Fairey Barracuda MkII, FAA, RNAS Katukurunda, Ceylon

11 hours ago, Harold55 said:

Great job on the aircraft and great photography also.  Was wondering if you used masks for that greenhouse sitting on top the fuselage. 

Thanks Harold, I didn`t use any masks, painted free hand over three sittings with boo boos tided up using a cocktail stick dabbed in white spirit before it dried.

Cheers Russ

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Another brilliant Barra. You really have a great feel for this rather strange bird. I wish SH would reissue it.

Thanks Greg, I believe they have very recently.

Cheers Russ

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Another superb job there Russ, I really like this. I recently read Barracuda Pilot by Dunstan Hadley who was on Barras in India/Ceylon, this model has given those writings flesh to my mind.  👍

Steve.

Thanks Steve, both you and Martian Hale have mentioned that book, I think I`ll have to look for one now.

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

What a great build, Russ. A really lovely finish, weathered just right! And I agree with all the positive comments about the background and photography too.

I'm just in the throws of building this kit myself - foolishly thinking "you never see these built"! Glad you've proved me wrong there. I found that, from above, the port wing on mine was raked forward at more of an angle that the starboard one, and from ahead it was at least 1.5mm lower at the "shoulder" where it joins the fuselage! So I have spent quite a bit of time and effort trying to correct that...

I plan to paint mine as a post war 815 NAS aircraft in EDSG over Sky... I shall be doing very well indeed if it turns out anything like as nice as yours...

Thanks for sharing - very inspirational.

Cheers,

Nick.

IMG_1329

• Thanks 1

On 07/02/2019 at 23:06, russ c said:

Thanks Greg, I believe they have very recently.

Cheers Russ

Thanks Russ. I had a look. I was Keen to get a torpedo version to complete my torpedo plane collection, but the one they have up doesn't have them. The frustrating thing is the 1/72 does. I will give it some thought on what to do.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Thanks Russ. I had a look. I was Keen to get a torpedo version to complete my torpedo plane collection, but the one they have up doesn't have them. The frustrating thing is the 1/72 does. I will give it some thought on what to do.

Hi Greg, couldn`t you use one from a Tamiya Beaufighter or Swordfish ?

1 hour ago, russ c said:

Hi Greg, couldn`t you use one from a Tamiya Beaufighter or Swordfish ?

I've already got the float Swordfish's torpedo set aside for the Albacore. The Mk1 Swordfish keeps it's a own torpedo. I'm thinking maybe depth charges. Still any build will be next year I would say. This years torpedo plane will be the promised Ju 188A. However, I will get the kit while it is there in a few days.