question about aircraft that carried operation starkey markings

brewerjerry

Hi

The Starkey & Typhoon thread got me thinking, so to avoid thread drift 

here goes 

starkey marking have always interested me since seeing a photo of two whirlwinds about 30yrs ago

i know apart from the typhoons discussed, 

bostons/whirlwinds/spitfires and raf mustangs carried them

and an area for further research by me is the raf venturas and the 8thAF B-26's 

My mind however wonders if the air sea rescue units over the 'invasion force'  might carried the markings as well

and wondered if anyone had seen any extra info

cheers

jerry 

Well Jerry,  the whole Starkey question has been on my mind, and just now I thought, "What about the Spit XII squadrons?"

91 Squadron Summary 8 Sept: "Intensive operations are taking place tomorrow, and special camouflage of white and black stripes on the outer portions of the wings was put on after operations finished tonight." [camouflage?!]

Hmm, I've been thinking about Typhoons, but suddenly I find myself wanting to build a Spit XII, especially since I met a 41 Squadron pilot once who (I just discovered) was on a couple of sorties that day!  If I'd known then what I know now...

bob

• Like 4

Hi bob

Seems there are quite a few starkey options to yet be uncovered

a Spitfire XII, the starkey scheme should make for a nice looking model

cheers

jerry

No, 164 and 184 Squadrons were aware of Spartan- 164 had pilots at readiness, but were not called for.  They didn't mention the markings, and the other three squadrons didn't indicate anything special (at least one was still training).

I accidentally looked at 168, flying Mustangs, and they did participate and mentioned the aircraft "being painted black and white".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gingerbob said:

No, 164 and 184 Squadrons were aware of Spartan- 164 had pilots at readiness, but were not called for.  They didn't mention the markings, and the other three squadrons didn't indicate anything special (at least one was still training).

I accidentally looked at 168, flying Mustangs, and they did participate and mentioned the aircraft "being painted black and white".

Hi Bob

Thanks for the research 👍

So many potential model subjects,  I personally would presume if 164 Sqn was on standby there is a possiblility that they carried the markings 

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

5 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Hi

Thanks,  I am actually lucky enough to own some ww2 original prints of a couple of the whirlwind photos in that thread 

i never managed to find out who owns the negatives/copyright , ( presumably westlands or the goverment ) as I always wanted larger prints

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry

6 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

I personally would presume if 164 Sqn was on standby there is a possiblility that they carried the markings

Yes, I agree that there is a possibility.  I was only reporting that there was no ORB mention ("proof").  With 17 (or 16 1/2) Typhoon squadrons, I can see why they might have kept the Hurris only on standby.

Incidentally, it occurred to me that moving the stripes inboard (for the next year's "Exercise") mostly avoids the "more paint on ailerons" problem, though I have no idea whether that was a consideration.  Obviously not enough of one to prevent the Starkey design!

Edited by gingerbob