PWJ

IMG_20190207_1417288~2

IMG_20190207_1416289~2

IMG_20190207_1415561~2

IMG_20190207_1416589~2

IMG_20190207_1418102~2

IMG_20190207_1419185~2

AMP 1/48 Bristol Sycamore RAAF

This is the recently released AMP 1/48 Bristol Sycamore built as an early Australian bird during operations in Woomera. Well this is somewhat of a record for me – a relatively new kit, built almost OOB including kit decals and finished in less than 5 years!

Generally the AMP kit is nicely detailed with options for various versions. The kit includes a small etched fret with finer details. A comment, the plastic is very brittle and some of the smaller parts were broken and subsequently replaced with wire and plastic card.

AMP is to be commended for providing a nice rendition of an important subject and it makes an interesting addition to the collection. Overall an enjoyable build with my only comment being to take your time and dry fit and dry fit some more. The glazing nose structure requires careful assembly and I used 5 minute epoxy and tape to get a reasonable fit.

Cheers and regards,

PJ

• Like 55
  • Thanks 1

hi ALL ,

have one of these new vintage Chopper A/C Kits wingin' it's way to me currently.

Any time I need to source more detail I can motor over to Moorabbin Air Museum and check their Aircraft out on display

It was a bit tatty when I saw it last (years ago ) but there's an example on display at lest.

btw:  when I attended a Model Club years age one the  Fellas "scratchbuilt" a model of a RAAF Sycamore Whirlybird

big deal some may think ......  but,but it was the size of an actual Dragonfly ! 

DC brought the Model in a Matchbox .

cheery "modellin' " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

14 hours ago, Baldy said:

Beautifully done- very nice finish and nice detailing.

Cheers

Malcolm 

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen, appreciated.

Cheers PJ

12 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

But....but.......you’ve done an Air Force one😮

very nice job  as always Peter. I admit to doing a double take when I saw your name attached to such a recent release!

lovely job

cheers

Bruce

Ha you are right Bruce - it was a bit of a dilemma deciding which airframe to do. As you say the Navy had some very striking schemes including some with extensive banding on the boom which I am sure would make an interesting model.

Included in the kit are decals for the blue/white aussie navy bird which I may do at some point. 

I guess the reason I attacked a recent release with not much extra detailing was to overcome a phase of boredom. I have way too many kits on the go at various stages of completion so decided I needed to finish something and the little Sycamore did that nicely. Back into the shelf of doom now!!! - Cheers and regards, PJ

12 hours ago, CJP said:

Your model looks very nice in RAAF colours PJ - does the kit come with RAN markings too?

CJP

Hi CJP, Thanks for the kind comments - yes the standard kit does come with markings for a blue/white bird XD653 from HMAS Melbourne.

Cheers and regards,

PJ

That's a handsome looking RAAF Sycamore,the overall silver colour clearly shows the beautiful yet simple outline of the machine.It served very well in Malaya during the counter insurgency war during the 1950s.Even the Yellow Rescue Sycamores were used.