1/72 Airfix C-47 D-Day with Foxbot Decals, Completed

DJJunis

Good Day All,

Just getting ready to start this group build. I'll be doing a D-Day machine using decal from a company I never used before called Foxbot. The decals are on their way from Hannants along with the Eduard

mask. Foxbot have some very interesting nose arts. Other than that I am thinking about putting the tow assembly on the tail and possibly some battle damage....we'll see how it goes.

In any case here are the obligatory starting point pics. So far all that has been done is the kit has been washed with

dish soap to get the mold release off and help with paint adhesion. 

All the Best!

Don

snnDB59.jpg

Rz2hRsX.jpg

hE8g1UI.png

PtxyTut.jpg

NEVzlY4.jpg

Edited by DJJunis
Revised Title
  • Like 6

All,

Here's a few WIP pictures. The only thing I added was the seat belts from masking tape and various levers on the console. The one thing I have learned over the years is to check the fit of doors, windows etc and install them early in the assembly so you can fiddle with them easier...especially when the instructions tell you to put them on late in the assembly. I did that for all the doors, the two cockpit side windows and the wing fillets. I am glad I did quite a bit of fiddling was required and it is so much easier when the fuselage is not buttoned up. Even with that there is still some filling and rescribing required. In any case enjoy the pics...any comments or questions are appreciated. 

All the Best!

Don

28VhrN2.jpg

DgLBDA0.jpg

Sorry for these next two being a bit fuzzy. I guess auto focused was looking somewhere's else LOL!

GgQiRJb.jpg

ccikPBQ.jpg

AByfMAU.jpg

ete2zst.jpg

clKaTTy.jpg

• Like 7

Good Day All,

Made some progress on my D-Day C-47. On my example I had some troublesome fit issues. The tail cone on the fuselage was really poor. The part was very much over sized compared to the fuselage mating point. This is very difficult to clean-up and rescribe. I'm still working on that to get it the way I would like it. The joint where the bottom wing meets the fuselage at the front  and rear took quite a bit to look right and blend the fuselage in, The panel lines on the top of the fuselage did not line up so some filling with CA , sanding and rescribing were required. I trimmed the wing spar and removed some of the interior of the lower wing to get the wing top and bottom to fit together.  The top wing to fuselage joint needs attention and you have to be careful to not remove the details. I think  if I were to do one again I would definitely mount the upper wing  to the fillet and make sure it is cured before proceeding. As I said this is what I have encountered and I have not read about any of these types of issues from reviews I read so maybe I got one done on Friday after lunch! LOL!  In any case here are the pics. Enjoy. As always any comments are appreciated.

All the Best!

Don

Sjjerfs.jpg

QZAwH73.jpg

WbkONYG.jpg

sWqS8Xo.jpg

b5EtSeu.jpg

CNgrk6g.jpg

VBje1EN.jpg

9JPI5LP.jpg

1kjTaTO.jpg

K5SvHDu.jpg

1KRnm9W.jpg

sLpM8p1.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Don

Very good progresses despite the fits problems  ( I faced the same ones with the tail cone .).

Patrice

Good Evening Patrice,

Thank you very much. 

I was thinking of putting the tow attachment on when I first started but then I abandoned the idea. Probably should have done that to eliminate the cone problem. Oh well.

Thank you for running this group build....very much appreciated.

All the Best!

Don

• Like 1

Good Day All,

Well here's another update. Have all the clear parts on. Fit is pretty good. I needed to trim the windscreen a touch to fit it then a little after it was solidly in place. Any filling was done with Gator Grip glue. The same for the leading edge landing lights. All the panel lines I lost via sanding have been restored. I added the engines and cowls..only the intakes on top are needed. Fit was very good...you have to use both hands to get the cowls together...a little tricky but looks good once done. I shot some primer on the troublesome areas and they look good so next will be a full prime and final clean-up prior to color. One thing to be aware of is that the clears parts on my example we brittle.  Be careful taking them off the sprues as I notice hairline cracks just by sawing them off. Barely noticeable but if you get to close with snippers it may cause more problems. Enjoy the pics.

All the Best!

Don

Gax4ds8.jpg

0R0Ye0C.jpg

JKUXnkT.jpg

9AW1xXD.jpg

bQ5du3p.jpg

3FfgbTF.jpg

8bMAn0n.jpg

vuX2F0p.jpg

RPNrrj0.jpg

• Like 3

Hello Don did you had the hairline  cracks  on the cabinwindows?  Because i had this on my first four dakota’s that i bought and in my case i allready saw this wile they were at the runners ....Airfix did send me new ones ...so  not a case of your own doing...

I saw that you had installed the tailcone, the C-47s didn’t had these fitted instead on that position there was a hook/carabiner fitted for towing gliders ..http://www.airbornetroopcarrier.com/troop carrier planes and gear.html

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Hello Don did you had the hairline  cracks  on the cabinwindows?  Because i had this on my first four dakota’s that i bought and in my case i allready saw this wile they were at the runners ....Airfix did send me new ones ...so  not a case of your own doing...

I saw that you had installed the tailcone, the C-47s didn’t had these fitted instead on that position there was a hook/carabiner fitted for towing gliders ..http://www.airbornetroopcarrier.com/troop carrier planes and gear.html

cheers, Jan

Jan,

Thanks for the info on the tailcone. I did not know that all the troop carriers had them left off....good to know and thanks again for that. It was actually my intention to put the tow assembly on the tail but I frankly got frustrated with the Airfix kit and decided to just build it per the instructions and get it done. I was disappointed with the lack of many of the panel lines which gives the C_47 a certain character. The fit of several of the parts, including that infamous tail cone,  was rather frustrating which also worked on my enthusiasm for the project. Well we're reaching the end.

All the Best!

Don

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Jan,

Thanks for the info on the tailcone. I did not know that all the troop carriers had them left off....good to know and thanks again for that. It was actually my intention to put the tow assembly on the tail but I frankly got frustrated with the Airfix kit and decided to just build it per the instructions and get it done. I was disappointed with the lack of many of the panel lines which gives the C_47 a certain character. The fit of several of the parts, including that infamous tail cone,  was rather frustrating which also worked on my enthusiasm for the project. Well we're reaching the end.

All the Best!

Don

No need to get frustrated as it is still shapewise the best kit in production and you are doing a good job on it...

Love to see yours finished...

I just once build a Esci AC47 and had 14 Italeri kits that never got build as they weren’t on par  in shapewise...

The Esci was underscaled but nevertheless very appealing to the eye, but the Airfix stole my heart.

As i said you are doing great job on it an carry on 😉

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Jan,

All the Best!

Don

Hi Don I think you are doing a great job on this.

I tried building this kit on my recent return to modelling and had the same wing fit etc issues as you.

However you’ve made all the door fitments and all fitting in fact look so perfect and that cockpit glazing - i found so difficult - but you’ve made it look perfect and i think that’s really difficult. Mine didn’t look half this good. Nice job! 👍 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, janneman36 said:

No need to get frustrated as it is still shapewise the best kit in production and you are doing a good job on it...

Love to see yours finished...

I just once build a Esci AC47 and had 14 Italeri kits that never got build as they weren’t on par  in shapewise...

The Esci was underscaled but nevertheless very appealing to the eye, but the Airfix stole my heart.

As i said you are doing great job on it an carry on 😉

cheers, Jan

Thank you Jan..much appreciated. It will be finished. It will actually be my second C-47...the other is the Monogram kit from several years back...I used to build all 1/48 but it just got too big for my hobby area.

Thanks again..Don

6 hours ago, Dansk said:

Hi Don I think you are doing a great job on this.

I tried building this kit on my recent return to modelling and had the same wing fit etc issues as you.

However you’ve made all the door fitments and all fitting in fact look so perfect and that cockpit glazing - i found so difficult - but you’ve made it look perfect and i think that’s really difficult. Mine didn’t look half this good. Nice job! 👍 

Paul..thank you so much. I've learned my lesson on all kits with this multi part wing assembly. I try to eliminate the unknowns by differing from the instructions and cement some parts on the when possible.

On this kit it was one rule...dry fit everything...trimming was essential ... on the doors the fit was poor so I cemented them on the fuselage BEFORE putting the fuselage together so I could adjust the fit. It would be very difficult in my mind to do this with the fuselage together.  This kit was probably not the best one to come to to the hobby on...LOL!  Thanks again for you kind comments! All the best! Don

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 10:24 AM, janneman36 said:

I'm up to that stage too, and note that this page says about the aerotow release (if they called it that back then) "The back part could be removed to get access to this mechanism. "  So, that would imply that it's OK to install the tail cone as per the Airfix instructions (unless you want to display it with a Horsa hooked up of course!).  I'm happy to be proven wrong as I'm not a Dakota expert.

And I second everyone's comments, your Dakota is looking great!

Matt

• Like 2

@GliderGuider in reality C47s were never fitted or delivered with this tailcone ...if you see one with a cone it is always a a ex prewar airliner impressed to serve the military.

Even after the war you didn’t see many military  aircraft fitted with those..

Maybe they are referring to the canvas that was put over it as in the picture there is no canvas over it while it should be there..

Even the Dart Dakota i am building had a canvas cover fitted as it was ex military, only later on when reverted to passenger use it was fitted with a tailcone ..

That aside i have seen many scale model builds fitted with one as most of the people really won’t notice it when they are on..

@GliderGuider i wrote at at the the above that they were never delivered with the cone and i stand corrected as this wasn’t always the case as i came across some pictures that had the cone fitted..

https://static.thisdayinaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/tdia//2016/12/147011.jpg

Must confess i have seen these before but the info sinks into the darkside of your brain when not used...

Cheers, Jan 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, janneman36 said:

@GliderGuider in reality C47s were never fitted or delivered with this tailcone ...if you see one with a cone it is always a a ex prewar airliner impressed to serve the military.

Even after the war you didn’t see many military  aircraft fitted with those..

Maybe they are referring to the canvas that was put over it as in the picture there is no canvas over it while it should be there..

Even the Dart Dakota i am building had a canvas cover fitted as it was ex military, only later on when reverted to passenger use it was fitted with a tailcone ..

That aside i have seen many scale model builds fitted with one as most of the people really won’t notice it when they are on..

@GliderGuider i wrote at at the the above that they were never delivered with the cone and i stand corrected as this wasn’t always the case as i came across some pictures that had the cone fitted..

https://static.thisdayinaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/tdia//2016/12/147011.jpg

Must confess i have seen these before but the info sinks into the darkside of your brain when not used...

Cheers, Jan 

Thanks for that Jan! That makes sense that it was often a canvas cover rather than the tail cone, but it also makes sense that there are some exceptions. 

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 2

Hi Don ,

st mere eglise is a must do when you are over there, i have been there two years ago and i liked it a lot!

Going there this year to attend the 75 years memorial event daksovernormandy almost 40 Dakota’s will be attending if they all make the crossing😁

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

10 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Hi Don ,

st mere eglise is a must do when you are over there, i have been there two years ago and i liked it a lot!

Going there this year to attend the 75 years memorial event daksovernormandy almost 40 Dakota’s will be attending if they all make the crossing😁

cheers, Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks sounds like a dream trip.

Normandy was on my bucket list since I was a little boy.  So when we went to France in 2014 ,on a river cruise down the Seine, we made sure it included at least a day in the Normandy area. It was extremely moving...especially the cemeteries.  This year we are going to be in France. We will be in Paris for three days then down the Rhone for 8 days from Lyon to Marseilles. It follows the path of Operation Dragoon to a certain degree. It's a two fold trip...my wife loves to bake and I love WWII history so what could be better than a vacation in Provence or France in general. LOL! I try to tie WWII history into most of our vacations..especially the ones to Europe.  I can't always get away with it...the wife is suspicious now...after 31 years of marriage she found me out. LOL! Two years ago we went we did a river cruise down the Rhine...starting in Amsterdam...well of course I had to go to Arnhem while in Amsterdam...one of the highlights was my wife taking a picture of me on the John Frost Bridge. Next year we are planning to be in Eindhoven for the World Model Expo....I hoping to get to Nijmegen on that trip. It's great to be retired!

All the Best!

Don

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That all sounds really great Don enjoy your retirement to the max if you can..

My girl also raises an eyebrow when i talk about certain destinations in my own  familiar manner 😂

all the best too you as well, Jan

• Like 1