Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Chrissy_J

Hazard lights/warning lights in 1/24 scale

Recommended Posts

Quick question, folks: anyone got a source for amber warning lights (bars or domes), as seen on UK highway maintenance vehicles?

Google is not being helpful, unless I'm asking the question wrongly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try searching for '1/24 light bar', that may bear fruit.

 

Here's one

 

http://www.policecarmodels.com

 

No promises as to reliability or accuracy, but I do recall seeing the name in old copies of Scale Auto Magazine back when I bought it (quite a while ago, admittedly).

 

Failing that, make a master and learn the fine and noble art of plunge moulding... :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about LED of suitable dimensions (RS Components) with Tamiya Clear Orange X-26??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bloke who runs police car models is excellent. Dealt with him a few times over the years 

Bruce 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should add - if you want dome lights then a suitable length of clear sprue can be turned to shape with the aid of a Dremel tool or drill and shaped with file, sandpaper, knife etc then polished with Micromesh and/or Tamiya polish. Paint as required and glue to a suitable base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rob G said:

Try searching for '1/24 light bar', that may bear fruit.

 

Here's one

 

http://www.policecarmodels.com

 

No promises as to reliability or accuracy, but I do recall seeing the name in old copies of Scale Auto Magazine back when I bought it (quite a while ago, admittedly).

 

Failing that, make a master and learn the fine and noble art of plunge moulding... :D

Some interesting designs there, worth considering. I don't mind them being clear, I can paint them as required.

I'm not starting down the path of making my own parts though, so far it's been a lot of effort for very little reward; I can't achieve the finish I want.

 

5 hours ago, sennapod said:

How about LED of suitable dimensions (RS Components) with Tamiya Clear Orange X-26??

I've done this before in 1/35 scale but I haven't yet found the right size for 1/24. Good idea, though, but I'm looking for light bars as well.

 

3 hours ago, Rob G said:

I should add - if you want dome lights then a suitable length of clear sprue can be turned to shape with the aid of a Dremel tool or drill and shaped with file, sandpaper, knife etc then polished with Micromesh and/or Tamiya polish. Paint as required and glue to a suitable base.

This is another one of those moments when I wish I had a mini lathe (along with needing air intake trumpets, cone filters and rolled exhaust ends). But it's worth trying. 

 

Edited by Chrissy_J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must simple round things can be 'machined' in an electric drill. It's not elegant, but with care it works. Intake trumpets don't even need the drill- aluminium tube, a scalpel and a centre punch will replicate them with ease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rob G said:

 Intake trumpets don't even need the drill- aluminium tube, a scalpel and a centre punch will replicate them with ease.

That's a damn fine idea, and one I can easily try - I just bought a set of punches for work. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chrissy_J said:

That's a damn fine idea, and one I can easily try - I just bought a set of punches for work. Thanks!

 

No worries. Use the scalpel on the inside to make a thin edge, then gently stretch the opening until it flares. The trick is getting a set the same- I've got close with 2 for motorbikes but I've yet to manage a decent match for more.

 

There may be YouTube videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×