Italeri IT2792 Spitfire Mk.I 1:48

NPL

Saw this announced by Hannants today. Don't think that Italeri has before had a Mk.I. Could it be Airfix's as this has been 'deleted from their program for a year?

I gues that Italeri is not so stupid that they will reissue Tamiya's old one ... but you never know.

fine, and I reread your earlier thread, but my question was really about the origin of this kit. Airfix would be the most likely but have they traded with Airfix before?

• Like 1

Yes Airfix have traded with Italeri before - they released the Italeri Horsa if memory served and also their C-47/DC3? 

I doubt Tamiya have pinged their old moulds to Italeri as they would be allowing them to complete with their own newly released product....but stranger things have happened! 

TT

There are two different Airfix Spitfire Mk.I kits and now two different Tamiya kits of the Mk.I. There is also the now ancient Revell Mk.II, which I suppose could be passed off as a Mk.I to the unwary although it only has the domed Rotol spinner. Revell did at one point release it as a Mk.I with metal parts providing the correct prop and spinner.

If I had to guess, I would say that, most likely, this is the newer Airfix tooling, but you can't rule out a completely new kit either.

People always complain about manufacturers doing new Spitfire kits, so it was actually surprising to me to realise that there hadn't been a genuine Mk.I in 1/48 until that first Tamiya tooling in '93 or '94 and Airfix is the only other company to kit this subject.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

There are two different Airfix Spitfire Mk.I kits and now two different Tamiya kits of the Mk.I. There is also the now ancient Revell Mk.II, which I suppose could be passed off as a Mk.I to the unwary although it only has the domed Rotol spinner. Revell did at one point release it as a Mk.I with metal parts providing the correct prop and spinner.

If I had to guess, I would say that, most likely, this is the newer Airfix tooling, but you can't rule out a completely new kit either.

People always complain about manufacturers doing new Spitfire kits, so it was actually surprising to me to realise that there hadn't been a genuine Mk.I in 1/48 until that first Tamiya tooling in '93 or '94 and Airfix is the only other company to kit this subject.

Definitely the Spitfire (and Hurricane) won the BoB, but the Bf109 has won the war in plastic. Fewer new Spitfire kits compared to the Bf 109. Hannants' list covering the Spitfire in all scales run to 67 pages, the Bf109 pages run to 72!

On 2/8/2019 at 3:18 PM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Yes Airfix have traded with Italeri before - they released the Italeri Horsa if memory served and also their C-47/DC3? 

I doubt Tamiya have pinged their old moulds to Italeri as they would be allowing them to complete with their own newly released product....but stranger things have happened! 

TT

Tamiya do rebox italeri kits for the Japanese market on a regular basis so the companies do have an existing relationship, it would re interesting to see if tamiya would allow kits from a obsolete mold to be marketed in europe under the Italeri brand

1 hour ago, gavingav said:

Tamiya do rebox italeri kits for the Japanese market on a regular basis so the companies do have an existing relationship, it would re interesting to see if tamiya would allow kits from a obsolete mold to be marketed in europe under the Italeri brand

That would be crazy, to market an old kit via another label as a competitor to your own new kit. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NPL said:

That would be crazy, to market an old kit via another label as a competitor to your own new kit. 

Not necessarily, if the bean counters think the cost of tooling sale is more than any loss of sale the marketing depart estimates the competition would siphon off it makes sense 

• Like 1

I believe that Italeri does not have a distributor in Asia or the USA, hence the reason that Tamiya reboxed some of their products for those markets. Therefore Tamiya may not see an Italeri reboxing of one of their discontinued items as much of a competitor for their new kit -particularly if they negotiated a good deal for the licence.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 9:03 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

Not necessarily, if the bean counters think the cost of tooling sale is more than any loss of sale the marketing depart estimates the competition would siphon off it makes sense 

Of course you could say that it would mark off the difference between Tamiya and other companies. Tamiya makes the marvelous new stuff -- highest quality -- other companies are satisfied with secondary quality. That would be in accordance with the philosophy of Mr. Tamiya.

OK, we will see.

Edited by NPL
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

I believe that Italeri does not have a distributor in Asia or the USA, hence the reason that Tamiya reboxed some of their products for those markets. Therefore Tamiya may not see an Italeri reboxing of one of their discontinued items as much of a competitor for their new kit -particularly if they negotiated a good deal for the licence.

Italeri have always had distributors in the US, Testors for many years and currently it's MRC. They also have several distributors in Asian countries.

Italeri kits reboxed by Tamiya are supposed to be Japan issue only, but they can be found in other markets like the US or Australia. Some arrive in Europe too, I've seen several in Switzerland (but at prices that make them not competitive with Italeri's own issues).

My understanding is that Tamiya see the deal as a way to be present in the lower end of the home market, as these kits in Japan are sold pretty cheap. In the meantime they can focus on their own superior kits. For Italeri this is of course a good way to get constant income. I've also seen Italeri kits in Japan, but these were generally kits that Tamiya didn't rebox. Interestingly Italeri mentions two distributors in Japan: one, not surprisingly, is Tamiya itself. The other is Platz

• Like 1

• 1 year later...