1/72 & 1/48 - Handley Page H.P.42E & W by One Man Model (3D printed models) - released

Homebee

7 hours ago, general melchett said:

I'd definitely be interested in the 1/48th version...you could really go to town on that, quite a beast.

Will it have all the details that Moa is putting into his HP.42 build?

Chris

• Like 1

8 hours ago, general melchett said:

I'd definitely be interested in the 1/48th version...you could really go to town on that, quite a beast.

As would I

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, One Man Model said:

1/72 HP42W kit contents:

My test model assembled image:

I will paint it by silver later.

Geeze! Do you think you could post smaller pictures? I can almost see some details in these.

Chris

The problem with all photos from this producer is not only they are small, but also of low resolution which hides the main problem of 3D printed items - the coarse surface resulted from the printing process. This is a huge problem if you need to fix it and still want to retain surface details. Now if his photos are intentionally such because of this reason or not, I can't tell.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MarkoZG said:

The problem with all photos from this producer is not only they are small, but also of low resolution which hides the main problem of 3D printed items - the coarse surface resulted from the printing process. This is a huge problem if you need to fix it and still want to retain surface details. Now if his photos are intentionally such because of this reason or not, I can't tell.

Bigger pictures can be found in his FB site: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005590215920&__tn__=%2CdC-R-R&eid=ARBiFFXHR7oamLeuADJDlv79xfAS3Kn1Bz_Qqc2jlTUstehL1AgPNi9d6SaPaKtjgSjCcia19oRER0oa&hc_ref=ARSsmolgHo6RV_gJcodXC_rM8NfuelIZ4nt96LJ7hKmniM8pM9WgW9t2qrpNfsbL0OI&fref=nf

This is the completion of the Handley Page HP42W 1/72 test model!!

This year, I will release the Short Scylla and one more aircraft(Whitley Whitworth Ensign or Potez CAMS 161 or Blackburn Beverley).

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1017049251824739&id=100005590215920

Please refer the following link to eliminate texture efficiently.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1016589651870699&id=100005590215920

Exactly what I feared. Surface of the finished model looks horrible and it has some very visible shortcomings like to thick/wide windscreen frames. For a years there are smooth 3D printing methods in which clear parts are printed, so there is no real excuse for 3D printing with this result. Sorry.

37 minutes ago, MarkoZG said:

Exactly what I feared. Surface of the finished model looks horrible and it has some very visible shortcomings like to thick/wide windscreen frames. For a years there are smooth 3D printing methods in which clear parts are printed, so there is no real excuse for 3D printing with this result. Sorry.

I know! In some of the photos the wing surface looks like something Hugo Junkers built.

Chris

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 4:47 PM, MarkoZG said:

It's a little more complicated than that.

He's running FDM (filament) printers. which are the most economical 3D print technology to run, but have (for the modeller) a fairly poor surface finish, as noted.  You can improve this with lower layer heights - make each vertical slice thinner - but doing so will dramatically lengthen the print times; if your slices are half as thick, it takes twice as long to print the model.  He's probably doing 0.2 mm layers, about the thickness of a business card.  It would look much smoother at .05 mm layers (half the thickness of a sheet of paper), but that would take 4x as long to print, and he'd have to raise his prices accordingly.  The prints still wouldn't be perfect - I've said before that FDM just isn't a great technology for modellers' needs, as it's a glorified hot glue gun (and I own one) - but they'd be much better, and much closer to usable.

However.

For the kinds of things he's doing, there aren't a whole lot of alternatives.  He's doing large subjects, and large prints.  That requires a large build envelope.  And there's nothing anywhere near as economical as an FDM printer for $ per cm3.  IIRC, he uses an Original Prusa, which is about $1000 and prints as well as any other consumer-grade FDM printer on the market.  A Form3 SLA printer would produce much better parts (it's what companies like SBS use for their masters) but it starts at $3500 and has about 60% of the build volume.  The Form 3L has a bigger build volume, but it's $10 000.  

So yes, there are technologies that could produce better parts.  And he could even use the same technology to produce better parts.  But there are some pretty big drawbacks to those technologies, which would either raise the prices dramatically or simply make his business untenable.  And while II would (and have) very much suggest that modellers temper their expectations, I think the decisions he's made are fairly understandable, even if I don't necessarily agree with them.

• Like 7

I have his SARO Princess which looks amazing. The surface is a bit rough but for the price and size it’s fantastic value. Personally I like the challenge of non-Tamigawa kits and the building effort, and in this case it is not insurmountable, far from. The HP.42 is already on its way 🙂 !

• Like 2

I'm with Mr Lundin - this site is called Britmodellers, not Britassemblers and Mr Shimizu has gone to an enormous amount effort to give us a rarity. Let's give him credit for his work and the very reasonable price for this kit. It would be nice to have the option of an HP45 with the shorter cabins and large mail storage but it would not be too hard to modify the kit. Perhaps, and with our support, now that the hard work has been done, he will be able to afford a bigger printer and produce later kits to a higher standard but there are links to sites where these lower quality prints can be smoothed off. Having wrestled with the Contrail vacform back in the late 'noughties' (and been fortunate enough to score 'Best in Show' at ScaleACT 2009 and had the model feature over two issues of Plastic Modelart here in Oz in early 2010) and now having my gob well smacked while watching Moa's work on the same kit, I can only heap praise on anyone doing the job of making kits of aeroplanes like the Heracles, Ensign, Argosy and such-like. If I could make a suggestion to Shimizu-san, that would be to consider marketing the whole she-bang on a CD or thumb-drive so that enterprising modellers could print their own kit of parts on whatever quality 3D printer they have access to. I imagine that does have copyright issues but perhaps some sort of 'self-destruct after one print' message in the programme would do the trick.

Anyhoo, just a few of my thoughts - take 'em or leave 'em.

Edited by Horatio Gruntfuttock
name spelt incorrectly - sorry
  • Like 6

VERY Interesting - might be a whole new avenue in the modeling industry ! I have a hunch the development of high quality printers will give a tremendous opportunity to talented one-person companies. Just develop decent files and sell them to anyone willing to take the plunge - after all this might save us months of filing, sanding and puttying! ( Ooh all these hours lost originally devoted to practical meditation - Nirvana will have to wait a  little longer ......)😇

On 4/17/2019 at 2:40 PM, Paul Bradley said:

$100 plus shipping - that's not bad.....

Especially when the Contrail vacuform is going for similar or higher prices on a wellknown auction site...

Peter

A further to my earlier comments - I have noted that Shimizu-san advertises the HP 42 East and West in his opening spiel/ I do hope he is aware that the HP42 was the one used on the western routes by Imperial Airways while the eastern routes through to India used the HP45 which, while externally pretty similar to the other version, had an entirely different interior. The latter had two seperate smaller saloons with a large storage section in between on the starboard side for the mail and goods to be delivered to the far reaches of the empire. This compartment is not present in the HP42, which had longer saloons for more passengers on the shorter European services where mail was less of an issue. The most noticeable visible difference between the variants, as far as I can ascertain, is that the fifth window from the front on the starboard side of the '45 does not have curtains as it is a part fo the mail store.

As with all my comments, I stand to be corrected but I have done quite a bit of research into this beast as a part fo my build of the Contrail vac-form kit.

My HP42 interior arrangement is based on several images and the Contrail instruction sheets. I have confirmed yesterday that the Hengist had no curtain inside 5th window. But the Horatius has curtain. 

I can mention that curtain is not necessary on the Hengist 5th window in my instruction.

I'm not an HP42 expert and I cannot take much time on particular aircraft. I do not take time on research. I have to release new model by short time period. Some mistakes or lacks of details would exist like Mach 2 or A monster kits.  If I can get drawings or images, I can revise my parts shape little by little, not immediately.

• Like 1

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1023218844541113&id=100005590215920

[1/72 Handley Page HP42W 110$ or 12000Yen including shipping charge]
[1/48 Handley Page HP42W 230$ or 25000Yen including shipping charge]
This is fuselage main parts. I'm making data and fabricating mainwing parts now. Then, I will check the fitting.
By this weekend, I will be able to begin shipping 1/48 kits.

64505933.jpg

V.P.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, One Man Model said:

I do not take time on research. I have to release new model by short time period. Some mistakes or lacks of details would exist like Mach 2 or A monster kits. 

While I admire your honesty, it's not much of an endorsement......

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3D modelling is indisputably the future of the hobby, printers and the media well only get better and the price of both will drop too. 20 years ago the 1st generation of scanners were well over a £1000 and took an age to scan. Now they are an integral part of a home printer one can get for under a £100 and spit out scans in a few moments.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid