Arado Ar 95w Floatplane

Courageous

Hi Helpers.

Just taken receipt of the MPM 1/72 offering of this aircraft type and have a couple of questions.

Arado_AR-95_D-ODGY.jpg

I want to model this.

• I have seen a number of images of the type and although I'm pretty convinced that the floats and its struts are aluminium, what about the main airframe? Was it aluminium, silver, grey...?
  • The tail band I know is red but what about the horizontal line running fore-aft?
  • What's the emblem on the front fuselage?
  • Any clues as to what the torpedo is?

Stuart

• Like 2

Hello Stuart

Ar 95 was all metal aircraft so fuselage and the rest of the plane would probably be silver with red horizontal stripe. Colour profile of the aircraft here also suggests red cowl flaps. Emblem on the nose is Arado factory badge and can be seen here however its colours may vary significantly (white, blue or black drawing lines, company name in white, red, blue or black). Unfortunately, I have no idea about torpedo type. Cheers

Jure

Thanks for the quick response Jure.

When you say silver, do you mean a silver paint or natural metal? I have seen the colour profiles but I like to support them with other reference. I tend to agree and think that it is a red stripe, cowl as it's the same shade as the tail band. Arado emblem sounds and looks right.

As for the torpedo, http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WTGER_WWII.php seem to show only one 'dropping' torpedo, an 45cm F5.

Stuart

Paint coat looks too uniform for NM finish, in my opinion. D-ODGY on your picture looks very similar to six silver Arados, exported to Chile (photo found here).

4287425a1cc4da8bf7942a51a1f9af91o.jpg

That said, there are several photos of D-ODGY here which show this particular Arado apparently in light grey finish. However, different style and length of fuselage stripe, company logo at 90° compared to the photo above and different cowling colour pattern suggest a repaint. Polished light grey cannot be excluded, but I would stick with silver. Early Luftwaffe colours (with DLH and export colours thrown in for a good measure) are no less treacherous than late-war RLM 81/82/83 quagmire ...

Yes, F5 torpedo sounds like a good candidate. Article in Avions magazine suggests 700 kg torpedo for Ar 95, which is reasonably close to 733 kg, given on NavWeaps website. According to the same website other such weapons in German service were at least twice as heavy. Cheers

Jure

• Like 2

The airframe was finished in silver 01; the float planing surfaces were finished in a  black anti-fouling  lacquer,, with the silver-painted floats being painted with  clear lacquer 00 as an anti-corrosion measure, as stated in the Monogram, Kookaburra, and Merrick  camouflage and markings reference publications. That's going to be a distinctive color scheme you have chosen- can't wait to hear how the kit goes together, as I have one in the stash.

Mike

• Like 1

The strip on fuselage looks on photo to have outlines, on profile it is all red.

I did this model few years ago and as far as I remember there ws small problem with cabane struts- they were too long (maybe main ones also - I do not remember it exactly) simply the upper wing to fuselage distance wass too big. So check it...

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like the consensus is silver overall with black float undersides. Tail band, fuselage stripe and cowl flaps being red.

Just noticed the spinner, it's in full sun and nothing like the fuselage  colour, maybe red?

Stuart

14 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

Could it be in that base RLM 02 or 63 Grey?

You might be right. The 'red' paintwork is different on the cowling. Not sure if that's the Arado logo near cowling? Still don't know what the spinner colour is...red/ black? I still like the first photo as it includes a torpedo which would be a nice added feature.

Stuart

• Like 1

Not best quality, but there is a video clip here with D-ODGY having the torpedo mounted and tested.  It only describes it as being 800kg weight, and the airframe itself was the third prototype.

http://fandavion.free.fr/arado95.htm

A possible colour for the prop hub being black green?

https://elpoderdelasgalaxias.wordpress.com/2017/02/14/arado-ar-95l-tears-me-apart/

16730163_1554299514597361_15905560754119

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JackG said:

torpedo

As far as I can tell, their was only the one aerial torpedo at that available for trials, that being the 45cm F5 and weighed 737kg, below the 800kg limit. Good enough for me. The photo clearly shows D-ODGY carrying a torpedo, does that make D-ODGY the third prototype? As for spinner colour...

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...