Tornado Warning STGB Chat

Colin W

Hi Chaps

Well the Storm warning is over and now joins the original Tornado in retirement.

Many thanks to all those who joined in as well as those who finished.

In summary we had 40 Tornado (and 1 house build)s started thanks to  @Christer A

We had 23 completed models in the Gallery including contributions from 3 members who each managed 2 completed models. Well done to @nimrod54@exdraken@theplasticsurgeon

Galley entries started with a lot of F3s including an unexpected Italian F3 from @At Sea but the GR1's came in strong and finally the GR4s started to appear at the end. Overall we had a good spread with only the F2 missing which sums up the aircrafts career.

MRCA = 1

GR1 inc GR1P and IDS = 11

F2 =0

F3 =8

GR4 = 3

I was very impressed by the 1/144 scale entries but we managed a 1/100 as well as the usual 1/72 and 1/48 fare. Although we started with a lot of 1/72, we ultimately got 9 of the former and 10 of the latter. The late appearance of the 1/48 models reflects on the complexity of the Revell kit although we did see some sterling efforts with the Italleri and Hobby Boss kits.

I was very pleased to get the RAE, Luftwaffe, Saudi and Italians represented along side the RAF. I did expect more than 1 Luftwaffe example other than the excellent and well armed example from @exdraken which managed to rocket over the finish line in the final moments. A good range of RAF squadrons were represented as well with 9, 15, 16, 27,  56, 65, 111 and 617 getting modelled with mainly standard and 7 display schemes. 

Thanks to @Col. for support in co-hosting,  @Jabba for his many supportive comments to all and to @Marlin for the food updates. 

Finally a special mention goes to @Muzz for actually building a GR4 in the farewell scheme which was the original concept for the Group build.

Well done to all.

I wish everyone a Happy Christmas and hope you get all the kits you want for a great 2021. 

Colin W

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Wow, that is many different squadrons! And you left out the 1435 flt!

To Balance it out,  together with @Marlin and @Christer A, we actually wanted to to the ultimate German quater Staffel armed with the ultimative Mehrzweckwaffe MW-1, I do hope they will join the mission later ;)

• Like 3

Quick question. Just after the first Gulf War back in the early 1990's my son started buying a monthly magazine that came with a "free" Tornado kit - you know the type of thing - by the time you have bought enough mags to get all the parts you have paid about 5 times the normal purchase price of the kit. It was actually not a bad one - I must see if I can find the wheel and pitot tube that have broken off.

DSC04320-crop

As a matter of interest does anybody have any idea what make it might be - maybe Italeri or perhaps Esci? It has 4 bombs under the fuselage, tanks with sidewinders on the pylons, Skyshadow and Boz, and a IFR which can be built open or closed, and the wings pivot if that's any help. There is no serial but it is marked as "Debbie/Snoopy Airways". Panel lines are recessed.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

I hopelessly didn't finish my build in time........ but work is still progressing on her, she's been undercoated, some minor correction work required and then I can start painting.

I'm going to complete her over in the KUTA thread, with luck!

I'll post links between the threads