MiG-15bis Soviet Airforce 59th Air Army Wiener Neustadt West 1955 1/48 - finished!

6 hours ago, Aardvark said:

This clause in the 1974 Regulations

remained unchanged from the 1955 Regulations

. Regulations

of 1955 only in scanned copies in Russian:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_718832_1342849455_rrrsr-srsrsrsr-srjossrrr-2.jpg.html

🤗

B.R.

Serge

Thanks Serge!

My " problem" is that I am doong an aircraft pre 1955! And that I do not have a photo.... ;)

But thanjs for confirming my basic thoughts!

18 hours ago, exdraken said:

Next question....

Red Stars on 6 or 8 positions?

"The main identification mark of the Air Force "five-pointed star" was applied to the wings from the bottom and from above (red enamel A-13 or nitro-enamel red) and from both sides on the vertical tail. Until 1955, the "star" was also deposited on the sides of the rear fuselage.Along the outer contour, the star was bordered with white (A-11 enamel or AP nitro enamel white) or aluminum (AP al nitro enamel), and then red stripes. "Star" when applied to the aircraft should have the largest possible size, but not exceed the established standard sizes"

(See size table by link.)

"The “star” was applied on the wing in such a way that the distance from its center to the end of the wing was 0.1–0.15 span, and from the leading edge of the wing to the top of the “star” - within 50-150 mm. With its lower ends, the “star” (without edging) should not have gone beyond the boundary between the wing and the aileron. On the ailerons allowed to put only edging "stars".

On the vertical fin, the star was located in the center of the fin area below the stabilizer. The ends of the "star" should have been located away from the edges of the fin and rudder at a distance of 50-150 mm."

If 1952 year then "Red Star" in 8 position!

But (!!!!!!) :

18 hours ago, exdraken said:

Just decided, it will 38 RED 

For 1952 as written E.Arsentev :

"The side numbers were additional identifying marks and were applied on both sides of the nose of the fuselage. The planes initially had three-digit numbers (less often four-digit ones, as a rule, Plant No. 153), and with the approval in 1955 of a new order on Air Force insignia, two-digit ones (less often three-digit ones). The numbers on all airplanes that are part of this aviation unit began to be plotted from number 01 and up to the list number of planes in the part and were painted in one color — red, blue or yellow, and were edged with a black stripe 10-15 mm wide. The color was established by the orders of the commanders of aviation connections (the commanders of aviation schools and schools) and determined which part of the aircraft belonged to, and the sequence number determined the belonging to the aviation unit.

The figures had to fit into a conditional rectangle, the upper and lower borders of which were separated from the bypass of the lower and upper parts of the fuselage by 100-250 mm. The width of the figures was 2/3 of their height, and the thickness of the lines that make up the figure is 1/6 of their height. The typical sizes of the figures were established by the “Regulations of the Air Force Identification Marks”: 400, 600, 900, 1200 and 1500 mm."

Resources on Russian with photo & size table:

https://arsenal-info.ru/b/book/1198779448/29

So, Werner

If You MiG-15 before 1955, then - "Red Star" in 8 position &  3 or 4 digital  number.

If You MiG-15 1955 and after, then - "Red Star" in 6 position &  2 or 3 (rare) digital  number.

By regulations Air Forse it turns out.

🤗

B.R.

Serge 

P.S.

Strange but La-9/11, MiG-9 & Yak-15/17/23 have 2 digital number before 1955....probably

between regulations 1943 year & regulations 1955 year was unknown regulations? 🤔

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

So, Werner

If You MiG-15 before 1955, then - "Red Star" in 8 position &  3 or 4 digital  number.

If You MiG-15 1955 and after, then - "Red Star" in 6 position &  2 or 3 (rare) digital  number.

By regulations Air Forse it turns out.

🤗

B.R.

Serge 

P.S.

Strange but La-9/11, MiG-9 & Yak-15/17/23 have 2 digital number before 1955....probably

between regulations 1943 year & regulations 1955 year was unknown regulations? 🤔

Hmmm... thanks!!

Then these photo is either not from Austria, rules were not adheared or....

Still a lot of research necessary...

I have seen photos of 3 digit MiG-15s... but always wondered id they were photoshopped!

59 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Hmmm... thanks!!

Then these photo is either not from Austria, rules were not adheared or....

I also thought about this photo.

This photo MiG-15UTI probably  could have been taken in 1955, ( not in 1953) when new regulations during! See, no "Red Star" on fuselage, only fin, then "Red Star" in 6 position - it's new regulations 1955 year and in 1955 Soviet Air force was in Austria!

MiG-15UTI was not only trainer, it's was also liaison aircraft, for the delivery of various important dispatches, reports or a V.I.P.

As a version, someone could fly in with the inspection to check how the withdrawal of the Soviet military from Austria proceeds?

About P-39. It's old, 2 WW style digital number.

And don't forget:

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

The  Soviet airforce marking and camouflage from 1945 to 1955 is very mysterious. According to the 1943 regulations, all airplanes, including the IL attack aircraft, should be gray ... but what then is this:

0598-01-1-3.jpg

Why green not grey? Mystery....

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

About You MiG-15bis. You can not alter anything in the model and just redo the title:

"MiG-15bis Soviet Airforce 59th Air Army  in Austria  1955 1/48"

😉😎

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Aardvark said:

I also thought about this photo.

This photo MiG-15UTI probably  could have been taken in 1955, ( not in 1953) when new regulations during! See, no "Red Star" on fuselage, only fin, then "Red Star" in 6 position - it's new regulations 1955 year and in 1955 Soviet Air force was in Austria!

And don't forget:

The  Soviet airforce marking and camouflage from 1945 to 1955 is very mysterious. According to the 1943 regulations, all airplanes, including the IL attack aircraft, should be gray ... but what then is this:

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

About You MiG-15bis. You can not alter anything in the model and just redo the title:

"MiG-15bis Soviet Airforce 59th Air Army  in Austria  1955 1/48"

😉😎

hmmm

1955 that would be an option indeed....

then are you sure that before the stars were on 8 positions? I have just red that the 2 stars on the fuselage were replace with 2 wing top mounted ones in 1955 regulation....

specialty_fra_mig-17_page_31.jpg

https://web.ipmsusa3.org/sites/default/files/reviews/famous-russian-aircraft-mikoyan-mig-17/specialty_fra_mig-17_page_31.jpg

and 

http://www.tinfeathers.com/Museum/Airports/Forney/Forney.htm

no idea if these colors are original of course..... on this Museum MiG-17 ;)

very very mysterious indeed :D 

Cheers, Werner

Edited by exdraken

On 4/6/2019 at 12:50 AM, exdraken said:

then are you sure that before the stars were on 8 positions? 

The military and after the war period until the introduction of the Regulations of 1955 is a very difficult period, so 100% confidence in anything can only give high-quality color photos from above, below and on both sides, but this is from the category of unscientific fiction!😁To believe or not to believe the official Regulations and the Order is not a confirmed photo is a private matter for everyone.

As examples. This from officials Order about identification of IL-2  4 Air Army in early 1945:

3621_900.jpg

4013_900.jpg

Thus, at the beginning of 1945, attack aircraft were respectively painted 332 ShAD, 199 ShAD, 196 ShAD, 233 ShAD, 230 ShAD, 260 ShAD.

Resources:

https://igor-valchuk-01.livejournal.com/1957.html

But photo IL-2 with this element identification my unknown.Does it mean that we should not trust this order if there is no photo? Here everyone decides for himself.

The same with the stars in the 8-position. About "stars in the 8-position" quote from book E.Arsentev & L.Krylov "Fighter MiG-15" - Armada #10.  E.Arsentev He is considered the main expert on MiG, which is not surprising because he works in the MiG design bureau, in my opinion he is even the director of the museum MiG.

Strange, but in his book I did not find a photo of the MiG-15 with a red star on top of the wing, despite the fact that he wrote about it in his book. Well, I will ask him what he was guided by when he wrote, I quote literally:

""five-pointed star" was applied to the wings from the bottom and from above"

🤗

On 4/6/2019 at 12:50 AM, exdraken said:

and 

http://www.tinfeathers.com/Museum/Airports/Forney/Forney.htm

no idea if these colors are original of course.....

In my subjective opinion, this coloring is doubtful in terms of the original belonging to the USSR Air Force of the 1950-60s.

Need to look at the stencil  on this aircraft, if they are preserved then can talk about the original color, if not - sorry.

B.R.

Serge

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...