F-4E ECM pods for Vietnam 1972

Plumbum

I have an F-4E model kit and would like to do a MIGCAP flying out of Korat in 1972. I read that one pilot stated his load was a center fuel tank, 3 Sparrows in the fuselage wells, the left front Sparrow well had an ECM pod. Fuel tanks on both left and right outer wing pylons and 2 Sidewinders on the left and right inner wing pylons.

What was the ECM pod used on the left front Sparrow well? Was it an ALQ-87 ,ALQ-71, ALQ-131 ?

Thanks for any help.---John

It definitely would NOT be an ALQ-131, as that pod didn't even exist then.

The pod(s) carried depended on what the expected threat was.

It could have carried any of the ALQ-71 variants , the ALQ-72 variants, the ALQ-87 variants or the ALQ-101 variants. All had different antenna configurations, depending on the frequencies to be jammed and different lengths, depending on how many canisters (Cans) they had installed. The later ALQ-101(V)-8 looked a lot like the early ALQ-119 pods.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
More info
  • Thanks 1

For a Korat-based F-4E in 1972 I would use an AN/ALQ-87 or AN/ALQ-101, the latter being the earlier versions [no later than (V)-3] which were short or long pods without the deeper gondola.

(Udorn MiGCAP F-4Ds often carried the pods under the inner wing pylons, usually a combo of an early ALQ-71 and short -101 special in 1972.) 

Don't know what scale you're working in but the old 1/48 Monogram F-4C/D kit, which was pantographed down to 1/72 and released under the Revell brand, had both types of ECM pod included. The big 1/32 Tamiya has a pair of '87s and the '101s are made by GT Resin in that scale. IIRC the '87 is included in the Hasegawa weapons sets. 

HTH

Tony 

Thanks, I am working in 1/72 scale. I have the Revell 1/72 F-4C/D kit but that ALQ-87 is spoken for, I also have the Revell 1/72 F-105D kit that needs one. I am building 2 Korat 388th planes, an F-105D from 1966 and an F-4E from 1972, both piloted by Ed Rasimus.---John

I just looked in my F-4C/D kit and there are 2 ECM pods. One I know is an ALQ-87 and the other looks like a longer thinner ALQ-101 ? Does that sound right. I am guessing I can use the ALQ-101 on the 1972 F-4E stationed in Korat.---John

P.s. the ca.1966-67 F-105D Thud would use the ALQ-71, two of which are included in the Trumpeter F-105G Wild Weasel kit. 

Ed Rasimus' 1972 Korat-based F-4E was more likely to use the ALQ-87, or a pair of them. Udorn used the ALQ-101 more, and Ubon both types. 

HTH rather than hinders,

Tony 

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
On 2/6/2019 at 8:15 PM, Plumbum said:

I have an F-4E model kit and would like to do a MIGCAP flying out of Korat in 1972. I read that one pilot stated his load was a center fuel tank, 3 Sparrows in the fuselage wells, the left front Sparrow well had an ECM pod. Fuel tanks on both left and right outer wing pylons and 2 Sidewinders on the left and right inner wing pylons.

What was the ECM pod used on the left front Sparrow well? Was it an ALQ-87 ,ALQ-71, ALQ-131 ?

Thanks for any help.---John

This was shot at Udorn Thailand some time September 1972.It a MIGCAP prep the aircraft F-4E ZF 67-0327. Was TDY from Florida. I was TDY to Udorn RTAFB and late August we had F-4E's starting to be a regular party to the MIGCAP. At one time on any given day would be a mix of D's and E aircraft.

F-4E-ZF-67-0327

Apologies for the quality. Could not afford a fancy 35mm camera at that time. I would venture to guess that the MIGCAP aircraft at Korat, Ubon, and Takhali would be near the same. This next photo was sent to me by Don Jay and it is an RF-4C OZ 69--349 again taken from Udorn RTAFB April 1973. Note on station 2 the left inboard pylon a ALQ-119 pod. According to  Don Jay the ALQ-119 starting showing up that year.

RF-4C-69-0349-14_TRS-Udorn-0473-1-(R)

Also note on the right inboard pylon station 8 appears to be a ALQ-87. Hope this helps and not to confuse. Aircraft configurations can get confusing at times.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1