1/144 - Convair CV-340 & C-131 Samaritan by Roden - CV-340 released - new Caracal Models decals sheet

Homebee

• 4 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

New Caracal models dedicated decals - ref. CD144022 - Convair C-131 Samaritan

Source: http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd144022.html

The options on this decal sheet are:

• JC-131B Samaritan 53-7791, Wright Air Development Center - USAF
  • C-131A Samaritan 52-5801, 1st Aeromedical Transport Group (Light), MATS
  • C-131D Samaritan 54-2809, Massachusetts ANG
  • C-131B Samaritan 53-7814, New Mexico ANG
  • C-131B Samaritan 53-7811, Texas ANG
  • C-131F Samaritan BuNo. 141023, NAF Mildenhall, US Navy

cd144022profiles.jpg

cd144022tn.jpg

V.P.

Not my subject any more but the aeromedical one reminds me of my ATC camp to Bicester in 1971. I was in a Chipmunk and we did some touch and go's at Upper Heyford and recall seeing one of these Convairs waiting for us to clear the approach at the runway end with F-111s waiting behind him too.

• 1 year later...
On 10/31/2019 at 6:22 AM, 71chally said:

In 72nd I would have been all over this.

That makes two of us and I don't think it'd be too big in 1/48 scale.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sinistervampire319 said:

I know the 340 is. But the C-131 is based off the 240.

My point exactly. The 240 shared the exhaust of the early 340, a round tubular affair as compared to the later slot found on the Roden kit. Discovered all this while relishing the prospect of using the Caracal C-131 decals on the Roden kit. Ended up ordering a Welsh 240. The slot exhaust supposedly reduced cabin noise. My first flight was in a DC-6. Cabin noise was an issue in those days.

9 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

My point exactly. The 240 shared the exhaust of the early 340, a round tubular affair as compared to the later slot found on the Roden kit. Discovered all this while relishing the prospect of using the Caracal C-131 decals on the Roden kit. Ended up ordering a Welsh 240. The slot exhaust supposedly reduced cabin noise. My first flight was in a DC-6. Cabin noise was an issue in those days.

From what I have read up on. In my limited knowledge of these Convair's. The C-131's have the rectangular exhausts as the 340's do but are based more on the 240's in length I think. N55VM was a -240 but converted to a -300 and has the rectangular exhausts. It also says the -300 uses the 340 cowlings and has a pointy nose.  
Omg! This is confusing! 
I think when they come out with the -131 I will make a pointy nose for it and the decals and call it good. :nodding:

10 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

Btw. You are referring to the exhausts for the early -240 in this photo.
spacer.png

The later exhaust as here.

http://aircraftwalkaround.hobbyvista.com/c131/eng_p_r.jpg