had folded wings :hmmm:That'll teach me to lay off the cheese before bed-time.

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Col. said:

I had a dream about one of these things last night! :blink: Except it was in Royal Navy Pacific Fleet colours and had folded wings :hmmm:That'll teach me to lay off the cheese before bed-time.

Well Col, you will have to put it down to Group Build Hypnosis, looks like others share your taste in nighttime cheese  !

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=312.0

Cheers Pat

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, zegeye said:

Ugh... That's wan't be easy build.

Hi zegeye, I don't think I've ever been lucky enough to find an easy build !

Thanks for breaking the bad news to me so gently, if you have wrestled with a Magna kit before, any tips would be really appreciated 

cheers Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies everyone, I have been fighting a Condor in the Maritime GB, so my trainers have all been neglected.

I have done a bit of painting to some of the parts, so will trying to get my finger out and post some pictures.

cheers Pat

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 9:34 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi zegeye, I don't think I've ever been lucky enough to find an easy build !

Thanks for breaking the bad news to me so gently, if you have wrestled with a Magna kit before, any tips would be really appreciated 

cheers Pat

The main thing I found was that the cockpit floor and consoles etc needed a lot of narrowing to allow the fuselage halves to close. Other than that it's not a bad kit. I also used a lot of drilling and plastic rod inserts to help align wing and tail surfaces but other methods like jigs will also work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've seen a beautifully made one on the Magna stand a couple of decades back.  And I've got the main airframe components together without undue difficulty.  Where it has stalled for me (about a decade ago) is cutting out and masking that canopy (which has probably since yellowed anyway).  That really is the stuff of blue-cheese nightmares!

Another one of those aircraft one hopes the likes of Special Hobby might bring out one day: it's at least as deserving a subject as the Bermuda.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Where it has stalled for me (about a decade ago) is cutting out and masking that canopy (which has probably since yellowed anyway). 

The masking is where mine stalled and, yes, the canopy has now yellowed ☹️

Edited by rossm
  • Sad 1

Progress at last

IMG_4357

Got a bit carried away with the red and yellow paint

IMG_4361

Not sure how much if anything I'm going to see when the canopy goes on 

IMG_4362

Just in case you didn't know, it's a Magna kit, it's carved into one of the parts !

IMG_4363

Much swearing and clamping later the fuselage is closed up, apart from all the gaps

IMG_4365

Finally, the front is going to take a lot of work !

IMG_4366

The finish date for this GB seems to be racing towards us, going to be a bit of a struggle to finish !

cheers Pat

• Like 2

Gosh that makes a Pegasus kit look easy by comparison. Mind you, the Henley is a fine looking aeroplane, once you find it somewhere in that lump of resin. Looking forward to more.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Work continues, currently excavating what appears to be the main wheels from a block of resin, this is more like an archeological dig that building a kit. The blob to the right of the recovered wheel is actually a part not part of the scrap resin !

IMG_4367

After much filing scraping and cursing I have attached the wings and tailplane.

IMG_4368

Its starting to look like the pictures at last. I'm glad I took the time with the parts to keep the filling down to a minimum.

IMG_4371

I need to find my blu-tak and a new blade to extract the canopy later, I have to be careful as I have promised the "spare" one to someone with a stalled build.

more later

cheers Pat

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, rossm said:

Coming on well Pat, sure mine had white metal wheels though.

Trust you to go for the posh version :D

PM me your address so I can post the long overdue spare canopy, (then the Jockney clan can have a place to stay when we next come down to Cornwall ! ) Kidding about the invasion !  :offtopic: :coat:

cheers Pat

This is the winch prop which as you can see is going to take some time

IMG_4372

this is the canopy being removed from the rest of the vacform backing. There must have been dirt / grit in the blutac as I have ended up with some scratches on the inside, can you use Klear on vacform plastic ?

IMG_4373

Finally after 2 steps forward we have 1 step back...

This is what happened when your Henley falls off the coffee table and hits a tiled floor !

20190513_164157

I shall try to recover my sense of humour tonight and continue the build

A very Grumpy Pat !

• Sad 4

16 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Finally after 2 steps forward we have 1 step back...

This is what happened when your Henley falls off the coffee table and hits a tiled floor !

I shall try to recover my sense of humour tonight and continue the build

A very Grumpy Pat !

Oh no! 😢

At least it looks like the joints came apart rather than pieces shattering into tiny fragments.

I prescribe generous quantities of amber liquid from your favourite Glen or island 😉 It won't fix the damage but it will help you be more philosophical about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

can you use Klear on vacform plastic ?

Yes Pat, no problem. There was I thinking how good this was looking when I saw the results of your mishap, buggeration! How about trying 5 minute epoxy rather than superglue, a less brittle join should result.

Steve.

• Like 1