H.S. Buccaneer with new questions

Hello I have a quick question about the A.&A.E.E. H.S. Buccaneer XW988 in the Green/yellow scheme.

wP678lO.png

I have a Frog Buccaneer S2a

kQRge8h.jpg

and was wondering if i could build this plane from this kit. The plane is an S2b but without the enlarged belly. I have found a number of photo’s to verify this. If i cant build it as XW988. i will just go ahead and build it as a standard RAF S2a in the green/grey camouflage. Any opinions and thoughts gratefully appreciated. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I have no experience of the Frog kit, so I am not sure what is included for weapon pylons for the wings.

XW988 was an S2B without the bomb door tank mod. Many photo's have it clean wing, but when fitted the pylons are the longer "universal pylons" for Martel missile carriage. Only the B's had these.

Frog label the kit an S2A, but the artwork show it carrying  AR Martels, which would make it an S2B!

Externally the only difference between an A & B were the pylons, A's had the stubby "pre martel" pylons. All the other differences were internal.

So, the basic answer is yes you could build it as XW988. If they are the wrong pylons, then build it clean wing.

Rob.

Edited by Phone Phixer
  • Thanks 1

Yup. They look like a very basic interpretation of the longer universal pylon. They just need the Martel launcher rails removing to have the basic pylon.

Then it can look like this.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/XW988

Top right and second row left pictures.

Edited by Phone Phixer
  • Thanks 1

Dennis

I seem to remember that the Frog fin is short in the vertical plane (memory says by 1/8" but that needs checking) and needs extending.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Quick question for those in the know ? S2A Buccaneers what are the cockpit and wheel well interior colors ? Many Thanks in advance for any help ? 

Dennis 

Undercarriage bays were a light grey colour (under all the muck and oil). The same as the 2B's.

xv361%2012.jpg

xv361%2026.jpg

The cockpit was a medium sea grey colour.

xv361%2042.jpg

All photo's from the excellent BM walkaround section.

Rob.

• Thanks 1

It wasn't a fitting seen on front line operational aircraft, just on the test fleet aircraft used by RAE/A&AEE etc. A very unscientific trawl of google images shows it was present at least as early as 1983.

Mark.

Edited by Harry Lime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1