Spitfire exhausts: rounded or fishtail for MK IX ML214 "5J.K"

Richard502

The rationale is whatever the aircraft was fitted with at the time you choose to model it.  For which knowledge a photo is your best source.  Failing that photos of other aircraft of the same unit or with close serials.  From a quick look in Spitfire the History I'd say that this serial was close to the cusp of the change - several views of MKxxx Spitfires show the fishtails whereas NHxxx seem to have the tubular - at least at the time the photos were taken.  The views in this book of MLxxx aircraft all show the fishtails but are postwar, so not completely reliable for this detail.  Other people may have other books handy.

I have not seen any date/serial for the introduction of the tubular exhausts, but I presume that they could well have been fitted to any aircraft whatever its original build standard - or perhaps whatever its original engine.

Edited by Graham Boak

If I remember right, it is John Plagis' spitfire. 

The plane is very elusive. Mostly you only see the famous 'kay' inscription.

This may be the best but not really og much help: 

Plagis-colorized

Other fotos can be found on fundecals instructions for their decals for Plagis planes. You can download the instructions with the photos via their homepage.

It seems that all photos of this units Mk. IX's have fichtale exhausts.

All wartime pictures I've seen of ML serialled Mk.IXs had fishtail exhausts, i'd go with these

Never seen a clear picture showing the exhausts of ML214, I've seen a picture of ML215 after been shot down and unfortunately the exhausts aren't clearly visible either.

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

I think that this photo is a Mk.V.

Could be but then look for the fotos in Fun decals instructioons which also confirms Giorgio's idea. As I wrote, freely available from the ionternet.

Yes, that photo is a V, probably the airframe serialled BR329 (though I have seen some sources claim it was wrongly serialled and was actually BR321) on Malta. The fact that the colouriser has just left the fuselage in black and white is not helpful. As usual, colourised photographs are a menace.

Edited by Work In Progress