Tornado GR-1A conversion from IDS

Here's my GR-1A that I made from Revell's IDS kit. After market was Eduard PE, Seans wing seals and RAF pylons, Flightpath tanks and pods set and Xtradecal for both markings and stencils.

My subject was ZA373 H from 2 squadron. Here's one or two of the shots  I was using for reference...

H41024x672_zpsf0a7ced4.jpg?w=480&h=480&f

H51024x682_zpsb9144939.jpg?w=480&h=480&f

And after 9 months of grabbing whatever time I could at the weekends and evenings, here's the result...

IMG_20190120_140730

IMG_20190120_140903

IMG_20190120_140947

IMG_20190120_141017

IMG_20190120_141103

IMG_20190120_141154

IMG_20190120_141213

IMG_20190120_141231

IMG_20190120_141311

IMG_20190120_141334

IMG_20190120_141435

IMG_20190120_141502

IMG_20190120_141610

IMG_20190120_141654

IMG_20190120_141821

IMG_20190120_142206

It's not perfect, but it's better than it would've been thanks to the contributions of some BMers who pointed out some noob mistakes on the WIP thread, so big thanks to all of them.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by chrislowe
  • Like 31

Brilliant! Looks amazing in the best colour scheme for Tornados. I was going to post my finished Airfix 1/48 Tornado in similar colours but I'm going to wait a while now because yours will make it look rubbish! 😂

How is the Revell kit to make? I have this one in my stash, probably for 27 sqn markings.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, tweeky said:

Only one issue wrong BRF tags

Ah it's a fair cop! I took these ones from the Eduard Lynx AH-7 Big Ed set.

Thanks for the link. They should be easy enough to replace. 

Edited by chrislowe

very nice Tonka lovely wrap around scheme !

I have the IDS in my stash , deciding on GR1(A) or GR4(A) is tough as I have no real theme for 1/48 models except all are going to be military jet :) ... though every time i see the wrap around scheme it makes me move towards GR1 or GR1A 

• Thanks 1

Nice work - Very nice cockpit and detailing - you deserve due credit for taking on a project like this - I'm certainly not brave enough to! Love the Tornado in these colours. My only (small) criticism would be the silvering on some of the stencil decals. I take it you used microsol? I find it's a good idea to keep brushing on this stuff onto all decals at different stages - wait till they're dry and brush them again. If they look okay, do it again 2-3 times more.  It doesn't take long to do this each time so well worth the effort. The you can then safely seal everything with your clear coat. I've learned this the hard way! 

Other than that, it's a very nice model you can be proud of - you're well on your way ! Can't wait to see the next one! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

I take it you used microsol? I find it's a good idea to keep brushing on this stuff onto all decals at different stages - wait till they're dry and brush them again. If they look okay, do it again 2-3 times more.  It doesn't take long to do this each time so well worth the effort. 

I do indeed use microsol, but not as much as you've suggested. I'll try this method next time, thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

Very nice.

Every time I attempt a wrap round camo I balls it up. Currently working on the Italeri IDS kit and going to try wrap round again but dont know what route to go down to achieve it, what method did you use?

Great result with yours congratulations

Darren

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dashellis said:

what method did you use?

Thanks for the comments. 

I wasn't sure how to approach it at all, but I ended up cutting masks out of A4 paper, using blu tac sausages to raise the mask away from the surface, and trying to airbrush at 90 degrees to the surface. I masked and painted the top and forward fuselage first, then the fin, then finally the underside and rearward fuselage. I did all the grey first and then repeated that process with the green. It took a while, but I was happy with how it turned out.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, chrislowe said:

Thanks for the comments. 

I wasn't sure how to approach it at all, but I ended up cutting masks out of A4 paper, using blu tac sausages to raise the mask away from the surface, and trying to airbrush at 90 degrees to the surface. I masked and painted the top and forward fuselage first, then the fin, then finally the underside and rearward fuselage. I did all the grey first and then repeated that process with the green. It took a while, but I was happy with how it turned out.

Cheers Chris, think I need to try that method next, last time I tried Maskol, never again!!

the only trouble I've had with the sausage method previously is couldn't get the blue tac to stay down, will be trying white tac this time, hopefully all go's well and I'm intending on doing a winter camo trio with a Tonka, Jag and Harrier. Hopefully anyway

Darren

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

I took them to task over the Lynx BigEd set having the wrong RBF tags/Flags in the set. To be fair Eduard did offer to replace then on an exchange basis but I just ordered asset of the UK ones as I've got Anerican jets in the stash that can use them.

Like I said great build, reminds me of Germany and Cottesmore (TTTE plus Visiting Aircraft) 

• Like 1

On 09/02/2019 at 14:10, dashellis said:

Cheers Chris, think I need to try that method next, last time I tried Maskol, never again!!

the only trouble I've had with the sausage method previously is couldn't get the blue tac to stay down, will be trying white tac this time, hopefully all go's well and I'm intending on doing a winter camo trio with a Tonka, Jag and Harrier. Hopefully anyway

Darren

If it's any help, the technique I use is similar, but I use cut up shopping bags stuck to the 'sausages' - you can kind of bend them round to fit weird shapes. 

White-tac is better than Blu as apparently it doesn't leave any grease marks on the paint.

• Thanks 2