Hurricanes (and other planes) in awesome in colour video footage

Stanhauser

This video have been posted by Barry Swinn at facebook group The RAF in Colour in WW2 with this caption:

"WW2 BURMA AND CANADA, a film of the aircraft of ww2,both in the Burmese Theatre and the home front in Canada,all shot in colour during WW2,featuring Hurricanes,Mohawks,Mosquitos,Halifaxes,Liberators,Catalina, Oxfords,Harvards,Beufighters,Blenheims,Lodestar,Daks,Spits,Hudsons,even a wartime High Speed Rescue Launch,a multitude of RAF and RCAF footage,but sadly no sound,I do not think,that this film could be bettered,WARNING its a long film, 1 hour 15 mins long...do enjoy,been in my collection for years,its about time it spread its wings."

I wonder if anybody could confirm if the Hurricanes are Sea Hurricanes, and what unit they belonged to.
Better yet, a source of any serial number of the aircraft portrayed would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Stanhauser
  • Like 8

• Stanhauser changed the title to Hurricanes (and other planes) in awesomse in colour video footage

Hurricanes appear on these intervals:
00:00 to 01:13
01:33 to 01:42
01:46 to 02:32
04:06 to 04:20
09:43 to 10:10
10:56 to 11:28

What's up with this aircraft from 29:32 to 30:02? No spinner, no code letters and I think it has no guns. Is it a trainer?

18 hours ago, Stanhauser said:

What's up with this aircraft from 29:32 to 30:02? No spinner, no code letters and I think it has no guns. Is it a trainer?

Canadian 5635,

http://www.rwrwalker.ca/RCAF_5600_5649_detailed.html

Hawker

Canada Car & Foundry, Fort William

Hurricane

Mk. XII

first date: 25 November 1942 - Taken on strength at Eastern Air Command

First used by No. 1 Operational Training Unit at RCAF Station Bagotville, PQ.  With No. 124 (Ferry) Squadron when it suffered a Category C crash at 14:00 on 24 November 1943 at Ancienne Lorette, PQ.  To stored reserve with EAC on 20 March 1944, back to No. 1 OTU on 10 July 1944.  To stored reserve with No. 3 Training Command on 26 October 1944.  To No. 1 Air Command on 15 January 1945, still in storage.  Pending disposal from 21 April 1945.  Had 433:45 airframe time when struck off.

last date: 6 November 1945 - Struck off, to War Assets Corporation for sale

lack of spinner very common on Canadian based planes,  guns fitted,  just ports and ejector slots slots neatly covered with doped on fabric,  the fresh paint is clearly visible.

also this discusses the other Hurricanes shown

see also for more on Canadian Hurricanes