1/700 HMS EXETER Falkland 1982

My fellow modellers, good afternoon.

I've starter this old Revell model (Note the price in Italian L'ira, so, bought before the Euro, and in my stash for a lot of time😁😁😁) in order to improve my skills in recreating a better seascape diorama.

32889723948_4ee601c19d_k.jpgIMG_20190113_100952 by Franco Segato, su Flickr

For this reason I've tryed a different approach from what I've used on my first attempt with the 1/700 Pearl Harbour Diorama.

Instead of using the alluminium foil on a foam base, I modelled the foam using the wood stucco and creating the waves pattern.

I've painted the whole base with black and blue, then I applied a coat of gel for the water transparency and finished with some cotton for the bow waves.

The model was built OOB, I have just added some railrings remaining of my previous buildings.

This the final result.

Disclaimer:

Be aware that the pictures were taken on my working bench on evening, with my phone camera.

46089607114_47e374455d_z.jpgIMG_20190120_164240 by Franco Segato, su Flickr

39849301703_13b4068c51_k.jpgIMG_20190120_164320 by Franco Segato, su Flickr

39849302513_278c81590e_z.jpgIMG_20190120_164251 by Franco Segato, su Flickr

46089606604_7d44c58181_z.jpgIMG_20190120_164307 by Franco Segato, su Flickr

39849301703_13b4068c51_k.jpgIMG_20190120_164320 by Franco Segato, su Flickr

39849301033_fbd819a6ac_z.jpgIMG_20190120_164430 by Franco Segato, su Flickr

Thank you for watching, and any suggestion will be appreciated.

Franco

• Like 28

3 hours ago, Wafu said:

Hi Franco,

Nice work, a great setting for this ship.

Unfortunatly HMS Exeter was a Type 42 Destroyer and not a frigate, nice touch with the plaque though.

You are perfectly right!

Thank you very much!

My distraction mistake. 

I'll correct it as soon as I can.

14 hours ago, DAG058 said:

Nice work! 

13 hours ago, longshanks said:

Looks good to me

Kev

Thanks guys for your encouragement!

I'm not very pleased with the final result, expecially on the model building.

It was so old that the decals awfully broke when I placed on warm water.

I had to reconstruct them with much more patience that I originally have!

Consider this as it was an exercise in developing a better seascape.

Other two project are on my bench at the moment, both about the Falkland's war.

See you soon!

20 hours ago, Courageous said:

Great job on a great subject. Sea base also looks the part.

I've just started out with putting my models on to sea bases and I found that http://www.steelnavy.com/WavePatterns.htm was very useful.

Stuart

Thank you Stuart for your tip.

I read It before, and if you are interested in the argoument, let me suggest this two YouTube guide that I found very useful for me:

Ciao.

Franco

• Like 2

5 hours ago, franco1964 said:

You are perfectly right!

Thank you very much!

My distraction mistake. 

I'll correct it as soon as I can.

Franco, it doesn’t distract from being a great model on a realistic base. Superb work.

• Thanks 1

Hi Franco

You might be interested in a photo of HMS Exeter I took in May 1982 a  couple of days before arriving in the Falklands area.  The weather was a bit murky but it shows how the RN Type 42 destroyers were given a black identity stripe on the funnel to distinguish them from the two Argentine ones and also how other markings were painted out.  I seem to remember that Exeter also had a bright blue lower hull rather than black or dark red at that time - there is just a hint of that at the waterline under the forward 1022 radar.  Sorry to have missed showing this earlier - I have only recently looked at this thread!

8acd017e-bd59-4f96-8c16-a9fa97a26553.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Francis Macnaughton said:

I seem to remember that Exeter also had a bright blue lower hull rather than black or dark red at that time.

I remember the sky blue boot topping on the Exeter, I wouldn't like to put a date on it though.

• Thanks 1

From what I’ve read the blue topping was trialled until it’s refit post the conflict when it was reverted to standard finish. Also applies to the fitting of the Phalanx midships by the funnel as well as shown in the photo?

Mike

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mick b said:

From what I’ve read the blue topping was trialled until it’s refit post the conflict when it was reverted to standard finish. Also applies to the fitting of the Phalanx midships by the funnel as well as shown in the photo?

Mike

The story I heard was it was excellent anti fouling paint but was rejected because the powers that be didn't like the colour. 😂

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, bootneck said:

which ship did you take the photo from?

HMS Ambuscade - we went south from Ascension in company with Antelope but had to slow down after heavy weather forced Ambuscade to delay a refueling but Antelope had already topped up and went on ahead and was sent to San Carlos.   Exeter passed us around that stage.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Francis Macnaughton said:

Hi Franco

You might be interested in a photo of HMS Exeter I took in May 1982 a  couple of days before arriving in the Falklands area.  The weather was a bit murky but it shows how the RN Type 42 destroyers were given a black identity stripe on the funnel to distinguish them from the two Argentine ones and also how other markings were painted out.  I seem to remember that Exeter also had a bright blue lower hull rather than black or dark red at that time - there is just a hint of that at the waterline under the forward 1022 radar.  Sorry to have missed showing this earlier - I have only recently looked at this thread!

8acd017e-bd59-4f96-8c16-a9fa97a26553.jpg

Thank you Francis for your tip, really interesting.

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

Hi Francis,

which ship did you take the photo from?

Mike

2 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

I remember the sky blue boot topping on the Exeter, I wouldn't like to put a date on it though.

2 hours ago, mick b said:

Mike

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

The story I heard was it was excellent anti fouling paint but was rejected because the powers that be didn't like the colour. 😂

1 hour ago, Francis Macnaughton said:

HMS Ambuscade - we went south from Ascension in company with Antelope but had to slow down after heavy weather forced Ambuscade to delay a refueling but Antelope had already topped up and went on ahead and was sent to San Carlos.   Exeter passed us around that stage.

Thank you all for this interesting conversation.

I've painted my model referring on what I found on internet from what I thought were pictures taken during the Falkland war, that were mostly on black and white, and I trusted mostly the kit instructions, wrongly.

Francis is right in what he said.

I found this interesting video and although some pictures on this video were more recent, at minutes 4:15 there is a pictures taken from HMS CARDIFF returning Home, that shows exactly what Francis said.

Thank you very much to all of you for this interesting in-depth research.

If it will be still possible I'll try to correct it tomorrow.

I'll let you know.

Cheerio!

Franco

• Like 2

As far as I know the only remaining RN ships which served in the Falklands are HMS Bristol and HMS Hermes.

HMS Bristol is now a training ship moored in Portsmouth Harbour longside HMS Excellent on Whale Island - she is visible on Google Earth opposite the ferry port at Portsmouth.  She is in permanent moorings and is expected to survive until the mid 2020s having had a refit in 2010.  Although in good condition she is a shadow of her old self with all armament gone, masts removed and engines incapacitated.   She is used by many groups - youth service groups, cadets, initial RN trainees - even by teams of NHS Hazardous Area Response Teams paramedics training to operate on board commercial ships in an emergency situation.

HMS Hermes went to the Indian Navy (1987?) and is now not in commission - there was talk of turning her in to a museum ship or similar.

• Thanks 1

Agree with what others have said Franco - a beautiful representation of EXETER and a really lovely seascape.  I've been doing seascapes for my ship models for the past 15 years and that's far better than any of mine, especially the bowwave.

It's a shame that there are so many differences between the kit and how she appeared in 82.  Phalanx came into the RN as a direct response to our experience with Exocet - I think I'm right in saying that no ships in the 82 Task Group were so fitted.  Instead of that, the 42s had a Cheverton and Whaler fitted either side of the funnel (and no sponsons/sponson supports).  That meant that the Sea Rider RIB and associated crane alongside the main mast was also not present in 82.  I seem to remember that they had Corvus chaff launchers there.  Pennant numbers on all ships were painted out and funnel badges removed.

The other thing to point out is that the red Sea Dart are drill missiles only.  Warshots were white and only ever appeared on the rails a few seconds before launch.  I seem to remember that you had 30 seconds.  Either they had to be fired in that time or struck back down to the deep magazine.

But those comments should in no way detract from what is a superb model.

• Thanks 1

Hi Franco,

as others have mentioned, the kit you have is for a later period, post-Falklands, but that does not detract from how nice your model and sea base is.  I would recommend you just remove the plaque and make a replacement with one that does not refer to the Falklands in 1982.  That would make it a display to be proud of.

Mike

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Agree with what others have said Franco - a beautiful representation of EXETER and a really lovely seascape.  I've been doing seascapes for my ship models for the past 15 years and that's far better than any of mine, especially the bowwave.

It's a shame that there are so many differences between the kit and how she appeared in 82.  Phalanx came into the RN as a direct response to our experience with Exocet - I think I'm right in saying that no ships in the 82 Task Group were so fitted.  Instead of that, the 42s had a Cheverton and Whaler fitted either side of the funnel (and no sponsons/sponson supports).  That meant that the Sea Rider RIB and associated crane alongside the main mast was also not present in 82.  I seem to remember that they had Corvus chaff launchers there.  Pennant numbers on all ships were painted out and funnel badges removed.

The other thing to point out is that the red Sea Dart are drill missiles only.  Warshots were white and only ever appeared on the rails a few seconds before launch.  I seem to remember that you had 30 seconds.  Either they had to be fired in that time or struck back down to the deep magazine.

But those comments should in no way detract from what is a superb model.

19 hours ago, bootneck said:

Hi Franco,

as others have mentioned, the kit you have is for a later period, post-Falklands, but that does not detract from how nice your model and sea base is.  I would recommend you just remove the plaque and make a replacement with one that does not refer to the Falklands in 1982.  That would make it a display to be proud of.

Mike

Thank you guys for your point of view,

I really appreciate it.

I'll grab the Mike's suggestion, replacing the plaque with a more general HMS Exeter on navigation, but do you think I have also to remove the black band on the funnel too?

I think it was used during the Falkland war in order to recognise from the Argentinian type 42 destroyer in their possession...